Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

495# shrugs

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
i dont care if you are a badass or not. dont be doing shrugs in the squat rack on the day when i want to squat! or atleast look like you could deadlift the same amount of weight!

or don't be DOING BARBELL CURLS AT ALL...unless its 135lb or more in the squat rack when i wanna squat!

meetcake

meetcake

Sep 29, 2010
there was a guy the other day at the gym doing curls infront of the damn WATER FOUNTAIN! WTF?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
there was a guy the other day at the gym doing curls infront of the damn WATER FOUNTAIN! WTF?

i suppose that way if maybe he passed out from the effort he would be close to water so they could splash it on him???

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
What numbers are you putting up squatting ATW ???

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
What numbers are you putting up squatting ATW ???

im not :D things hurt too much these days so i am sticking to the reps and not the weight. i dont think i have done over 185# all year. i didnt even squat yesterday and it still took me over an hour to fall to sleep last night because my left hip was screaming at me. gone are the days of heavy squatting for me. :(

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
im not :D things hurt too much these days so i am sticking to the reps and not the weight. i dont think i have done over 185# all year. i didnt even squat yesterday and it still took me over an hour to fall to sleep last night because my left hip was screaming at me. gone are the days of heavy squatting for me. :(

Dont feel bad, I think last year finished it for me as well. I maxed at 315# for 4 but I think I killed my back in the process :(

Getting old SUX !!!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Dont feel bad, I think last year finished it for me as well. I maxed at 315# for 4 but I think I killed my back in the process :(

Getting old SUX !!!

i didnt do squats at all for my first year back in the gym just because i didnt want to hurt my back. bending over a surgery table and exam table all day is hard enough without a bad back and my form sucked and it hurt my back every time i did them. but i started back doing squats when i got on the smaller forums and have stayed light and just worked on form. i dont like pain but staying light and just doing reps doesnt bother my back at all. so im happy! :D

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
nope, im not doing them. but i got done doing my 10 mins on the treadmill today and go in the weightroom for some squatage and this dude had 385# loaded on the bar and it sitting on the safety catch. grrrrrr dude comes over puts on his belt and huffs and puffs and rocks and sways and grunts and uses every muscle in his body to pull the bar up and does 3 maybe 4 kind of shrugs with it and lets it slam back down.

me in my crabby state turns to the guy using the smith and i say, what in the hell good is he doing anything and i wander away to the leg extensions. he then loads it up with 495# and repeats the mind numbing process and does 2 semi little bit of a shrug where i think it is more the fact that he is lowering his body down rather than lifting the weight up.

what is the purpose behind this? the dude is 5'8" maybe 185# and i have never seen him squat or do deads or anything of any kind of compound lifting short of the bench. he has been in the gym as long as i have and other than changing hair and his earrings, nothing else has changed. so why the big show for shrugs? is that some kind of powerlifting event that i dont know about? maybe that is it, maybe it is a new powerlifting event and he is practicing for it :rolleyes: dude, if you cant deadlift 495# then you dont need to be attempting to shrug it!

My traps came from squats and deadlifts I hardly ever shrug.

He had no purpose he is stupid.

I have no issue with aggressive training and behavior even when a heavy loaded bar set on a rack at all AS LONG AS THE PERSON IS A GENUINE TRAINING PERSON I can't stand it when it's done by some idiot.

It's how we get big and strong and if your big or strong most people don't mind either they actually respect it.

I'm a Powerlifter so yeah there is no Powerlifting without aggression.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
yesterday i walked into the gym and he was at the squat rack again, only this time, he was doing deads. i was very interested in seeing what and how he did them. i cant bitch about him doing deads there because i do the same thing.

he had 295# loaded on the bar, pulled it 3 times. i figured he would have done it for 10. but ok, then 315# went on. he pulled it one time. form was terrible. and he walked around and grunted and moaned and pumped himself up for 5 minutes before pulling it. then he threw 25# on each side and did an even more exaggerated pre pull routine. i was directly in front of him on the lying leg curl machine. he got to the bar and wrapped his straps and rolled it back and forth and grunted and straightened his legs almost completely and strained and groaned and pulled it, barely. it took everything in me to not say something about his form. it was horrible. but even harder was to not ask why he needed to do 500# shrugs when he could only pull 365# :confused:

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
This is going on in gyms all across America... It makes them feel powerful because traps can move heavy weight... Of course that's because its like a 3 inch range of motion... You should have informed him that deadlifting is a fantastic way to "get yoked" and then invited him to deadlift with you. Then you out pull the little bastard, look him in the eye and say - "You ever step foot in my rack again you little bitch, and I'll cut your huevos off"

I shrug 585 so I must be doing it to make myself feel powerful?

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic