Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Do you use Straps?

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Im not strong enough yet to consider them, after reading some training journals i have along way to go. but thats ok i love what i do

Keep at it, tbrowne! Everyone has to start somewhere.

elizabethwhite

elizabethwhite

TID Lady Member
Dec 18, 2011
Absolutely have to use deadlifting!!! Keep grip.Not needed on any other exercise.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Used too for awhile, my strength needed to be more "functional" for me, so I wanted my grip to be as strong as possible, ditched the straps years ago now.

kingkrazy1012

kingkrazy1012

Dec 1, 2011
I use then on the lifts that I need to. Deads and shrugs mostly.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
If I can't lift it unassisted I don't lift it. No straps, belts, bench shirts, squat suits. I would not feel accomplished if anyone or anything had a part in a PR that wasn't my body.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I don't but I can see the benefits. I am old school and figure if I cannot hang onto it, I got no business messing with it. I have never had an issue with my legs or back. It's always been my grip, so I figure I need to stay away from them. That being said, I am also beginning to use the hook grip. Don't see a lot of need to use straps then. Now, I have a buddy who is friends with an incredible 181 Canadian lifter, Willie Albert. He has a 600+ pull and using straps all the time in training...so I guess to each his own. LOL.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
If I can't lift it unassisted I don't lift it. No straps, belts, bench shirts, squat suits. I would not feel accomplished if anyone or anything had a part in a PR that wasn't my body.

This exactly! If you can't lift it without all the extra gear, you can't lift it. I'm far more impressed with someone who can bench 405 with no shirt than someone who does over 500 with one. Same goes for deads or squats.

I understand to some people its not about how strong they are. They just want "the look". And thats fine if thats your goal I guess. But that being said , you don't need to be going around bragging about how much you can lift either.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
This exactly! If you can't lift it without all the extra gear, you can't lift it. I'm far more impressed with someone who can bench 405 with no shirt than someone who does over 500 with one. Same goes for deads or squats.

I understand to some people its not about how strong they are. They just want "the look". And thats fine if thats your goal I guess. But that being said , you don't need to be going around bragging about how much you can lift either.
If we didn't use straps in competition, and the gym allowed chalk, I would never use them, lol. I agree with your take on people who just want 'the look.' No one thinks another person is strong just because they accessorize well.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
i never in my life wore straps...chalk is good enough for me for grip power....And i allways train raw style.The most i wear is a belt.This morrning when i trained i only wore underwear a belt and my tennis shoes...That as raw as u can get...dw

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I hope this applies to AAS as well since you don't want anything to "help" you with your lifts. If you don't think that AAS will help you lift more than you're just fooling yourself. Androgens do cause quite an increase in strength like running Tren, Deca, etc. So, I'd assume you steer clear of AAS as well b/c than isn't you really lifting the weights either.

The equipment you speak so ill towards like belts, sleeves, etc help the lifter pursue his goals of lifting heavier weights while keeping the risk of injury down. You can remain truly raw by wearing nothing but that will only lead to greater risk of injury (if you are actually training for strength and the numbers that get put up on the screen at a meet). This sport is a marathon and not a sprint. I want to be still working towards bigger numbers 10 years from now and not be in so much pain I'm shooting nubain b/c I had to stay "hardcore" by being completely raw.

Last edited:
69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
That's a noble thing to say but when the weights get really heavy, you'll be putting yourself at greater risk of injury. Equipment was and is still for some used to keep the risk of injury down and not increase your totals but really large amounts. If you're training for strength injuries are inevitable, it's just a fact a of life, but you want to reduce them as much as possible.

I'm not for the multi ply suits but I am for wraps, sleeves, belts, etc. This is a marathon and not a sprint and if you want to last a long time in strength training (I'm NOT speaking of BBing) you need to take the necessary precautions.
I'm sure my work will break down my body far before my lifting does. I use my strength on the job. I'm no bodybuilder. I just like lifting heavy shit.

Maybe as I get older I will incorperate a belt. Doubt I will ever use straps tho. My grip has yet to be tested. Hell half the time I lift with a no thumb grip.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
BrotherIron said:
I hope this applies to AAS as well since you don't want anything to "help" you with your lifts. If you don't think that AAS will help you lift more than you're just fooling yourself. Androgens do cause quite an increase in strength like running Tren, Deca, etc. So, I'd assume you steer clear of AAS as well b/c than isn't you really lifting the weights either.

Using a mechanical device to help you lift more weight and using a chemical to make your body use food better and heal faster are two very different things. If you can't see this I'm not sure what to tell you. Lets use a UFC fighter analogy shall we. There is a difference in two fighters going at it, one taking steroids and the other not, and the same two fighters going at it and one pulling a shot gun. See the difference now? No matter how many drugs I take I'll never dead lift 800 pounds, but using your own logic I could always hook enough pulleys and cables to the weight and move any amount. Your argument to defend straps does not work.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic