Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How to tell when a trainer sucks.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
The article leaves out my biggest pet peeve. You can NOT start someone on a diet or a training program without knowing what they are doing now and what they have done in the past. That's called cookie cutting and it doesn't work. You need to listen and learn about your client then make the appropriate changes.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I was on the phone with MJR the other day talking about shit like this. He was squatting and his program calls for a certain weight with certain reps. As he is done with his last rep a trainer there is yelling something like "you got two more in you."

That shit is annoying. We don't all train to failure on every set. Certainly not with like 600 something pounds on us.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I was on the phone with MJR the other day talking about shit like this. He was squatting and his program calls for a certain weight with certain reps. As he is done with his last rep a trainer there is yelling something like "you got two more in you."

That shit is annoying. We don't all train to failure on every set. Certainly not with like 600 something pounds on us.

That drives me absolutely nuts!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Some jackass trainer screaming.... you have 2 more in you. lol That ****er has probably never had even 405 on his back.

There's a bunch of jackass trainers at my gym but luckily none of them have even remotely tried to suggest something to me.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I think the distinction should be made between a "trainer" and a "coach." A trainer is someone who is generally looking to get people back into shape or take their body to the next level of fitness. A coach is someone who is more in tune with people who have goals that are more oriented toward strength and lifting. I have a buddy who is a coach and takes BBers all the way up to competition and another buddy who is a powerlifter himself and also a coach. You will never hear stupid shit come out of their mouths because they are very specific to the outlined plan or routine.

Personally, one of my best friends who works out with me is a "trainer" who mostly works with fat ****s and housewives looking to get or stay in shape. But, when we work out together he helps me follow the routine we set out to accomplish to a T. So, some of these guys can be 2 different people depending on the situation, and the good ones know their place in those situations

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Great article! Yea: the "you got two more in you" thing is a huge piss off for us who train balls to the walls. On a squat I like to sink into the pins....if there's decent pins there. And certainly not all the time. But some ding dongs say that shit when you got iron on your back and you know safely handling it is imperative. When there no decent pins I'm not going to risk losing control and getting mangled for some year long rehab ****up. I need form vigilance. Im fine on busting my own ass and taking it to the max for growth. If they dont know form and proper execution of lifts....there out!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Some jackass trainer screaming.... you have 2 more in you. lol That ****er has probably never had even 405 on his back.

There's a bunch of jackass trainers at my gym but luckily none of them have even remotely tried to suggest something to me.

BI, not sure if you still do OL or if that's in your past, but . . . . .

most of the trainers in my former gym might (might) know how to jerk it, but they wouldn't know a good snatch if they saw one.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I think the distinction should be made between a "trainer" and a "coach." A trainer is someone who is generally looking to get people back into shape or take their body to the next level of fitness. A coach is someone who is more in tune with people who have goals that are more oriented toward strength and lifting. I have a buddy who is a coach and takes BBers all the way up to competition and another buddy who is a powerlifter himself and also a coach. You will never hear stupid shit come out of their mouths because they are very specific to the outlined plan or routine.

Personally, one of my best friends who works out with me is a "trainer" who mostly works with fat ****s and housewives looking to get or stay in shape. But, when we work out together he helps me follow the routine we set out to accomplish to a T. So, some of these guys can be 2 different people depending on the situation, and the good ones know their place in those situations

I agree with your points and there are some of the exceptions out there....those are the few and far between and hold the most value. However for the average "trainer", the money is in the camps and the one on one sessions to get the Moms and the pleasantly plumpers off the couch and their head out of the ben n jerry's section.

THe commerical gym "trainers" are a fukking joke and for the few that know me personally, they know that I'll say anything to anyone and I've had words with more than one when I saw them trying to teach a deadlift or squat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stepping on toes but I offer sound advice and "suggest" an alternative initially.....except this one snotnose little 160lb'er no more than 5'5....was cocky/arrogant and a clear example of the article I posted. Just an absolute embarassment to himself and I made it known.

...and got my membership revoked as a result.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
The article leaves out my biggest pet peeve. You can NOT start someone on a diet or a training program without knowing what they are doing now and what they have done in the past. That's called cookie cutting and it doesn't work. You need to listen and learn about your client then make the appropriate changes.

This isn't just with trainers either. The endo sent my wife to a dietician that wanted to restructure her entire diet and loaded up the carbs and the calories. This is a licensed required position too. Based on what my wife eats on a regular basis, she asked me what I thought and I said "your insulin needs will skyrocket and you will gain 20lbs or more. Both of whic will have a large, negative impact on your health". It was ironic that he dietician was over weight too

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Lol. Overweight dietitian. Bet it's a thyroid issue.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

Nahh, I think he was just trying to be supportive. I've had people tell me that. I just rack the weight and explain my goals. "I'm following this program, and it only allows for a number of reps".

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic