Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Do you use Straps?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I think we've had this discussion before lol................ use them if your reason for using them is more important to you than the reason for not using them.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I prefer chalk, but sometimes you just need them.

Especially in winter after that asshole with hand cream on just lifted!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I use them for back day and dead lifts. I feel I can isolate more
But don't the judges at your bodybuilding comps take off points for having less grip strength???

j/k

Nice avi bro.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I read an interview of Arnold once. He stats how he is not for straps while lifting. He states that him and his training partner at the time Franco Columbo do not use straps. Just good old fashion chalk and hold on tight. I do not use straps, I feel that my forearm development is much further along. I also do not have to really incorporate forearm work into my routine that often, just once in a while. Just wondering what you guys personally feel about straps? Do you think they have their place? Or do you like getting down and dirty with a tight grip and clenched teeth?

at first i was anti-strap, but as i progressed i found straps a useful tool, however, i recently realized i am counting on them too much, so i am backing off, staggered grip on deads 2 days ago with chalk, there is a place for straps, but i believe you must build up your grip power first. i believe i will use straps only on say shrugs and pulldowns, when your grip may become an issue for the bodypart you are trying to concentrate on and not drop the weight because your grip gave out.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
for sure! I train low volume, weights most often in the 6-8 rep range. They have the biggest impact when doing bent over supinated rows.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I use Olympic straps which are VERY different from BBing/Pling straps. They only give a lil help (they're very short) to the lifter and if your hand begins to open the bar falls. I only break these out for my conventional pulls (heaviest sets of 5 or more reps) b/c hooking gripping anything over a triple is extremely painful.

I never use straps for RDL's, Bent Over Rows, or any other pulling movement. I just used a hook grip and pull.

Last edited:
Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
BrotherIron I had to look up Oly Straps .I had never even heard of them.

(Excerpt taken from Pride Performance web page)

Olympic Weightlifting Straps - I'm not a strong advocate of using lifting straps on a regular basis for the sake of hindering grip strength and forearm development. However, straps come in handy for those of us who do Olympic lifts from the hang position often. Olympic weightlifting straps differ from conventional straps in structure and functionality. Conventional straps work like a choke chain around the wrist and can cause rope burn or chafing. They also lock you into a specific hand position on the bar, leaving you no way to adjust without completely unwrapping the straps. Olympic straps give the lifter more freedom to adjust positioning, all while remaining fully locked in and strapped to the bar comfortably

2ur6ywp.gif

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That's it RR. If you notice, they are very short. You get one wrap around the bar and that's it so you still have to have a tight grip on the bar. I like that if you begin to open your hand, the bar will fall. It's not like some of those other ones were you take your hands off and you're still locked in place.

Personally, I think Oly straps are great and everyone should use them b/c it's like the best of both worlds. You still work your grip but you also get a lil help.

Last edited:
MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
That's it RR. If you notice, they are very short. You get one wrap around the bar and that's it so you still have to have a tight grip on the bar. I like that if you begin to open your hand, the bar will fall. It's not like some of those other ones were you take your hands off and you're still locked in place.

Personally, I think Oly straps are great and everyone should use them b/c it's like the best of both worlds. You still work your grip but you also get a lil help.

I'd like to get a pair of oly straps until I join another gym. No chalk rule.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd like to get a pair of oly straps until I join another gym. No chalk rule.

I use them even being allowed to chalk up. They just give ya that lil extra "umph" that you might need exp if you're training with high volume or with very heavy weights. And they last forever. I've had mine for 4 years and they're showing no signs of giving out on me at all.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
I use them even being allowed to chalk up. They just give ya that lil extra "umph" that you might need exp if you're training with high volume or with very heavy weights. And they last forever. I've had mine for 4 years and they're showing no signs of giving out on me at all.

Cool. I will put them on my shopping list.

tbrowne

tbrowne

Dec 29, 2011
Im not strong enough yet to consider them, after reading some training journals i have along way to go. but thats ok i love what i do

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic