Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Baking soda = more reps

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011

I read it, thanks for sharing... And the 27grams which is about 2 table spoons is the amounts I have seen in another article...
Just to be clear also I'm not hook line and sinker convinced on the baking soda idea it was just a find I thought was interesting and willing to give it a try...

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I went all in on Baking Soda many years ago. (This was an Old School trick.) And when I mean all in, I mean all in. Grams of it at a time and throughout the day.

Where did I end up? Sitting on this cold plastic chair with a gown that did not fit right and my arse exposed.

But the worse part, outside of being dehydrated, was having the tech put a tube up my arse and fill me up with this milky liquid so they could x-ray my stomach.

The Doc then asked me, "What have you been up to?"

THE BAKING SODA BURNED MY STOMACH LINING!!!

It took me a while to get my stomach right, but to this day I can only take non-acidic Vita C. (And forget habaneros and spicy spices.)

So if you all don't want to listen to Dr. Jim, then I say go ahead. Burn your stomach lining like I did.

My cousins dad's roommate went all out on protein shakes in his quest for hugeness and had a similar experience..
was all constipated and had to get a emina lol...

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
My fat ass is that way with brownies. I can eat those all day if it weren't for the heartburn.

Man, you just can't be a nice homemade, or.bakery made brownie.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Man, you just can't be a nice homemade, or.bakery made brownie.

I've been known to lower my morals for brownies lol. Used to have this recipe for the best brownies I've ever tasted that came from someone's blog but cannot find it anymore :(

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I read it, thanks for sharing... And the 27grams which is about 2 table spoons is the amounts I have seen in another article...
Just to be clear also I'm not hook line and sinker convinced on the baking soda idea it was just a find I thought was interesting and willing to give it a try...

-#€>£¥•%|{*¥••=>>€+=%>-__~~,,,_\?>€€<£¥<|<£€|\\

Yep that sounds about right, depending upon the CONCENTRATION.
(0.3mg/kg)(70kg) = TWENTY ONE GRAMS of SODIUM and BICARBONATE !!!!!

Did you know that is TEN times the daily recommended dose of SODIUM?
What do you think ingesting all that SODIUM will do once absorbed?
Suck the crap out of your intra-cellular fluid is what, and make you feel dry as a bone! (Ask P )

Ever heard folk say never drink "salt water"? Well if that dose of NaHCO-3 is mixed in 250 ml of solution, as is often suggested, the percent concentration of SODIUM approximates an 8-9% solution and "salt water" ranges from 3-4%!

Should you elect to give a try please let us know how it goes. Seriously!

However of you really want to experiment, with "your body", try ingesting TWENTY ONE grams of sodium EVERY DAY for a WEEK!
I'll bet you Vegas you won't finish that protocol.

One last thing I realize a 5% improvement in performance CAN BE SIGNIFICANT, but if you don't make the competition because your sicker than a dog, what's the point?

So IMO it's best to give this a try on an "off day" if so desired.

Regs
Jim

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Jim, look using the daily recommended dose means diddly squat... What's the rda of vit c? Or how about protein?
and all that "sodium" is not going to get absorbed... I might not be able to explain how a nutron is split into atoms creating a contraction on the eccentric nervous system but I have some common sense...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Jim, look using the daily recommended dose means diddly squat... What's the rda of vit c? Or how about protein?
and all that "sodium" is not going to get absorbed... I might not be able to explain how a nutron is split into atoms creating a contraction on the eccentric nervous system but I have some common sense...

I don't know man I think he has posted enough info to make it pretty clear that this is a stupid idea.

If you really could get 5% out of this and it wouldn't harm you it would be in every dietary supplement out there.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014

Well if you KNEW the physiology behind the GI absorption of electrolytes, sodium in particular, you would also know and understand what I've said is accurate and not some lame Blogism. Sodium is absorbed by THREE mechanism 1) Active transport 2) CoTransport 3) Osmotic gradient.

The reason Na absorption is so efficient is related to it's fundamental role as an extracellular ion. Which means it's presence within the extra-cellular space ( AKA total blood volume or about 5-7 liters) maintains BLOOD FLOW to all organs.

So 100% resorption perhaps not, but it's close absent some GI disorder.

Finally even though the RDSs are guidelines which are NOT etched in stone, if you believe you can consume TEN TIMES the RDA of darn near anything (including protein currently set at 0.8 GMs/ KG /day) on a regular basis without consequence, "it's your body".

Good luck
Jim

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
You are comparing endurance athletes to the average Americans and assuming that there needs are the same... An endurance athlete will consume way more water and flush out minerals such as sodium so the RDA is pretty much useless in this case... I'll admit I'm lost with all those big words you got me there..

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Also Jim you use examples of folks using way more than 2 tablespoons pre work out and point out the negative effects and then you suggest I experiment with dosages way higher and give it a go and report back... Even these study's say that subjects using more than aprox 2 tablespoons for a 200lb athlete experience I'll effects so I really don't have any questions about that and not interested in taking that challenge... If you have any other study's that show little gains or negative effects using a more reasonable dose please point me in that direction I'd like to read it and come to my own conclusion..

J

jack3d14

May 3, 2016
tried this once years ago, tasted horrible lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic