Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Do you use Straps?

F

forrest

Sep 15, 2010
I read an interview of Arnold once. He stats how he is not for straps while lifting. He states that him and his training partner at the time Franco Columbo do not use straps. Just good old fashion chalk and hold on tight. I do not use straps, I feel that my forearm development is much further along. I also do not have to really incorporate forearm work into my routine that often, just once in a while. Just wondering what you guys personally feel about straps? Do you think they have their place? Or do you like getting down and dirty with a tight grip and clenched teeth?

MrJJ

MrJJ

Jan 15, 2012
I'm the latter dude. Used to use straps but found my grip suffered as a result ever since then I rely on grip my forearms are pretty big for someone my size 14.5" or so with chunky wrists I put this down to using my grip rather than straps, I'd rather do my shrugs in two goes without straps than one go with.

JJ

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
It depends!
If your hands are prone to cramping/aching then they have a place.
I use them once in a while when I do have cramping (broken hand ,fingers from past)

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Straps are a tool that one can use to lift more than what their grip will allow. They have their place in a training program depending on what one wants to achieve.

That being said I use straps for every lift because my hands are arthritic and it hurts them to grip the bar. The way I look at it us that by using straps I can keep my hands for surgery and the things that I need them for for my career.

Halo

Halo

MuscleHead
Jul 5, 2011
I use them when my grip gets exhausted and or the weights go over 500 most times for dead lifts. I do it because I'd rather still be able to hit my back which is still capable of work, I can't imagine there are a ton of folks around who's grip will outlast their back.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
I am all for the use of straps, it's just best to take breaks from them or use them as little as possible. Just dont use them as a crutch.

I often get very bad forearm pumps, to the point where I can't hold the bar anymore. I don't want to short change my back exercises because I am two worried about improving my grip.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Yes. We use them in strongman comps, so I use them in training. I don't use them all the time.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I am with Halo on this. I go asa long as I can without them and when My grip starts to fail I have to pull them out. Otherwise I leave them in the bag

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
No straps for me just all my own grip, just don't believe in using them.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
I'm not anti straps. I use them on rack pulls. If I'm lifting something off the floor I don't typically use them. Pulling off the rack I can pull way more weight than my grip will allow. Pulling off the floor by the time I get up to where I really need straps my form isn't very good so I'm risking a back injury by going past what I can hold on to.

I always use them when stretching my lats. I put a dip belt on and hang on for one minute with straps. My grip could probably hold out for that but I don't have the willpower to do that stretch and hold on that tight.

T

trainer516

Jan 21, 2012
I use straps for deadlifts and when I'm holding heavy DBs for high rep leg exercises. My hands will cramp sometimes and I also get a major pump in my forearms that I can't hold the weight anymore. I do try to do as much as I can before using the straps, though.

Chiaapet

Chiaapet

Nov 9, 2011
I use them for back day and dead lifts. I feel I can isolate more

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic