Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Question for the Big Squatters...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I read on FB the other day, Donnie Thompson saying that all of us raw squatters should squat in briefs to help extend the life of our hips.

This had me thinking... I'm a raw lifter and squatting is my thing. I want 675 by the years end and I won't be happy at that, I'll want more and more.... SO perhaps this would be a good idea BUT I walk out my squats and I'm also a medium stance squatter.... SO my question is, would this be a good idea and how long would it take me to learn how to squat in briefs.

Also, what briefs would you suggest? Should I get them a bit loose so I wan walk out? Should they fit right? How long will it take me to learn how to squat in them?

I even sent Donnie a FB message b/c I'm only 4-5hours away from his facility and if he wouldn't have a problem with it I'd make the drive to get his help for a day.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
No real answer for you, but I'm intrigued by this and have thought about it many times. It makes some sense to me, but I would hate to be able to handle 800 pounds until my briefs are off and then only have the hip strength for a 700 pound squat when completely raw. Catch 22? Subbed.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
There's something else to think about too.... If you always use briefs, will you become dependent on them?

I'd like to hear what porky and others have to say about this matter. I want to be in this for the long haul so I'll take whatever extra precautions I can but I also don't want any crutches.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Now that I think about it.... I talked about this a while back but never came to any conclusion.

I actually thought of picking up a pair of power pants back then since they don't help as much as briefs but do support the hips some. I'd still like to hear from others though before I pull the trigger on something.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Dude, if you are 4 hours from Donnie you should be making the trip once a month!

I drive 7 hours every month to visit the Sweatt Shop and Westside. I'll be down at Donnie's Compound for a week this summer too. Just the 3 days I spent with Donnie last year made a HUGE difference in my training and got me a 90 pound meet PR.

As for training in briefs..... do it. Get a single ply suit and just wear it with the straps down. It costs about the same and gives you the option to play with it if you'd like to.
I always recommend Overkill. Expect a long wait time since they're made to order to your exact measurements, but it's worth it. My Overkill gear from 2009 is still going strong. The stuff just lasts forever.

Donnie even has a bunch of NFL guys training in gear now. With some protection from the gear you can go heavy more often. Do something like a 4 week wave of Light gear, heavy gear, light raw, heavy raw.

As for getting weaker from training in gear..... I went to the Frantz team with a 500 raw squat. From the day I joined I didn't do more than the bar or a plate raw. All we did was full gear...... just for fun a few years ago I decided to see what I could do raw after 4 years in just gear........ 650 my first day raw. I did two more training days raw and hit 720 raw...... I didn't do any more raw training between then and now ( two years in gear only). After blowing out a knee I still just squatted 600 with no belt or wraps.

If I was competing raw I'd definitely do more raw work, but I'm definitely getting stronger from just training in gear. The mental edge is great too. After squatting 1100 in the gym in gear taking 700 raw feels like bitch weight even though it's around my top end.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Trust me.... I'm trying to make things happen but it's not as simple as pack a bag and go. I have a lot of responsibilities I don't talk about on here but I'll make it happen though. Everything in time...

One thing that has me a bit concerned is I don't have a team to train with. I train with 2 others but neither of them know a thing about gear. And no, I'm definitely not going to train with Curtis. I changed my number 3x to get away from all the bullshit with them. Steve only trains at night and I work at night so I can't train with him. That leaves me to train with some friends of mine... now they put up big numbers but we're all raw so we don't have any experience with that kind of gear. So, I wonder what the learning curve is for learning how to squat in briefs.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
BI I read that same post he made, and it had me thinking the SAME thing. I was thinking about maybe the Inzer Power Pants? Or a loose single ply pair?

Not right now, but later on, and if I am able to continue squatting.

I think you should give it a shot, and report back!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Dude, if you are 4 hours from Donnie you should be making the trip once a month!

I drive 7 hours every month to visit the Sweatt Shop and Westside. I'll be down at Donnie's Compound for a week this summer too. Just the 3 days I spent with Donnie last year made a HUGE difference in my training and got me a 90 pound meet PR.

As for training in briefs..... do it. Get a single ply suit and just wear it with the straps down. It costs about the same and gives you the option to play with it if you'd like to.
I always recommend Overkill. Expect a long wait time since they're made to order to your exact measurements, but it's worth it. My Overkill gear from 2009 is still going strong. The stuff just lasts forever.

Donnie even has a bunch of NFL guys training in gear now. With some protection from the gear you can go heavy more often. Do something like a 4 week wave of Light gear, heavy gear, light raw, heavy raw.

As for getting weaker from training in gear..... I went to the Frantz team with a 500 raw squat. From the day I joined I didn't do more than the bar or a plate raw. All we did was full gear...... just for fun a few years ago I decided to see what I could do raw after 4 years in just gear........ 650 my first day raw. I did two more training days raw and hit 720 raw...... I didn't do any more raw training between then and now ( two years in gear only). After blowing out a knee I still just squatted 600 with no belt or wraps.

If I was competing raw I'd definitely do more raw work, but I'm definitely getting stronger from just training in gear. The mental edge is great too. After squatting 1100 in the gym in gear taking 700 raw feels like bitch weight even though it's around my top end.

This topic has me really interested. I have been wanting to try on a squat suit for a long time. This might be the push I needed to give it a shot!

What's a real loose single ply suit that is for beginners? Can you still get a suit like the ones back in the 80s?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
BI I read that same post he made, and it had me thinking the SAME thing. I was thinking about maybe the Inzer Power Pants? Or a loose single ply pair?

Not right now, but later on, and if I am able to continue squatting.

I think you should give it a shot, and report back!

I messaged Donnie Thompson and he suggested I get Titan Boss Briefs. I asked if they should fit loose but I haven't gotten a response.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Loose single ply briefs don't have much of a learning curve at first. I did awesome in them my first time.

You are a guy that gets stuck mentally. Putting 600 on your back and taking it for a triple will get you used to the load and make doing it raw easy.

SAD wonders if it'd a mental **** to have to drop that weight when the briefs come off. I say look at it like a conjugate method. I box squat less than my squat. No big deal there.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I think it's a great idea, not only to keep your hips healthy but for the additional overload. A lot of big names recommend training in gear periodically (mark bell, Brandon Lilly). If nothing else, it'll get your body accommodated to having the load on your back. Let us know it goes, I'd like to give it a shot myself.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic