Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Overtraining or myth?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Your wife does WP right???? How can u say BBs dont put strain on their CNS. I think they do more then "1 rep max " guys

WP? I don't know that acronym. My wife competes in PLing (has national and a world record) and BJJ (#1 in the World) right now. She's also competed in Oly lifting (made top 5 SHW's in the US) as well as other sports.

POB answered your question and CNS fatigue.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
We put ridiculous weights on top of our spinal cords and squat it.. Or we drape it from our arms. When you unrack 600lbs on your back your brain is saying OMG WTF ARE YOU DOING STOP THIS PUT IT DOWN WE'RE GONNA DIIIIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!! but then you squat anyway. That is how you strain the CNS. A bodybuilder can certainly overtrain, but its muscle fatigue not CNS fatigue. Its tougher to detect when a BB is overtraining. Basically, you are under eating and will get flat and smaller.

I agree 100%. I have always believed that as a bodybuilder if your eating enough food you will not likely over train. To me I consider over training a CNS issue. As far as muscle groups if you train them too much you can actually make the muscle smaller. Your just training them too much. I feel the most CNS fatigue durring heavy ass leg days. In rare cases of real over training the person will never recover.

A

audix2359

May 23, 2012
We put ridiculous weights on top of our spinal cords and squat it.. Or we drape it from our arms. When you unrack 600lbs on your back your brain is saying OMG WTF ARE YOU DOING STOP THIS PUT IT DOWN WE'RE GONNA DIIIIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!! but then you squat anyway. That is how you strain the CNS.

That's funny as hell but so true.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
We put ridiculous weights on top of our spinal cords and squat it.. Or we drape it from our arms. When you unrack 600lbs on your back your brain is saying OMG WTF ARE YOU DOING STOP THIS PUT IT DOWN WE'RE GONNA DIIIIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!! but then you squat anyway. /QUOTE]

I know plenty of bodybuilders that can squat/rep that amount if heavy weight defines CNS strain ,I know that's not the stuff of the elite power lads but I don't see a greal deal of disparity strength wise between a strong BB and a powerlifter .

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Anyone that deadlifts heavy strains their CNS even if it's heavy 5's same with squats but it's the deadlift that will gauge your CNS strength IMO as it is the most taxing lift.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
600lb dead lift 8 % body fat yea BB don't stress their CNS HAHAHAHA

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You wanna see deadlifts. Ok, here ya go....

Last edited by a moderator:
RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
I think we all stand by what we said. BBers using machine to lift a weight which is a push/pull motion that doesn't stress the body nearly as a bar with plates on it. It fact it's the lazy way of lifting. Let me work my back while I sit on my ass or work my legs while I'm sitting down. You're right, that would stress the shit outta my CNS, lol.

I think this is a pretty narrow view; I've trained with bodybuilders that use heavy compounds as a basis, and simply use cables/machines as additional work to bring up lagging body parts, encourage additional hypertrophy, and train muscles on a different plane.

I don't think they're lazy, even though I don't subscribe to to their methodologies.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think this is a pretty narrow view; I've trained with bodybuilders that use heavy compounds as a basis, and simply use cables/machines as additional work to bring up lagging body parts, encourage additional hypertrophy, and train muscles on a different plane.

I don't think they're lazy, even though I don't subscribe to to their methodologies.

So those BBers are training with >100% for the big 3? Their using chains, bands, slingshots, etc so they can train with even more weight and stress their CNS as much as possible to be able to handle those insanely heavy weights? They make sure they take ample rest time so their 100% for those main lifts, each and every time? Their lifting weight so damn heavy they have to schedule deload weeks just so they can continue to train that way?

I'll answer these questions for you.... no, they don't. They do train heavy but their not stressing their CNS b/c they're performing high rep sets with little rest time. They're not working with maximal weight and they shouldn't b/c their goal is hypertrophy and not strength. Those 2 things are accomplished differently.

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
So to teach full CNS fatigue, one needs to use chains, bands, a slingshot, and similar methodologies?

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
So to teach full CNS fatigue, one needs to use chains, bands, a slingshot, and similar methodologies?

What BI is describing is the level of excursion being performed most BBers wouldn't put themselves through this because it would take away from their goals.

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
What BI is describing is the level of excursion being performed most BBers wouldn't put themselves through this because it would take away from their goals.

I fully understand what he's trying to say.

I happen to disagree with his assertion that bbers can't/don't reach CNS fatigue or are not subject to the ails of overtraining.

It can happen even with sub maximal weights, the conditions just vary.

IMHO. Again, not a bodybuilder so their protocols don't interest nor apply to me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic