Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Question for the Big Squatters...

R

rssum23

May 21, 2013
Spartan briefs are a good cheap brief too. I squat in single ply centurion...love titan gear. Have worn inzer and metal but titan gear crushes them IMO

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How often do you wear them in training?
I would do 3 week waves. Raw volume (5 to 7 reps below 85%) and then equipped for intensity (singles and doubles over 85%).

Here's another question....

boxer briefs or briefs???

Boxer briefs have the additional 4" on the leg while briefs do not. The additional 4" on the leg serves what purpose? Give more support to the adductors for a wide stance?

For those following this thread and are wondering what the briefs in question look like... are... we are talking about these:

Titan Powerlifting Briefs Boxers - IPF and Unlimited - Regular or Wide Stance

Just more support with the longer leg length. I don't think that's necessary for your purposes. You should just be concerned with hip support. You aren't trying to squat massive weight per se. That's just a bi-product. You are just looking to prevent turning your pelvis into dust... cause you are old.

R

rssum23

May 21, 2013
Boxer briefs are basically suit bottoms. Legless design won't give as much pop but protect the hips. Also legless design ride up too much causing front wedgie feeling

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would do 3 week waves. Raw volume (5 to 7 reps below 85%) and then equipped for intensity (singles and doubles over 85%).

Just more support with the longer leg length. I don't think that's necessary for your purposes. You should just be concerned with hip support. You aren't trying to squat massive weight per se. That's just a bi-product. You are just looking to prevent turning your pelvis into dust... cause you are old.

Exactly.... So briefs only it is then. A loose pair of centurion briefs or superior briefs. It looks like the centurion are thicker.

I'll need to talk to you though b/c I may have to tweak SST with this new addition. Could I just break out the briefs on weeks 1 and 3 (heavy weeks) and leave them off on weeks 2 and 4 (lighter rep weeks).

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Exactly.... So briefs only it is then. A loose pair of centurion briefs or superior briefs. It looks like the centurion are thicker.

I'll need to talk to you though b/c I may have to tweak SST with this new addition. Could I just break out the briefs on weeks 1 and 3 (heavy weeks) and leave them off on weeks 2 and 4 (lighter rep weeks).
Be happy to help. Just keep in mind you will have a few squat sessions where you are just breaking them in. Let me know when they are in and we can go over the changes and how to break them in.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Bear in mind that the farther down the thigh and up the abdomen the gear travels, the more support you will get. The groove brief doesn't extend beyond the hip in either direction, and only gives support to the hip at deepest portion of the squat.

A single ply centurion, boss, or power pant (anything that comes down the thigh and up the abdomen) will start supporting pretty early on as you sit back into the squat. Disagreeing with Donnie (who can lunge more than I can squat) is wrong because what he is recommending will support the hip, but it will also go beyond that--and if that is what you want, it's fine. But if you are simply looking for hip support and not looking for overloading, the groove brief is your best option.

To put it another way, if you single 500 in a groove brief, you can probably grind it out raw--or come very close. If you single 500 in something that comes up the abdomen and down the thigh--it would staple you raw.

Groove briefs do suck to wear, but you get used to it.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Bear in mind that the farther down the thigh and up the abdomen the gear travels, the more support you will get. The groove brief doesn't extend beyond the hip in either direction, and only gives support to the hip at deepest portion of the squat.

A single ply centurion, boss, or power pant (anything that comes down the thigh and up the abdomen) will start supporting pretty early on as you sit back into the squat. Disagreeing with Donnie (who can lunge more than I can squat) is wrong because what he is recommending will support the hip, but it will also go beyond that--and if that is what you want, it's fine. But if you are simply looking for hip support and not looking for overloading, the groove brief is your best option.

To put it another way, if you single 500 in a groove brief, you can probably grind it out raw--or come very close. If you single 500 in something that comes up the abdomen and down the thigh--it would staple you raw.

Groove briefs do suck to wear, but you get used to it.

What's the difference between groove briefs and superior briefs other then the longer torso section of the superior briefs? Can't I just fold that over or cut it?

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
What's the difference between groove briefs and superior briefs other then the longer torso section of the superior briefs? Can't I just fold that over or cut it?

I suppose you could fold or cut them to fit your needs.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic