Latest Member
Imsprod1
What's New?

Baking soda = more reps

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Been doing some research on upping the volume of squats and I found a article that claims baking soda has been proven to lower the ph in blood allowing more reps specifically in squats and bench press... Thought hmmm so I started googling around and it seems it's already been known to folks that train for endurance .. I've never heard about this before so I put se in my Gatorade this morning before I trained and call it a placebo effect or whatever but seems I had some extra fuel..below is just one of several articles I have read...

http://store.jackedpack.com/blogs/news/6557501-how-to-use-arm-hammer-to-turn-your-arm-into-a-hammer

HOW TO USE ARM & HAMMER TO TURN YOUR ARM INTO A HAMMER
TUESDAY, 14 AUGUST, 2012
By now we are all aware that protein, creatine, BCAAs, beta alanine, and arginine are proven ingredients to help you in your never ending quest for HUGEness. We know these ingredients are the diesels of the supplement world and help you crank out ridiculous workouts. The only problem is that these badboys can often be expensive and there’s an endless assortment of products each promising to be better than the next. It can be as confusing to choose a product as figuring out how Kate Upton’s boobs defy gravity so magnificently. Turns out there is a simple and super cheap household item that can help boost your endurance and power significantly. It’s baking soda. No, that’s not a typo, I’m serious. That baking soda sitting in your fridge to make it smell less rank also doubles as a legit, safe, and effective performance enhancer.

IT’S SCIENCE

Your missing key to HUGEness?

You are probably thinking I’ve chugged too many pre-workouts and lost my mind at this point, but that’s only partially true. So forget my nonsense and listen to the science that backs me up. The wicked smat folks at Functional Performance Systems put together an awesome compilation of studies showing baking soda’s effectiveness across a number of sports: lifting – YEAH BUDDY!, swimming – whatup Phelps, track – Bolt’s veins course with Baking Soda, and cycling – this German cyclist must crush Baking Soda like normal Germans crush beers). If you don’t feel like getting too scientific lemme break it down for you: lifters, swimmers, cyclists, and runners who took baking soda or baking soda + creatine prior to exercise all improved performance and the creatine + baking soda group showed the best results.

Scientists don’t know the exact mechanism through which this stuff works, but most think it has something to do with increasing your buffering capacity (helps prevent pH levels from dropping too low and therefore delays muscle fatigue). Bottom line, baking soda (or sodium bicarbonate to be a nerd) improves performance when ingested prior to exercise and it works even better when stacked with creatine. Which leads me to my next point…

HOW TO USE BAKING SODA TO GET HUGE!
Studies suggest taking 300 mg of baking soda per kg of bodyweight + 5-10 grams of creatine monohydrate up to 2 ½ hours before exercise is the most effective way to boost power and endurance. So for a roughly 200 lb. (90 kg) diesel that means taking down 27 grams (or approximately 2 tablespoons) of this stuff. I live for getting HUGE as much as any other meathead and I’ve taken down some seriously nasty stuff in my quest to be a diesel, but there’s almost no way you can put down that amount of baking soda without wanting to puke. It’s literally like drinking saltwater. Instead I’d suggest stirring (NOT shaking – it’ll explode like your quads after a 20 rep set of squats) 1 tablespoon of baking soda + 5 grams of creatine monohydrate mixed with something sweet like OJ 30-45 minutes prior to exercise. OJ is a great mixer not only because it cuts the horrible taste, but also because the sugar in it will help create a small insulin spike to help drive the creatine into the muscle cells (where it belongs!). If 1 Tbsp. is no problem, slowly build up to 2 Tbsps.

Note that studies found no additional performance benefits above 300mg/kg of bodyweight, so no need to take down tubs of this stuff. Consuming too much baking soda may cause diarrhea or indigestion in certain people and we know you can’t get swole if you are sitting on the toilet all day, so start slow and see how your body reacts to it.

CONCLUSION
Legend has it that Zeus wreaked of manliness from being too diesel and his wife Hera had enough. She gave him some baking soda to fix his stench, but instead of using it to fix his B.O. he dumped it in his pre-workout shake and crushed it in 1 gulp. Thirty minutes later he threw his first lightning bolt at an unfortunate soul he saw curling in the squat rack.

I’m not promising you that downing some baking soda will turn you into the next Ronnie Coleman, but it is definitely worth a shot to help you get HUGE. Give it a try for a few weeks and see if you notice improved performance. It worked for me and many others and I’m hoping it does the same for you!

3 COMMENTS
BRANDON
MONDAY, 28 JANUARY, 2013
Grape juice might be a better idea for a mixer with creatine as I’ve heard broscience say that the acid in OJ can lessen the effectiveness of creatine monohydrate. I’m sure either would taste good!

ME
MONDAY, 03 DECEMBER, 2012
In response to the last comment…this article wasn’t about vitamins (in case you didn’t take the time to actually read it) and science has determined that the body can utilize bolus of protein throughout the day. There isn’t a limit to amount per hour or any of that crap. You would have to be munching Doreen protein every hour on the hour in order to get enough…through the night. The human body wasn’t designed THAT poorly.

KANISHK
SUNDAY, 11 NOVEMBER, 2012
It would not be a good idea, and would not help you as much as you’d think. The majority of the vntmaiis in a tablet are water soluble. When you take in more than you need, the body simply flushes it away. So do you, in the toilet. The fat soluble vntmaiis will build up in the body, and some of those can actually cause you problems, vitamin A is poisonous in high levels. Your body was designed to get vntmaiis and minerals from food, as well, not a tablet. Most vitamin tablets actually make it through the system nearly intact, and not absorbed much at all. That’s one reason for taking one each day- to get a cumulative effect. You would do far better to eat a well balanced diet overall, and stick to a chewable multivitamin/mineral supplement once a day. You don’t even need an adult version, you can get the children’s chewable sold in generic form. Those combined with a decent diet will provide all you need. The same principle applies to your protein shakes as well. The body can only metabolize between 5-9 grams of protein per hour, more than that will also be filtered out by the kidneys. Eliminating excess protein is very hard on the kidneys, and can lead to kidney problems. It also can damage bones, leading to osteoporosis- because the excretion of protein requires a lot of calcium for the process, and if you don’t have enough in the diet it will be leached from your bones. You can get a chewable multivitamin/mineral supplement that will provide you with the iron you may need, as well as calcium. But please keep in mind that your body is designed to obtain nutrients from food, not pills. Most pills do not provide them in a form easily used by your body, which is why so much exits the body. You are paying for a lot your body can’t use. Athletes that train hard really should stick to a good healthy diet, which is a lot safer than some of those supplements. There still is not enough information about the long term effects of some of those, and if you are a growing teen, your body is still developing. If you damage it now, by reducing your calcium levels in the bones, you would not see that evidence until you are in your 30 s. By then it will be very hard to replace what you lost. For now, stick to a decent healthy diet, and simple vntmaiis- one per day, and a chewable, which will be more likely to be absorbed.

LEAVE A COMMENT
Post Comment

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Very interesting, I'm doing a 12 mile fasted bike ride 4x wk in the morning and will be trying this next wk. I'll post my experience

chillz

chillz

Dec 29, 2011
There's many beneficial uses when taking baking soda. When your body's pH is to acidic your more prone to getting sick. Taking a half teaspoon of baking soda in 4oz of water daily can change this. You can purchase saliva pH test strips to monitor the pH. When a cancer patient goes to a hospital they get hooked up to a sodium bicarbonate iv(baking soda).

I ran into a retired Dr about a month ago who started talking to me about this. Since then I've read quite a bit about how beneficial baking soda truly is. Can't believe it's not discussed more in Dr offices, news, etc...

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
That's an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe something new to try.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Yep this is an old trick that was used back in the day..

Don't hear much about it nowadays in training circles..but I've tried it several times in the past, and it can make some positive differences in endurance..

Tastes horrific though :) Guess you could cap it..I never tried.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Heard an old school bodybuilding trick, mix your creatine with baking soda. I did this a few times with grape juice and orange juice. Whatever you do dont shake it in a shaker, and if you do, burp the cup or it will explode on you like it did me...all over the kitchen. I liked it,i just dont care for all the burping that comes after it.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Yep this is an old trick that was used back in the day..

Don't hear much about it nowadays in training circles..but I've tried it several times in the past, and it can make some positive differences in endurance..

Tastes horrific though :) Guess you could cap it..I never tried.

mixed in with some Gatorade it actually tasted good almost soda like....
imagine that :)

And speaking of back in the day I'm taking it back to 1968 with squats and milk so this will be perfect for my current training 20 rep squats..

Last edited:
myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
LOL I give about 1/2 teaspoon to my client when they're about to throw up.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Been doing some research on upping the volume of squats and I found a article that claims baking soda has been proven to lower the ph in blood allowing more reps specifically in squats and bench press... Thought hmmm so I started googling around and it seems it's already been known to folks that train for endurance .. I've never heard about this before so I put se in my Gatorade this morning before I trained and call it a placebo effect or whatever but seems I had some extra fuel..below is just one of several articles I have read...

http://store.jackedpack.com/blogs/news/6557501-how-to-use-arm-hammer-to-turn-your-arm-into-a-hammer

HOW TO USE ARM & HAMMER TO TURN YOUR ARM INTO A HAMMER
TUESDAY, 14 AUGUST, 2012
By now we are all aware that protein, creatine, BCAAs, beta alanine, and arginine are proven ingredients to help you in your never ending quest for HUGEness. We know these ingredients are the diesels of the supplement world and help you crank out ridiculous workouts. The only problem is that these badboys can often be expensive and there’s an endless assortment of products each promising to be better than the next. It can be as confusing to choose a product as figuring out how Kate Upton’s boobs defy gravity so magnificently. Turns out there is a simple and super cheap household item that can help boost your endurance and power significantly. It’s baking soda. No, that’s not a typo, I’m serious. That baking soda sitting in your fridge to make it smell less rank also doubles as a legit, safe, and effective performance enhancer.

IT’S SCIENCE

Your missing key to HUGEness?

You are probably thinking I’ve chugged too many pre-workouts and lost my mind at this point, but that’s only partially true. So forget my nonsense and listen to the science that backs me up. The wicked smat folks at Functional Performance Systems put together an awesome compilation of studies showing baking soda’s effectiveness across a number of sports: lifting – YEAH BUDDY!, swimming – whatup Phelps, track – Bolt’s veins course with Baking Soda, and cycling – this German cyclist must crush Baking Soda like normal Germans crush beers). If you don’t feel like getting too scientific lemme break it down for you: lifters, swimmers, cyclists, and runners who took baking soda or baking soda + creatine prior to exercise all improved performance and the creatine + baking soda group showed the best results.

Scientists don’t know the exact mechanism through which this stuff works, but most think it has something to do with increasing your buffering capacity (helps prevent pH levels from dropping too low and therefore delays muscle fatigue). Bottom line, baking soda (or sodium bicarbonate to be a nerd) improves performance when ingested prior to exercise and it works even better when stacked with creatine. Which leads me to my next point…

HOW TO USE BAKING SODA TO GET HUGE!
Studies suggest taking 300 mg of baking soda per kg of bodyweight + 5-10 grams of creatine monohydrate up to 2 ½ hours before exercise is the most effective way to boost power and endurance. So for a roughly 200 lb. (90 kg) diesel that means taking down 27 grams (or approximately 2 tablespoons) of this stuff. I live for getting HUGE as much as any other meathead and I’ve taken down some seriously nasty stuff in my quest to be a diesel, but there’s almost no way you can put down that amount of baking soda without wanting to puke. It’s literally like drinking saltwater. Instead I’d suggest stirring (NOT shaking – it’ll explode like your quads after a 20 rep set of squats) 1 tablespoon of baking soda + 5 grams of creatine monohydrate mixed with something sweet like OJ 30-45 minutes prior to exercise. OJ is a great mixer not only because it cuts the horrible taste, but also because the sugar in it will help create a small insulin spike to help drive the creatine into the muscle cells (where it belongs!). If 1 Tbsp. is no problem, slowly build up to 2 Tbsps.

Note that studies found no additional performance benefits above 300mg/kg of bodyweight, so no need to take down tubs of this stuff. Consuming too much baking soda may cause diarrhea or indigestion in certain people and we know you can’t get swole if you are sitting on the toilet all day, so start slow and see how your body reacts to it.

CONCLUSION
Legend has it that Zeus wreaked of manliness from being too diesel and his wife Hera had enough. She gave him some baking soda to fix his stench, but instead of using it to fix his B.O. he dumped it in his pre-workout shake and crushed it in 1 gulp. Thirty minutes later he threw his first lightning bolt at an unfortunate soul he saw curling in the squat rack.

I’m not promising you that downing some baking soda will turn you into the next Ronnie Coleman, but it is definitely worth a shot to help you get HUGE. Give it a try for a few weeks and see if you notice improved performance. It worked for me and many others and I’m hoping it does the same for you!

3 COMMENTS
BRANDON
MONDAY, 28 JANUARY, 2013

Grape juice might be a better idea for a mixer with creatine as I’ve heard broscience say that the acid in OJ can lessen the effectiveness of creatine monohydrate. I’m sure either would taste good!

ME
MONDAY, 03 DECEMBER, 2012
In response to the last comment…this article wasn’t about vitamins (in case you didn’t take the time to actually read it) and science has determined that the body can utilize bolus of protein throughout the day. There isn’t a limit to amount per hour or any of that crap. You would have to be munching Doreen protein every hour on the hour in order to get enough…through the night. The human body wasn’t designed THAT poorly.

KANISHK
SUNDAY, 11 NOVEMBER, 2012
It would not be a good idea, and would not help you as much as you’d think. The majority of the vntmaiis in a tablet are water soluble. When you take in more than you need, the body simply flushes it away. So do you, in the toilet. The fat soluble vntmaiis will build up in the body, and some of those can actually cause you problems, vitamin A is poisonous in high levels. Your body was designed to get vntmaiis and minerals from food, as well, not a tablet. Most vitamin tablets actually make it through the system nearly intact, and not absorbed much at all. That’s one reason for taking one each day- to get a cumulative effect. You would do far better to eat a well balanced diet overall, and stick to a chewable multivitamin/mineral supplement once a day. You don’t even need an adult version, you can get the children’s chewable sold in generic form. Those combined with a decent diet will provide all you need. The same principle applies to your protein shakes as well. The body can only metabolize between 5-9 grams of protein per hour, more than that will also be filtered out by the kidneys. Eliminating excess protein is very hard on the kidneys, and can lead to kidney problems. It also can damage bones, leading to osteoporosis- because the excretion of protein requires a lot of calcium for the process, and if you don’t have enough in the diet it will be leached from your bones. You can get a chewable multivitamin/mineral supplement that will provide you with the iron you may need, as well as calcium. But please keep in mind that your body is designed to obtain nutrients from food, not pills. Most pills do not provide them in a form easily used by your body, which is why so much exits the body. You are paying for a lot your body can’t use. Athletes that train hard really should stick to a good healthy diet, which is a lot safer than some of those supplements. There still is not enough information about the long term effects of some of those, and if you are a growing teen, your body is still developing. If you damage it now, by reducing your calcium levels in the bones, you would not see that evidence until you are in your 30 s. By then it will be very hard to replace what you lost. For now, stick to a decent healthy diet, and simple vntmaiis- one per day, and a chewable, which will be more likely to be absorbed.

LEAVE A COMMENT
Post Comment

Where is the science supporting a therapy which at best is benign but at it's worst may result insignificant metabolic disturbances? FYI BLOG are opinions and not evidence based science.

For those interested in the latter Google "Milk Alkali Syndrome"!

Best
Jim

Last edited:
Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Where is the science supporting a therapy which at best is benign but at it's worst may result insignificant metabolic disturbances? FYI BLOG are opinions and not evidence based science.

For those interested in the latter Google "Milk Alkali Syndrome"!

Best
Jim

whats a metobolic disturbance? Like to much burping or sumtin?

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
So milk raises ph and baking soda lowers it hmmmm
interesting... I'm going to mix a lil creatine with the soda and give that a try..
i think I'll back off the milk a lil also...

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
whats a metobolic disturbance? Like to much burping or sumtin?

=====================
Damn good point seriously! My error for not explaining thing more clearly.
Metabolic disturbance literally mean an abnormality of metabolism in this instance DIRECTLY related to the use of Sodium Bicarbonate = "baking soda"

Some well documented abnormalities include;

Changes in electrolytes (Na, K, Ca, CL, HCO3 etc)
High BP
EDEMA (swelling)
Heart Failure

Rebound ------ the body eventually compensates by decreasing the elimination of "acids" limiting the use of ANY drug as a buffering agent (one that changes Ph) . This rebound has been known to cause a worsening ACIDOSIS especially on days when a "buffering agent" has not been used.

IF you want a much safer "buffer" use Calcium Bicarbonate (baking powder) AKA TUMS or basically any other antacid.

(The difference lies with how fast they "break up" into Sodium and Bicarbonate or Calcium and Bicarbonate), while the effects of NaHCO-3 may last A FEW MINUTES, CaHCO-3 lasts a couple HOURS!)

A simple change like this can drastically reduce the complications I've listed.

Finally if you REALLY want to improve exercise tolerance use supplemental oxygen! There is no DOUBT it is effective especially for "aerobic exercise".

Hey GST thanks for showing me how to better assist TID mates, after all that's why I'm here.

Regs
Jim

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic