Latest Member
Blackenalma
What's New?

Macgyver's HRT journey

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
First off congrats on the 6 wheels that's a huge milestone. Dead lifting is all about overall body strength. The mechanic's of a lift is what we continue to strive to perfect bc the better position we put our levers in the more efficient at a given lift.

As for 5,3,1 there is a version that you can do where on week 1 & 3 you hit only the minimum reps on last set then do singles not sure of the exact percentages. I know ramrod is doing this version of 5,3,1 maybe he can chime in further.

Great job Mac!

Thanks man. I am really going to begin to focus on my mechanics. I THINK I know what my faults are, but I video my lifts too and have gotten a lot of good feedback to help out. I hope I can continue to progress.

Can only speak for myself, but my DL went from 140 to 180kg in about 6 months.

WoW....that is good progress. I am hoping that through some form improvements I can see some decent jumps as I have never really tried to hone in. I am going to follow the 5/3/1 to the letter and see how it goes. Thanks!

_________________________________\\

On another note Something came in the mail today! :D

I guess this means I can get rid of my $20 velcro one ;).... I will be interested to see if I feel different with it.

20130314_113803_zps928fe278.jpg

Now I need to kick this cold so I can put it to use. (I went with the 10mm lever)

Last edited:
FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Nice belt; I have the exact same one.

Maybe bigger waist size though.... :)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Nice belt; I have the exact same one.

Maybe bigger waist size though.... :)

They made mine from the scraps from making yours! :D

j/k big guy.....my waist aint THAT small!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Tonight I decided to shoot a little progress vid. It is 6 weeks into my surplus. I am a little behind on my eating and not exactly where I had planned on being....but I was in Disney for one week and sick for another. The scale is just moving into the lower 200's now. Up about 13-14lbs since upping cals. (the first 8-10lbs is all glycogen / water retention)

Anyway....6 weeks into surplus. 203 in the vid. Strength back 100% to pre-cut levels....and ready to make some progress. Started my 5/3/1 today. Going to really focus on developing some power now.

To go with my new power training.....I upgraded my belt....and dropped for a good pair of squatting shoes.

I went with the mid-level Adidas. The heel on the cheaper ones compress too much....but these are very nice. Cant wait to use them.

2013-03-18172923-1_zps2e9a9c37.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I decided to invest in a "real" pair of weightlifting shoes. I went with the Adidas Power Perfect 2.0

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-training-power-perfect-20-shoes/EV210?cid=G17563

They are not "top of the line" but they have all the features you would be looking for in a good squat shoe. The cheaper ones have some compression issues. These and the more expensive ones have totally rigid heels.

Today was my first squat session in them. I have to say, I really like them A LOT. I am still learning to squat again....and find my groove so to speak. The stability was UNREAL with these. I really could feel the transfer through my heels. Even better was the lateral stability from the stiff heel. I felt like my feet were glued to the floor. The heel raise (3/4" on these) really helps you transfer power through the heels.

I am doing a 5/3/1 so it is allowing me to do lighter sets right now. You can see from the vid my form is still "jerky". That said, this is the best I have felt squatting in a long time. I think, once I get a little more dialed in, these will really help push some weight with confidence.

I am still being careful with my pulled hip flexor....that said, these raised my heels up enough that I did not even feel it at the bottom. All in all.....I have to say I am VERY happy. I expect this is the start of some good stuff.

img-thing

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Those shoes look pretty good, nice choice. The heel is pretty solid on the ones you bought?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Those shoes look pretty good, nice choice. The heel is pretty solid on the ones you bought?

Heel is TOTALLY rigid. I was really shocked how much a difference these made in the 'feel' of the squat. Over the years I have squatted in just about everything. Recently I have been using my ascis wrestling shoes or I have a pair of Vibram 5fingers. ABSOLUTELY nothing like these. The stability they provide, especially laterally, really improved the track of my knees in the squat. Since I took some time off squatting, my form was sloppy anyway....but just switching shoes made me almost feel like I had my 'groove' back.

The full elevated heel (3/4") is nice and perfect for me.

As for rigidity, I could not feel any compression at all. (but I did not go real heavy). I read reviews online and these got very good reviews from Oly and powerlifters. They have 2 other models ($200 range) but these got reviews just as good.

I actually found them for $100 and free shipping on ebay! Saved $50. Shoes came drop shipped right from Adidas.

here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11103074761...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
That seems like a good price ~ I bet they make the world of difference for squats and I don't doubt that you'll notice the effects of them as soon as you start putting weight on the bar.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
5/3/1 is in the second week. Despite feeling like the workload is small...the volume from all the accessory work really put a hurting on me! BIG TIME. I need to start doing some more recovery tools....foam rolling, stretching etc. This week drops to 3 reps. Tonight again felt easy....but I know I am going to be beat down again. I am really enjoying it. Never thought squatting twice a week and deadlifting twice a week would work...but it is...and hitting me hard as hell! I have heard the accessory work really brings up everything. Time will tell!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick relaxed shot from the gym tonight.

Poofy and puffy, bulk mode ;)

2013-03-25siderelax_zpsd69b14d8.jpg

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Man, I cant catch a break. After being sick twice (pretty bad) this week I caught a stomach bug that had kept my daughter home from school all week. It came on very fast and hard. Possibly one of the worst things I have ever experienced. Man, I thought DOMs were bad from working out, well the full body DOMs that you get from puking your brains out for a day are WAY worse!

I was not able to eat food for two days. Last night at 7pm was the first time I made it out of bed and got some soup to stay down.

Well, I did not want this to screw up my progression on my workouts, but I was not sure my body could handle it.

I tried to make up two workouts....bench and deads.

Deads were supposed to go
380x3
435x3
495x3

Bench was
255x3
290x3
330x3

The deads were TOUGH.... I almost threw up several times. The last set was tough...but I got it. You can see my set-up was extended. That is because I was holding back puking from bending over. (srs)

What I was happiest about was my form stayed great. Must be because I was just concentrating on lifting. My last rep was awesome...even though I was beat. Everything rose at the same time. No early hips! This is a huge deal for me.

Here is a vid of the last set 495

Weird thing was after that, my bench sets were very easy. Almost too easy?.... I dont get it. Maybe my stomach was not ready to bend over just yet?....

I skipped my accessory work and wanted to just give myself more recovery. Probably did too much anyway.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic