Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How do you measure "intensity"?

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
I keep a log of every set and every rep so I know exactly how much I did each workout, that way I can make sure I strive for and achieve that bit more each time. As for time, I don't track and record time between sets. Im anal about logging everything but not that anal ;) I do keep track of when I start my first main set on my first exercise and and when I finish my last main set on my last exercise so I can tell if my workouts are getting longer, shorter or staying the same. That way I can be pretty sure my intensity is not decreasing.

That's great at least that you track the time element of your work to that extent from the first set to the last set. To be able to get your rate of work or the intensity of an entire workout is useful. If you did 4 exercises and the total time it took you to get through those individual exercises didn't hardly change and you did the same exact weights and reps, but your time between exercises was less and you cut the total time from 50 minutes down to 45 minutes then that would be an increase in your rate of work of @ 11%.

Example: 50,000 lbs total work in 50 minutes = 1,000 lbs/min
50,000 lbs total work in 45 minutes = 1,111 lbs/min

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
Can't really measure but you know. If you wonder could i have done one more, then intensity wasn't 100%.

Actually Sammy, we can measure intensity. If we couldn't then we would just be throwing around a meaningless word.

At what point in the workout does "could have done one more" still apply? 5 minutes after you feel like you're spent? 10 minutes after? 30 minutes? I could do one more of just about anything after @ 30 minutes rest. But should I?

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
Intensity is also not just the weight but you as a person and how you attack the weight and to learn this watch Powerlifting videos and you'll the difference in intensity of a gym rat and a competitive Powerlifter.

Yeah, but I am talking about measuring intensity in the gym. In a meaningful way where you can look at what you just did and based on concrete facts say "I achieved a greater intensity than the last time" or "my intensity was less compared to the last time in the gym".

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
JJ your reading way too much into this bro.

You can't always base intensity on total work load or a log number each workout. Hell I could just be having a freaking good day were I'm strong as shit and beat pr's let and right, doesn't mean the workout was intense. Also i could eat like shit on the weekend come back 5-10 pounds heavier (extra leverage) and again come back toss weight around like it was a rage doll. Numbers aren't always a good measure of intensity. When your physically spent, the muscle you worked that day feel like a piece of rubber and practically numb (imo) is a great sign that you brought your A-game and you went balls to the wall.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Yeah, but I am talking about measuring intensity in the gym. In a meaningful way where you can look at what you just did and based on concrete facts say "I achieved a greater intensity than the last time" or "my intensity was less compared to the last time in the gym".

Then you need to quote the 1st part of what I wrote and re read it because it's written in black and white right there bro!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Always nice to have a pedantic ass onboard.

If your intense you know it. I do run a program during the week but events are not based off of a program. When I am ready to hurl or gasping for breath I know it was an "intense" event .
When you have been doing this for awhile you know your body well enough to know wether or not it has been pushed.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
JJ your reading way too much into this bro.

You can't always base intensity on total work load or a log number each workout. Hell I could just be having a freaking good day were I'm strong as shit and beat pr's let and right, doesn't mean the workout was intense. Also i could eat like shit on the weekend come back 5-10 pounds heavier (extra leverage) and again come back toss weight around like it was a rage doll. Numbers aren't always a good measure of intensity. When your physically spent, the muscle you worked that day feel like a piece of rubber and practically numb (imo) is a great sign that you brought your A-game and you went balls to the wall.

This is true as in the meaning intensity as a person as I have given so much and missed lifts and call it a bad day and then smash weight with much less effort and call it a good day.

You could be at the beginning of a cycle that you just rested off or you could be at the tail end of it needed to deload real bad.

Rule of thumb in Powerlifting is get all the hard work done training and be well rested and make the day of the meet easier on you as you have 3 big lifts that you have to do your best at and it's much easier done planed and rested, try and mimic a meet dead smack in the middle of a training cycle and your only going to be able to handle one lift.

Too many people don't know what they are doing and train there asses of up until the day of a meet but a well taught lifter takes a week off of everything and basically does nothing at all no cardio no light lifting nothing and these are the lifter that put up number rather then bomb out 8 out of 10 times.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
SF when you get old you take 10 days to two weeks off .One of the biggest mental issues for me is backing off before a comp.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Always nice to have a pedantic ass onboard.

If your intense you know it. I do run a program during the week but events are not based off of a program. When I am ready to hurl or gasping for breath I know it was an "intense" event .
When you have been doing this for awhile you know your body well enough to know wether or not it has been pushed.

Sorry lol but I felt he dismissed the 1st part of the post then said this is what he is looking for right after reading it and this gets annoying but yeah I'm a dick.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
HAHA I wasnt calling you the pedantic ass.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Sorry lol but I felt he dismissed the 1st part of the post then said this is what he is looking for right after reading it and this gets annoying but yeah I'm a dick.

She meant the OP SFG not you. Pedantic means obsessed with the minute details of something...

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
SF when you get old you take 10 days to two weeks off .One of the biggest mental issues for me is backing off before a comp.

It's mental for all but a must as your body is rested and you come into the meet at your strongest and if not done then your not rested enough to be at your strongest.

Now this is for a full meet lifter a bench only don't need as much rest even a push pull will do fine if deadlifting is stopped 4 weeks out and bench is the only focus til the meet.

We grow and get stronger by food and rest lifting is just the tool to aid in that.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic