What's New?

Macgyver's HRT journey

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Today was the end of my first cycle of 5/3/1

Last set of deads was 515x1 +

Ended up pulling 515x7. That is a new PB for me.

Going to be doing my first competition in early May. It is a deadlift only meet. Just a local one organized by a guy. 30-40 guys. I figure at some point I have to take the plunge.

Looking to pull 600 for the first time!

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I wish you well on your journey macgyver! Hopefully your doc will raise your level a bit. Good luck with everything, I hope you and your Doc find the sweet spot and if not, I think Tkrex had a pretty good plan for that lol.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Good luck for the meet, you're certainly a very strong puller. Keen to hear how you get on man MF.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Good luck for the meet, you're certainly a very strong puller. Keen to hear how you get on man MF.

Thanks man. Small update for tonight.

Last set where I am going to push hard before my deadlift comp coming up in 2 weeks.

Pulled 495 x 10

This was my last set for the day. Today I experienced something I dont think I have felt before. A bunch of the guys who are also doing the deadlift comp were watching my set. They were cheering me on. I am surprised what a little adrenaline rush you get from people rooting you on. I am used to working out alone....so it was different for sure.

I actually think I had some more in me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Heel is TOTALLY rigid. I was really shocked how much a difference these made in the 'feel' of the squat. Over the years I have squatted in just about everything. Recently I have been using my ascis wrestling shoes or I have a pair of Vibram 5fingers. ABSOLUTELY nothing like these. The stability they provide, especially laterally, really improved the track of my knees in the squat. Since I took some time off squatting, my form was sloppy anyway....but just switching shoes made me almost feel like I had my 'groove' back.

The full elevated heel (3/4") is nice and perfect for me.

As for rigidity, I could not feel any compression at all. (but I did not go real heavy). I read reviews online and these got very good reviews from Oly and powerlifters. They have 2 other models ($200 range) but these got reviews just as good.

I actually found them for $100 and free shipping on ebay! Saved $50. Shoes came drop shipped right from Adidas.

here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11103074761...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The Power Perfects are very good shoes.

You also won't feel any compression b/c the soles don't compress. I've been preaching this for years that all raw lifters should squat in these if they are medium width squatters. You should also bench in them to. You'll find it easier to get leg drive for your presses.

Last edited:
Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Deads are looking good man.. But if your gonna keep trying to pull a heavy single, I'd quit doin 515x7 and 495x10... Great wrk man but for pl meets you need to work with heavier weight for triples and singles and maybe look into 5x5. Goodluck man!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Deads are looking good man.. But if your gonna keep trying to pull a heavy single, I'd quit doin 515x7 and 495x10... Great wrk man but for pl meets you need to work with heavier weight for triples and singles and maybe look into 5x5. Goodluck man!

Yes. 100%. I am in the beginnings of 5/3/1 now. Still being early on, my "+" sets often can have much more reps. But in fairness, touch-n-goes are not the same as coming to a dead stop, resetting and then pulling again.

The 495x10 was more just for fun. I am hoping that 5/3/1 yields some good progress for me. It is the first time in my life that I have done a true power routine. My bench is REALLY benefiting from it. I have no idea what my max is now, but I am confident it is now north of 405. (Prior to 5/3/1 I had been stalled right at 405 for months with no progress.)

Thanks for the advice and support!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I posted this isn your other thread, but you've got 600 easy in you at a meet. Remember with the adrenaline, nerves and excitement you should have a bit more in you.

Personally if I were you, I'd be thinking of hitting somewhere around 600 for your second attempt.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Posted this in the Vid thread, but wanted to put in my journal as well

First 600lb deadlift

OK BI and others, I REALLY planned on taking your advice, but I kind of got excited today. :)

It was totally unplanned. With the mett next week I was planning on a light workout. (I did not plan on going above my opener). Plus I have been doing most of my lifting with straps for the past few months and wanted to feel some heavy weight in my bare hands prior to the meet.

I have been struggling as you guys know,with selecting my weights for the 3 lifts. My original goal for the meet was to just pull 600 for my third attempt. (something I have never done) My fear was that I would be leaving too much on the table on my final lift.

As I went on today, I decided to just get the goal of breaking 600 out of the way. Once broken, I dont feel the pressure anymore. I can then shoot for a higher PB and if I miss it, I wont be missing my original goal of breaking 600.

This is awesome,...and I felt great. The weight was smooth and not once did I feel a breakdown in form that will come with maximal attempts. Sure it was "heavy" but I now know I can pull more.
The bad is, those heavy attempts still take a lot out of me....and now I have just over a week to recover for the meet. I will take all of next week off the gym completely and just do some active recovery workouts and stretching.

Here is the lift. I will warn you that I got a little excited when I lifted it and cursed some....It is funny, that is not like me to make a bunch of noise lifting, but something just comes over me, and excitement that builds inside and growling just comes out of me. ;)

We will see what I can pull next week! No more ceiling to worry about breaking!

Yea....I am a hard head! But this stuff is just too fun sometimes :D

Thanks for all the help guys!

a52a24b0-c7a2-401f-a599-f2162a305e4d_zpscb1771d7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for the inspiration, brother....

Nicely done.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Nice man!

Looked pretty easy for you.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for the inspiration, brother....

Nicely done.

No thank you!.... I enjoy seeing you push it as well! I have been fired up more then a few times after reading a post or two or yours or watching a new vid you post.

Nice man!

Looked pretty easy for you.

Thanks man. Felt good to do it. Been working at that for a while. Nice to have it out of the way now I dont have do say when people ask how much I deadlift "around" 600 :D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic