Members
Latest Member
jacobss

600lb bench club

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
does anyone even make a denim shirt any more?

Other than Bill Crawford's guys does anyone use denim still????

I'm not trying to hate. I know that a lot of guys did well in them, I was just amazed to see anyone mention these any more.....

There's a guy in my gym who trains in a denim shirt. Don't know what he's going to wear at the meet but I'd suspect he will since he's training in it.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Doesn't Karin's make a denim shirt still...denim in much more forgiving and your technique doesn't have to be quite as good in them. They seem to be better for the bigger guys, but the carryover obviously is not close to the other multiply...

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I totally forgot about Karin's stuff..... I know that Metal and Inzer stopped..... Frantz still made them up until they burned down last month.

I do miss how comfortable the denim's were, but after putting 100# on my bench just switching to a pretty tame poly by today's standards I knew it was time to learn to like purple arms and tingly fingers....

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I totally forgot about Karin's stuff..... I know that Metal and Inzer stopped..... Frantz still made them up until they burned down last month.

I do miss how comfortable the denim's were, but after putting 100# on my bench just switching to a pretty tame poly by today's standards I knew it was time to learn to like purple arms and tingly fingers....

LOL...yeah I hear you...I have very limited exposure to equipment, but one of my first shirts was a denim. So much more comfortable and easier to deal with. Of course, you never get the pop or the carryover that you do with the polys. But I don't miss the bruising and purple hands. LOL.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
I call bullshit benching 600 @ 190ish pounds.

Wont believe it till i see a weigh in and a touch and go press. Raw.

Your not in ANY "club" Unless you bench the weight all the way down without any board. Touch and go. and 4 board is like 10 inches tall. So its like an eight of a rep. lol.

So your raw true competition bench press raw is probably 400-450.

Last edited:
hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
A few of the guys I train with just had this type of discussion....boardwork has ruined lifting in my opinion. At least raw....see so many guys training with boards raw. Why? With a shirt, sure. Obviously, your shirt should help you at the bottom and then your lockout kicks in. So, working different areas of your press (equipped) makes sense. Raw, I just don't see it. I guess my thoughts is the only equipment you got is your Hanes t-shirt. And you start seeing on a lot of mainstream forums people posting board presses...until board pressing becomes an event, I will always ask why....

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
A few of the guys I train with just had this type of discussion....boardwork has ruined lifting in my opinion. At least raw....see so many guys training with boards raw. Why? With a shirt, sure. Obviously, your shirt should help you at the bottom and then your lockout kicks in. So, working different areas of your press (equipped) makes sense. Raw, I just don't see it. I guess my thoughts is the only equipment you got is your Hanes t-shirt. And you start seeing on a lot of mainstream forums people posting board presses...until board pressing becomes an event, I will always ask why....

It does nothing for you.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It does nothing for you.

I wouldn't say it does nothing for the lifter. It allows them to handle a heavier weight while decreasing their ROM which decreases their risk of injury.

As long as it equates to more on the bar when it's lifted full ROM that's all that matters.

Last edited:
hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I definitely am not trying to piss anyone off...just for me, boards are not useful and they don't do much for me. I would rather mess with chains and bands...but if boards work for you, cool. The complaint I have, is all the bragging about what one did board pressing in their training and then, come meet time, they can't hit anything. That being said, I have trained with several world class benchers that utilize the shit out of boards...so, to each their own.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
I call bullshit benching 600 @ 190ish pounds.

Wont believe it till i see a weigh in and a touch and go press. Raw.

Your not in ANY "club" Unless you bench the weight all the way down without any board. Touch and go. and 4 board is like 10 inches tall. So its like an eight of a rep. lol.

So your raw true competition bench press raw is probably 400-450.

i little more harsh than i woulda put it but how can you be in a club for 600lb benchers when you cant do it unless you have 4 boards on your chest? thats not a qualified meet lift. just cause i can rack pull 800lbs ( i made that # up i dont know what i can) doesnt mean i can dead lift that much. Good effort but imo your not there.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
i little more harsh than i woulda put it but how can you be in a club for 600lb benchers when you cant do it unless you have 4 boards on your chest? thats not a qualified meet lift. just cause i can rack pull 800lbs ( i made that # up i dont know what i can) doesnt mean i can dead lift that much. Good effort but imo your not there.

My thoughts exactly.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic