Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK

600lb bench club

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A beast with a 370 bench huh.... you have no business commenting on someone handling 600. No matter how they did it. I guaran-damn-tee you that the shirt and boards won't magically add weight to a lift like you think it will. I'll bet the O.P here benches more than 370 raw, but his being proud of a training PR is causing a stink?

Internet warriors who believe that the gear magically adds something need a day in full gear as a come-to-jesus meeting. It's not just you KBD, there's a ton of guys out there who have never even seen someone working gear let alone tried it themselves but have all sorts of opinions about it.

Bench shirts are different for everybody, depending on how you lift and how good you are at fighting the gear....
I lift with a crew that is well known as being good with multi-ply gear. I'm a mid-500 raw bencher pushing mid-700's in competition and 800+ off of a 1-board. The first step was handling 8 to the 3 board, then 2, then 1.... soon to the chest.
There are guys that I train with every week who are 600+ raw benchers only putting up 650-700 in the same shirt.
I have trained with 3 guys benching over 900 fully geared ( as in, full range, in a meet) and all can bench 600+ raw.....

There are 2 points to all of this and neither one is trying to be rude to you... sorry if it came off that way.
1) strong is strong. A lifter in gear doesn't mean that he's weak out of it, handling big numbers in gear means lots of training just to handle the gear let alone the weight still in your hands.
2) People can be happy about a training PR and it doesn't require the explanation of raw vs. geared lifting or anything else.... The first time I took 500 for a ride I took a picture with the weight and emailed it to my mom. Every 100lbs is a huge milestone even is it was actually lifted by a magic shirt with pneumatic rams and secret drugs that do all the work for you.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
Sigh..

Ok so lets break it down to the molecules since this is elementary fucking school.

I wouldnt TRAIN FOR a 600-700lb bench ever in my life, cause for one thats going to cause injury, 2 im gonna have to eat like a fat fuck to get it, and 3 i probably dont possess the genetics to EVEN get that sort of weight.

HOWEVER, I am a bodybuilder and i do believe if your big you should be somewhat strong. A weak jacked bodybuilder is fucking pathetic. You might as well just put implants in you if your just big and not strong. I have 2 natural friends, both pretty big, one of them is a beast with a 370lb bench and competes in bodybuilding. The other one is actually bigger than my friend by about 20lbs and in pretty good shape (hes bulking) and can barely get 225 for 6 on a bench press.

That being said, id rather look like i am brutally strong yet still be strong, but not 600lb bench press strong, rather than be just jacked and struggle with 320lbs...

alright i can see where you are coming from on this one. looked like you were contradicting yourself.

BTW, of those 2 friends you mentioned, is the weaker bencher stronger then the other guy at the other big lifts?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
A beast with a 370 bench huh.... you have no business commenting on someone handling 600. No matter how they did it. I guaran-damn-tee you that the shirt and boards won't magically add weight to a lift like you think it will. I'll bet the O.P here benches more than 370 raw, but his being proud of a training PR is causing a stink?

Internet warriors who believe that the gear magically adds something need a day in full gear as a come-to-jesus meeting. It's not just you KBD, there's a ton of guys out there who have never even seen someone working gear let alone tried it themselves but have all sorts of opinions about it.

Bench shirts are different for everybody, depending on how you lift and how good you are at fighting the gear....
I lift with a crew that is well known as being good with multi-ply gear. I'm a mid-500 raw bencher pushing mid-700's in competition and 800+ off of a 1-board. The first step was handling 8 to the 3 board, then 2, then 1.... soon to the chest.
There are guys that I train with every week who are 600+ raw benchers only putting up 650-700 in the same shirt.
I have trained with 3 guys benching over 900 fully geared ( as in, full range, in a meet) and all can bench 600+ raw.....

There are 2 points to all of this and neither one is trying to be rude to you... sorry if it came off that way.
1) strong is strong. A lifter in gear doesn't mean that he's weak out of it, handling big numbers in gear means lots of training just to handle the gear let alone the weight still in your hands.
2) People can be happy about a training PR and it doesn't require the explanation of raw vs. geared lifting or anything else.... The first time I took 500 for a ride I took a picture with the weight and emailed it to my mom. Every 100lbs is a huge milestone even is it was actually lifted by a magic shirt with pneumatic rams and secret drugs that do all the work for you.

Well said PLK... on all points.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I have been doing static holds with 600+ and it's no joke and heavy as fuck. Gear vs raw it doesn't matter. Even though you lift more you still have to handle the weight. To say you have to eat like a fat fuck is wrong. I know many who have low bf and are power lifters. Look at matt krocowski pure animal.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010

For someone who is NATURAL weighing 200lbs with about 11 %BF yeah that is a beast. Comp style bench press.

Or did you miss that part? The whole point me commenting is, if you bench 600lbs with a 4 board, its not a 600lb bench press. PERIOD. End of discussion. Thats like me saying i can squat 600lbs a quarter inch with a squat suit and knee wraps , i guess i just joined the 600lb squat club right? lol.

I bench 420lbs, NO SHIRT, NO CHALK, NO BOARDs and NO BACK ARCH. Flat back pure power. Thats how i know i legit bench pressed 420lbs.

Everyone is "Thanking" your little post about gear not being a big deal.

YET EVERYONE on this board says the only reason i am the way i am is because of juice lol. Theyre all hypocritical fucks.

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Everyone is "Thanking" your little post about gear not being a big deal.

YET EVERYONE on this board says the only reason i am the way i am is because of juice lol. Theyre all hypocritical fucks.

I was talking about "gear" meaning shirts, suits, wraps. Not steroids. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regardless of what EVERYONE on here is talking about I don't care what you take or what technique you do or do not use when you lift. If you are bodybuilding then just pressing flat probably is better. If you are competing in powerlifting it's a dumb-ass idea because it is robbing your total. But for bodybuilding it's probably better for building pecs.

You are right that a 4-board press is not a bench press.... but... it's a huge 1st step toward taking the weight full range. Same thing with feeling a big squat out with reverse bands or for a partial rep before training up to taking it full range. I thought you trained like a powerlifter, you should know this.

Natural or not, I'm still going with 370 isn't a press that'll give you any clout in the lifting world... Comparing apples to apples, I train with a top AAPF lifter ( as in drug free) at 181 he's gone 850-601-605 in a meet, as in a real meet with real judges, not just gym bros.... he's gone 930-650-630 in the gym in gear.... I've seen him triple 630 RAW in the squat, bench 440 raw, and pull 605 for a triple. Drug free at 181 probably under 10% bodyfat.... and in the powerlifting world nobody knows who he is. Nobody knows who he is because nobody outside of the internet bros cares about gym lifts, gear or technique used etc... and he isn't putting up the numbers of the top 181-ers. He's a great lifter and a good friend, I'm not trying to cut him or your buddy down. Just trying to point out that nobody really cares how a lift was done. It's not something to brag about. Nobody cares who the world champion of " flat footed, flat backed, 190-194#, no chalk, one eye closed, less than 6 hours of sleep" devision bench pressing. If that's what it takes to feel good about yourself, then good for you.... but don't cut people down who work differently than you.
I'm ranked top 10 as a SHW multi-ply lifter this year, most of my team is multi-ply and several are top ten for the year and top 20 all time.... but we train with raw lifters, single-ply guys, bench only guys, strongman, bodybuilders, wrestlers and ball players, women, men, and anyone else who wants to lift.... it's all about moving iron. No need to hate. If you are feeling left out you are welcome to drive up, try out a bench shirt, bench 600 to boards, and I'll come on here and be happy for you too.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I bench 420lbs, NO SHIRT, NO CHALK, NO BOARDs and NO BACK ARCH. Flat back pure power. Thats how i know i legit bench pressed 420lbs.

You didn't pause it though. And you didn't control it at the top after you locked out. You didn't wait for anybody to say press. Etc, etc, etc. Now next you are going to call me out and challenge me to bench 420, at which point I'm going to stop responding again. But somebody needs to tell you that all that bullshit you do on video in your mom's living room don't mean shit. Do it in a competition, then come talk shit about raw vs. geared and you might have a stilt to stand on.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You didn't pause it though. And you didn't control it at the top after you locked out. You didn't wait for anybody to say press. Etc, etc, etc. Now next you are going to call me out and challenge me to bench 420, at which point I'm going to stop responding again. But somebody needs to tell you that all that bullshit you do on video in your mom's living room don't mean shit. Do it in a competition, then come talk shit about raw vs. geared and you might have a stilt to stand on.

A touch and go press isn't even remotely like a comp press. Hell, KBD wouldn't even hit 400lbs in a meet. More like 385lbs if he's lucky. No press command, no rack command, etc.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic