Latest Member
Kiddorism

Question for the Big Squatters...

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Here's a question for you #Porky ...

Donnie said I should pick up a pair of Boss Briefs. How about the Centurion Briefs? Aren't the Centurion's single ply so they wouldn't give me as much help as the double ply Boss's? I know neither will do the work for me but wouldn't it be easier to learn in singly ply and wouldn't they have more stretch since their single ply?

It depends on what you want...... Donnie recommends a LOOSE pair of multi ply as a training aid. They give less at the top - which is preferable to a raw lifter so you can break back the same as you normally would and the brief starts to catch you later in the movement. But, when it does catch it'll feel more like a box squat.

Single ply would stretch more, but if you wear them as loose as the 2-ply+ they'll give you less than 20 lbs and won't support the hips as much. Single ply needs to be worn tighter and doesn't have the stopping power - it's that stop in the bottom that Donnie likes to protect hips more...... Now, single ply could be fine, it'll give some compression and definitely let you squat more narrow. I'd say it's fine - I have a set for when I am training "raw" ..... BUT go in to it knowing that single ply doesn't last as long and is way less comfortable to wear - expect some pinching and bite marks.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Keeping this thread at the top b/c I would really be thankful if #Porky could perhaps give me a run down on briefs.

It's hard to make an informed decision when I don't have any knowledge on the subject matter. Why double ply and not single ply? Perhaps, my thoughts on single ply are completely wrong. Are there different materials I should or should not look for? Should the briefs have legs or should they be leg less? Does one work better for certain lift stance ie. wide stance, medium stance, narrow stance?

Another guess on my part... will I need to exaggerate my technique ie. sit back, spread the floor, cork screw my femur, etc??? b/c the suit will make it more difficult?

I don't have a team to go to for help so I turn to my brethren here at TID...

Thanks for the vote of confidence....

Almost any briefs will work fine as a training tool..... If you are really narrow you might need single ply, but we have plenty of raw, shoulder-width squatters that we have train wide to a box or briefs just to strengthen the hips and let them handle bigger weights.

As for sitting back - there's two sides to it. A geared squat should be wider and farther back than a raw squat. Raw you drop in and load the patella tendon for pop out of the hole ( or your wraps if you wear them... which is why you should wear them) ..... you CAN squat like this easily in single ply, and some guys try it in multi ( but it's really ugly in multi). In gear you want to sit back because you are loading the gear in the hole and not your patella tendon or wraps ( as much) .... picture pulling back a rubber band. As you break the briefs/suit will be trying to push your hips forward. You need to sit back against their push to stretch them and get pop out of the hole. The further back you sit the more they load. This is why low-bar guys like Westside's older crew wear looser gear. Too tight and you can't load it...... and why more upright guys can wear tighter gear.
So, if you want to load the gear, sit back in to it. Don't let it shove your hips forward. Some guys drop too fast or loosen up in the hole and the slingshot effect from the gear shoving your hips through can be a spectacular miss of a lift....

But, there's some good to sitting back from a training standpoint. When I squat raw I load my knee a LOT more. In briefs or to a box I sit back and my knee and ankle stay about 90* from the floor. This is way nicer on my knees.

If you are new to it all start slow. If you've never squatted wide, start raw and go to a box or bench. You have to develop the flexibility AND the hip strength. Raw squatting with a narrow stance uses a lot of the glute maximus. The glute medius ( which pushes outward, not straight back) is not used as much..... This development is why we have our raw guys train wide half of the time.... that stability from the hip translates to stability at the knee.

When you first get in to briefs start with your normal stance and just squat. As long as you don't let them shove your hips forward you'll be fine. Start LIGHT. Start with a plate and don't expect to hit depth for a few weeks - remember, it's just training. From there you can slowly move your feet out an inch every session and try to sit back more as you do that. Just remember to keep your knees out regardless of your stance.

If you can make the drive I'd also suggest taking a trip out for a weekend to work with a team that has some experience. I drive 7 hours to Westside and have to fly to go train with Donnie this summer even though I have a fantastic team here that I train with. Invest the time and it'll help 10 fold.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic