Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

How do you measure "intensity"?

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
I've seen a lot of guys throw around the words "intense" and "intensity" in different threads on here.

I wanna know straight from you guys your thoughts on measuring intensity.

HOW DO YOU MEASURE INTENSITY FROM ONE WORKOUT TO THE NEXT?

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
Giving it everything you got on all working set until your fried.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Intensity in the true definition of the word, related to lifting weights, is the percentage of your one rep max. This is one component I use when evaluating my progress from week to week.

A

afton

Sep 19, 2011
For me its striving to get at least one more rep, or more weight, on every working set than I did last time I trained that body part.

Reactions: J_J
J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
Intensity in the true definition of the word, related to lifting weights, is the percentage of your one rep max. This is one component I use when evaluating my progress from week to week.

Yeah, that's one way someone can measure their intensity using percentages of their 1 rep max. For one set of work doing very little total work in the gym usually. If you benched 400 pounds last time for 1 rep and this time benched 405 pounds once that is an increase in your intensity - you just did more work in that one rep than the last time pressing 5 pounds more than before.

Hey, by "king of wakanda" are you saying you live in Wauconda, IL? I know people that live there and in the area.

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
For me its striving to get at least one more rep, or more weight, on every working set than I did last time I trained that body part.

That's a pretty good way to account for an increase in intensity compared to the last time - doing more total work than before by just increasing the weight a little or doing another rep.

The other part of that is doing the same work in less time than before. Do you also keep track of the time it takes you to do that work afton or do you not really pay attention to the time between sets?

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
What does "until your fried" mean? How do you measure the depth of your friedness from one workout to the next?

Are you serious with this post? :confused:

If I have to spell it out for you, complete failure.

A

afton

Sep 19, 2011
That's a pretty good way to account for an increase in intensity compared to the last time - doing more total work than before by just increasing the weight a little or doing another rep.

The other part of that is doing the same work in less time than before. Do you also keep track of the time it takes you to do that work afton or do you not really pay attention to the time between sets?

I keep a log of every set and every rep so I know exactly how much I did each workout, that way I can make sure I strive for and achieve that bit more each time. As for time, I don't track and record time between sets. Im anal about logging everything but not that anal ;) I do keep track of when I start my first main set on my first exercise and and when I finish my last main set on my last exercise so I can tell if my workouts are getting longer, shorter or staying the same. That way I can be pretty sure my intensity is not decreasing.

Reactions: J_J
S

Sammy555

Feb 22, 2012
Can't really measure but you know. If you wonder could i have done one more, then intensity wasn't 100%.

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
Are you serious with this post? :confused:

If I have to spell it out for you, complete failure.

YES, I am very serious.

People can always do more if they rest long enough to get another rep out. With how much weight can they do one more?

Say I leg press 1,000 pounds 100 times in 2 minutes. I'm really tired from that and breathing hard and need water. Can I do one more rep? Sure, just give me 5 minutes and I'll be ready to do one more rep. Should I do that though after that first effort?

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011

This is it correct here.

Am I at 105% today ( this is realistic it's called a PR personal record)

Am I at 80% and so on

Just because it's based on a 1 rep max don't mean it is not used in other rep schemes

So if my best lift on the deadlift is 600 1 rep that is 100% anything above is above 100% but don't expect much over I am usually at 103% unless I am competing and that can be up to 110%

Now on that same lift but I an doing a 5x5 the you gauge of you best set of 5 and so on with other rep schemes.

Max effort isn't just 1 rep

Being a Powerlifter I know these things well and well enough to no my ranges

Now on the other had if I am doing singles and at 5 reps this is well below 100%

Intensity is also not just the weight but you as a person and how you attack the weight and to learn this watch Powerlifting videos and you'll the difference in intensity of a gym rat and a competitive Powerlifter.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic