Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How Much Ya Bench?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Another thing that will help alleviate knee pain is oly shoes. You want a non-compressable sole so it doesn't cause sheering forces on the knee in crazy angles from the soles compressing non evenly.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Wear some single ply sleeves when you squat and than once you get to 85% wrap your knees. That'll help create a stable environment for your knees.

Solid advice right there and pretty much what I do as well. Never had major knee issues, but recently some nagging pain here and there. Got some knee sleeves and it's pretty much a non-issue these days.

And I'll wrap for the super heavy stuff.

Another thing that will help alleviate knee pain is oly shoes. You want a non-compressable sole so it doesn't cause sheering forces on the knee in crazy angles from the soles compressing non evenly.

Thanks for the advice dudes. Gonna look at some knee sleeves and wraps.

What sleeves do you guys recommend?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012

I have the Inzer XT sleeves and I love them.

First and only pair I've ever tried so I can't comment as to how they compare against other brands/types.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Some big numbers on here. Set a new PB of 420 in a comp about a month ago. (raw) I think I had 425-430 in me, but I went for the meet win and failed at 440. 5'9 206lbs.

Funny thing, I never considered myself a good bencher. Both shoulder are screwed, and a broken collar bone at 18 left one way out of alignment. I never pushed myself on flat bench because of this, even in my 20's. I would say lifetime, I have only 1rm on bench 10-15 times (srs) Not sure I am going to continue pushing that hard. My shoulders are just now feeling better 4 weeks post comp. (in my early 40's)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I like EliteFTS Single Ply knee wraps. They are long so they don't roll when you train with them on. They give a little support but not really any help with the lift.

As for wraps, that's very individualistic. Personally, my favorite knee wrap is Titan's THP. You'll need someone to wrap you to be able to use it to it's fullest potential. You can wrap yourself for a loose wrap.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm not the "maxing'' type, but here are my current sets on Flat and Incline Bench

Flat Bench
135x15
225x15
315x12
405x8-10
315x10
225xburnout (25-30)

Incline
135x10
225x10
315x10
315x10
365x6-8
Drop set from 315 to 135

Holy shit....

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Some big numbers on here. Set a new PB of 420 in a comp about a month ago. (raw) I think I had 425-430 in me, but I went for the meet win and failed at 440. 5'9 206lbs.

Funny thing, I never considered myself a good bencher. Both shoulder are screwed, and a broken collar bone at 18 left one way out of alignment. I never pushed myself on flat bench because of this, even in my 20's. I would say lifetime, I have only 1rm on bench 10-15 times (srs) Not sure I am going to continue pushing that hard. My shoulders are just now feeling better 4 weeks post comp. (in my early 40's)

I thought you were in your late 20s to early 30s. Don't look 40 at all. Not that 40 is old or anything. Just stating.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
About 8 months ago I sprained my left elbow and had been using sleeves for my heavy sets. I am happy to say, that this week I incline benched 235x 8 completely pain free and with no equipment this week. I hope to see 265x5 soon, now that I don't have an injury holding me back (save for a shoulder that makes me go light some weeks)

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
About 8 months ago I sprained my left elbow and had been using sleeves for my heavy sets. I am happy to say, that this week I incline benched 235x 8 completely pain free and with no equipment this week. I hope to see 265x5 soon, now that I don't have an injury holding me back (save for a shoulder that makes me go light some weeks)

Glad to hear you are pain free.

Let me know when you get 265 on incline. My incline bench is terrible. Haha.

I was thinking about getting those sleeves you mentioned for bench to use for overload training. If I remember correctly, you said you could get 30 pounds if you snugged them up real tight ?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic