Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Baking soda = more reps

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I was actually giving oxygen some thought but not like using a bottle while I work out but bringing my cage home and working out outside... The co2 inside a commercial gym is prolly up around 1000ppm...<br>i have a nice ph meter I'm going to monitor my levels for the first time and see if I can get it where it should be with diet and maybe play around with the baking soda some more and see how that effects it...&nbsp;<br>I been having to much time on my hands obviously lol.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
=====================
Damn good point seriously! My error for not explaining thing more clearly.
Metabolic disturbance literally mean an abnormality of metabolism in this instance DIRECTLY related to the use of Sodium Bicarbonate = "baking soda"

Some well documented abnormalities include;

Changes in electrolytes (Na, K, Ca, CL, HCO3 etc)
High BP
EDEMA (swelling)
Heart Failure

Rebound ------ the body eventually compensates by decreasing the elimination of "acids" limiting the use of ANY drug as a buffering agent (one that changes Ph) . This rebound has been known to cause a worsening ACIDOSIS especially on days when a "buffering agent" has not been used.

IF you want a much safer "buffer" use Calcium Bicarbonate (baking powder) AKA TUMS or basically any other antacid.

(The difference lies with how fast they "break up" into Sodium and Bicarbonate or Calcium and Bicarbonate), while the effects of NaHCO-3 may last A FEW MINUTES, CaHCO-3 lasts a couple HOURS!)

A simple change like this can drastically reduce the complications I've listed.

Finally if you REALLY want to improve exercise tolerance use supplemental oxygen! There is no DOUBT it is effective especially for "aerobic exercise".

Hey GST thanks for showing me how to better assist TID mates, after all that's why I'm here.

Regs
Jim

How much would it take to bring about those effects?

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
How much would it take to bring about those effects?

=======================================================================================

Good question PB and the answer is A ALOT! Well shit then doc that doesn't apply to us here BB n lifters because we are using a "touch". Why of course, but that'a why this form of therapy WILL NOT BE EFFECTIVE!

Ya see if the intent of using a buffering agent is to alter (raise) Ph than a SIGNIFICANT amount of buffer such; as baking powder or soda, must be used.

What does all that mean? You can't have one without the other guys. Thus if such therapy does effect Ph (for more than a few minutes) complications WILL OCCUR, it's guaranteed.

That's because human 'buffering capacity" is quite large and the amount of acid or base needed to change the Ph is also significant, to a point, yet once that point is reached PRECIPITIOUS INCREASES or DECREASES in Ph occur, and that leads to the complications (many of them for sure) I've mentioned.

Take a look at this graph. Note how little the Ph changes for a proportional change of HCO-3, UNTIL a PH of roughly 7 is reached. What this means is the human body so is adept at buffering acidic Ph ranges that a daily teaspoon or two of Hco-3 will simply not have any lasting effect on PH, UNLESS non-physiologic PHs are achieved and when that happens your IN TROUBLE from a metabolic perspective!

Titration.jpg

Regs
jim

Last edited:
dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
One COULD also achieve the same "benefit" by "hyperventilating" during a workout or immediately before a lift and MANY LIFTERS have learned exactly that. More importantly doing so would also increase your oxygen level, NO BS!

Regs
jim

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
The Gatorade + Creatine + Baking Soda = that pricey effervescent creatine that was in nutrition shops in the early 2000's.

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
Good read. Also thanks for the extra info jim.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
It's long been a favourite of track cyclists and this research suggests you can serial load to avoid gastrointestinal side effects .

http://suppversity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-latest-on-sodium-bicarbonate-serial.html

About the same "benefit" interval as hyperventilation 5-7 min. Now how many BB or lifters would benefit from a therapy that lasts 5-7 min? Close to none!

This study and there are several others that show the effects of "HCO-3 loading" are limited, only lasting a few minutes otherwise repeat dosing is required and side effects WILL OCCUR!

(I find it telling the authors decided to investigate the least common and important of side effects GI. And they did so by "questionnaire", now why is that? To prove GI sides don't occur?

That's not anything new because HCO3 is rapidly absorbed and exerts a minimal osmotic effect. (An osmotic agent or drug stays in the GI tract and PULLS water along with it causing diarrhea and/or a bloating sensation)

Because this study adds nothing useful to existing literature, excluding of course why some blogster believes chronic NaHCO-3 therapy may be more useful in athletes and apparently void of side effects, NOT!
Regs
Jim

Last edited:
Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
So you think it's mostly a urban legend with a placebo effect?
Seems there's some believers out there from serious athletes..

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
So you think it's mostly a urban legend with a placebo effect?
Seems there's some believers out there from serious athletes..

If that's what you believe read my post AND the study just cited. The "benefit" lasts a few minutes ONLY, so if that's what you think will most aid your 1-2 hour WO go for it.

Jim

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
If that's what you believe read my post AND the study just cited. The "benefit" lasts a few minutes ONLY, so if that's what you think will most aid your 1-2 hour WO go for it.

Jim

I did some brief calculations on the study cited and a couple others. Since the suggested dose was 0.3 GRAMS/KG the "average" 70kg male would require 4-5 TABLESPOONS of NaHCO-3 ! Good luck getting that down, for at best a 5% "increase in performance" over a "several minute interval".

Do that every day and you will understand the complications I mentioned previously are REAL!

Consequently unless one is involved in a competitive sport at that moment, (where a 5% improvement in performance could make a difference) it's best to save the baking soda for cakes. cookies and confections, IMO.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I did some brief calculations on the study cited and a couple others. Since the suggested dose was 0.3 GRAMS/KG the "average" 70kg male would require 4-5 TABLESPOONS of NaHCO-3 ! Good luck getting that down, for at best a 5% "increase in performance" over a "several minute interval".

Do that every day and you will understand the complications I mentioned previously are REAL!

Consequently unless one is involved in a competitive sport at that moment, (where a 5% improvement in performance could make a difference) it's best to save the baking soda for cakes. cookies and confections, IMO.

This study might be gospel to you and you believe it, but those who have tried it know its effectiveness and that it is helpful. 4-5 tablespoons is way off and so is 5% and i quote that by experience, not some googled stat.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic