Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How do you measure "intensity"?

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
Have your girlfriend rate your fucking. Was it good, great, how was the intensity?

That's a horrible analogy. Not comparable to the gym where weights are labeled and you can know what you are lifting. Also, clocks and stopwatches are widely available. Nothing like that with fucking unless you're talking about how long the fucking lasts, which can be kind of a big deal for a lot of people.

Interesting conversation here brother, but I say get your happy ass under the weight, blast some HATEBREED and after your warm up sets go for a personal best without a spotter. Do or die. There is intensity!

You do realize that "personal best" means lifting a heavier weight which is something we can know and measure, right? You're making my point here when you say that lifting a personal best is intensity. More weight lifted in one rep equals a higher rate of work within the time it takes to do that one rep.

Some life experiences you can rate and quantify to a degree. But fuck, over intellectualizing and taking the beauty out of performing at your peak, out of giving it your all... Why would you want to do that?

What makes you think that recording the sets, reps and weights used and the time it takes to do that work is "over-intellectualizing"? Have you read some of the discussion in this forum? Lots of details and theory going on here.

And how do you know that you are "performing at your peak" or really "giving it your all" if you don't measure your intensity in the gym? That's the point of measuring it. Being able to know if you're doing better than ever before or if your intensity level is below your best.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Correct. My intensity in the gym is so high that it takes me at least 5 days to fully recover before I can even think of getting back into the gym to give an effort that results in making progress based upon the actual work done and the time it takes to do the work.

With this statement alone, you have ZERO credibility. You are simply a TROLL that I shouldn't feed but I can't resist. Since you are a stated natty there is no reason for you to not post a picture of yourself so that we can see how your once-a-week intensity is producing a massive physique. You keep ignoring my posts and I wonder why.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
With this statement alone, you have ZERO credibility. You are simply a TROLL that I shouldn't feed but I can't resist. Since you are a stated natty there is no reason for you to not post a picture of yourself so that we can see how your once-a-week intensity is producing a massive physique. You keep ignoring my posts and I wonder why.

This thread could have been great but it's stupid instead!

As much as I try I'll never be about to put my head through a steal wall and trying to get through this dude is the same.

He don't know SQUAT about intensity.

Join a credible Powerlifting team and you'll learn intensity on day 1.

Lol 1 day a week, try 4 brutal days a week and then you'll learn what a deload is and why it's needed.

WTF can you do 1 day a week and achieve anything on the weight pile?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I feel like this thread needs some of Deadweight's wisdom...

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I would love to see these workouts that are so intense it takes you five days to recover. Competitions dont even take that long to recover from and i am pretty sure we are all going at 120% on competition day.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Is that 5 days in between each bodypart? Or in the gym 1 day out of 5 total. I could not build if it's the latter.

YAMAHA147

YAMAHA147

MuscleHead
Feb 23, 2012
This is a joke! One of the most moronic responses i've seen from 1 person in awhile..Thanks for the laughs J_J

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Wow, just wow. There have been some great responses in this thread, and you, J_J, have discounted most of them by playing semantics. There is nothing I can say about the original subject that hasn't already been said. My best guess is you are a weak, little boy, and you thought you were going to jump on this forum and flex your mental "muscles", but you failed. Didn't realize how many intelligent monsters there are out there, did you boy? My best advice for you is to learn from those that have more experience, are bigger, stronger, and better built that you. You won't do that by arguing with everything said. Trust me.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
18708389.jpg

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
He don't know SQUAT about intensity.

Join a credible Powerlifting team and you'll learn intensity on day 1.

I trained with Nick Winters here in town for a number of years and taught him about power and how to increase his bench using heavy partials and lockouts along with the importance of rest and recovery. He was going for the raw bench record and I was scheduled to visit him at his gym in LaPorte, IN on my way up to Chicago, but he died in his sleep the previous night. That was a really bad day for me and those who knew him.

I am very well acquainted with powerlifting and powerlifting techniques and strategy. I have as much if not more credibility than any of you when it comes to powerlifting and training for power.

Lol 1 day a week, try 4 brutal days a week and then you'll learn what a deload is and why it's needed.

Why would I go to the gym 4 days a week when I can go 1 day a week? 2 or 3 days isn't enough time for me to recover. I am not injecting drugs that aid in recovery or muscle retention.

WTF can you do 1 day a week and achieve anything on the weight pile?

Well SFGiants, that's a fantastic question! And that is something that you can find out for yourself over the coming years from RECORDING THE WORK THAT YOU DO AND THE TIME IT TAKES YOU TO DO THAT WORK. Which is something that would apparently harm your soul to do that, since you call that "ridiculous" and by association have called Dorian Yates ridiculous for keeping a training log to see how his progress is going over time. I don't get the impression that you are better than Dorian Yates. Maybe you should start measuring your intensity in the gym by writing down the work you do and the time it takes so you can see if you made progress compared to the last time?

When you have a concrete method to measure your intensity in the gym then you can know whether you did better or worse from one workout to the next whether those workouts are spaced out 4 days, 5 days, 7 days or 10 days. Or even 20 days. I've come back from @ 3 weeks off and put up improved numbers.

And let's keep in mind how often someone does their 1 rep max in powerlifting. Its usually no more often than once every 2 weeks and some space their max lifts out to closer to once every 3 weeks.

I have a life outside of the gym, so working super hard in the gym once a week is great for me and the other 6 days walking on the treadmill or a brisk walk around town is perfect for staying active and burning a decent amount of calories to keep my body fat lower.

Oh yeah, "deloading" is just a term that means going to the gym to engage in a level of intensity that is mediocre. Better off just spending 30 minutes on the treadmill.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 6 members watching this topic

, , , , ,