Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

495# shrugs

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Seems like there are a lot of people here that are hyper-critical of others in the gym. Yeah, there's some people that bug me in the gym I go to, but what do you expect? It's a public place that draws people all over the spectrum in terms of development, knowledge, and seriousness.

Brodel154

Brodel154

MuscleHead
Jul 3, 2011
I shrug 585 so I must be doing it to make myself feel powerful?

Nothing against you at all gixxer, but there is really no reason to put that much weight on to shrug. You should put that effort into heavy ass deads.

You can get a more than sufficient shrug workout with 315 no matter your body weight. Granted your form is what it should be. Again, this is not directed towards you at all. I just see too many 180lb ers with imaginary lat syndrome walking around the gym I go to shrugging 400 + pounds, for what reason?

Growth2

Growth2

VIP Member
Nov 19, 2010
I laugh at people like that, I see no point in it. Im a big boy and I never go past 315 with shrugs, I can easily rep 10-12 at that weight. If I go any heavier, I don't "feel" it. To each their own....

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^Laugh at me then, I can stand there and shrug 315 all day and it won't do shit for me. It's too easy.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Nothing against you at all gixxer, but there is really no reason to put that much weight on to shrug. You should put that effort into heavy ass deads.

You can get a more than sufficient shrug workout with 315 no matter your body weight. Granted your form is what it should be. Again, this is not directed towards you at all. I just see too many 180lb ers with imaginary lat syndrome walking around the gym I go to shrugging 400 + pounds, for what reason?

Using that logic then why lift heavy on any single muscle group at all? There's no real reason to put a lot of weight on any muscle group, that is, unless you're trying to make it stronger and bigger............

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
how about post for us a video of your 585# shrugs gix. that should satisfy everyone...........

Brodel154

Brodel154

MuscleHead
Jul 3, 2011
Using that logic then why lift heavy on any single muscle group at all? There's no real reason to put a lot of weight on any muscle group, that is, unless you're trying to make it stronger and bigger............

What I'm saying is, if you're doing heavy deads, then there is no reason for you to be using that much weight for shrugs. Just curious, what is your height and weight?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I've lost track.... Is the issue:

A. Occupant was taking up the squat rack
B. Occupant was using bad shrug form
C. Occupant was shrugging 495#
D. Occupant can shrug more than he deadlifts
E. Occupant only deadlifts 365#
F. All of the above

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
how about post for us a video of your 585# shrugs gix. that should satisfy everyone...........

That doesn't prove any kind of point that we're contesting. When you say that you turn this into a "I don't think gixx can do that" conversation. I'm not going to post a video of me doing anything, nor am I going to post any pictures. Absolutely zero to prove, there's a couple peeps that know me that could chime in if they'd like.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I shrug 585 so I must be doing it to make myself feel powerful?

Nope, the comment was directed at the "tuff guys" who can't actually lift the weights they are using, but try and make it out like they can by doing 1 rep maxes with cheat form.

You do 585 for reps? Dayum!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Seems like there are a lot of people here that are hyper-critical of others in the gym. Yeah, there's some people that bug me in the gym I go to, but what do you expect? It's a public place that draws people all over the spectrum in terms of development, knowledge, and seriousness.

I've lost track.... Is the issue:

A. Occupant was taking up the squat rack
B. Occupant was using bad shrug form
C. Occupant was shrugging 495#
D. Occupant can shrug more than he deadlifts
E. Occupant only deadlifts 365#
F. All of the above

I think to answer both of these it was more about the wild gesticulation, grunting and moaning etc from an exercise done poorly and with little to no purpose (shrugs have a purpose, just not 1RM shrugs). Basically it was disruptive I guess????

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic