Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Baking soda = more reps

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
This study might be gospel to you and you believe it, but those who have tried it know its effectiveness and that it is helpful. 4-5 tablespoons is way off and so is 5% and i quote that by experience, not some googled stat.

A "Googled stat" it was not! Those calculations used the numbers cited on the study posted on THIS THREAD (which I didn't even cite) as is the "performance improvement" I quoted. If you are aware of evidence (exclusive of anecdotes) which contradicts my comments post it so we may all review it.

JIM

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I tried it out this mornin and I just culdnt get it down. I had it mixed it in oj

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I did some brief calculations on the study cited and a couple others. Since the suggested dose was 0.3 GRAMS/KG the "average" 70kg male would require 4-5 TABLESPOONS of NaHCO-3 ! Good luck getting that down, for at best a 5% "increase in performance" over a "several minute interval".

Do that every day and you will understand the complications I mentioned previously are REAL!

Consequently unless one is involved in a competitive sport at that moment, (where a 5% improvement in performance could make a difference) it's best to save the baking soda for cakes. cookies and confections, IMO.

Ok well say you reserved this for just your squat day. In Gstacker's case he is shooting for a 405 squat for 20 reps. So on his PR attempt days he does it then. Maybe once per week. Surely that would not be often enough for any kind of metabolic damage. Or is it more acute?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Let's just clear one thing up..... a 5% increase in performance is HUGE.

I'll wait and see what others say but I'd definitely try it for that 5%.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Let's just clear one thing up..... a 5% increase in performance is HUGE.

I'll wait and see what others say but I'd definitely try it for that 5%.

Yep. That 5% is someones new PR.

Thats exactly what Dr. Jim said...that if you're competing it maybe worthwhile otherwise leave it for cookinglol

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
5%..... I'd take it!!

I definitely wanna give it a try. I weight about 270 so I thought id start light and just do a tbsp, and increase if I'm able to.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Thats exactly what Dr. Jim said...that if you're competing it maybe worthwhile otherwise leave it for cookinglol

Hmmmm in not competing so I better leave the baking soda alone and just stick to me stare oids eh....

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Hmmmm in not competing so I better leave the baking soda alone and just stick to me stare oids eh....

Well you could give up the STeROnZ as well but something tells me it's easier to pin some gear than it is to take in that much baking soda ;). Plus we can all agree AAS will give you more than a 5% benefit to performance....

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Using protein powder can give you a edge also but since staronz are better no protein either?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Using protein powder can give you a edge also but since staronz are better no protein either?

Just so I have this correct, you're trying to equate protein powder and baking soda with steroids???

protein powder only gives you an edge if you're deficient in protein from normal dietary sources...are you deficient in baking soda?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic