Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Straps or Not?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
@BrotherIron - I don't...seen a few guys do it though. Did you?

I wouldn't wear them often when snatching but I would wear them when I was snatch pulling and high pulling after snatching. My grip would be shot so I'd break them out. The great thing about them is all you have to do is start to open your hand for the bar to be let go so you don't have to worry about it getting stuck.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I do shrugs on the standing calf raise machine. No grip necessary. :D

Also I can grip 600lbs no problem. Not sure how many times I could shrug that though....

i shrug more than i deadlift. traps are really strong.

i can deadlift something once without straps, but i can't shrug that weight without them. because a 1-rep DL is a 8-rep shrug

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Never use em never needed them, my foforearms and grip is pretty awesome though.....lol
Surprised u use em Wes

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Conservative, heterosexual, white, intelligent male with huge traps and I never shrug or use straps.

Also, our shoulders and elbows are more protected from injury when we have to use muscle to hang something from our arms than when we attach it to our arms with no activation. Macgyver was touching on it and it's 100% fact that there is a feedback loop between how hard your hand must grip and how much defending of joints your cns will do.

Don't have time to get into it more. Google it.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Everyone I know who is 100% anti-straps has tiny ass traps. No human can grip the proper amount of weight to shrug appropriately.

I disagree. Im quite beefy through the traps and dont use straps at all. When i was ypunger i used them for everything. Arounf 28, my bag was stolen and never replaced them. Like brotheriron i use a hook grip also at heavier weights. Ive been hook gripping so long, it really doesnt bother me anymore. As long as youre training, go with what works for you.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
I got my traps doing 45lb plate shrugs. My own variation. Squeeze at top and pause at top also, lower the weight slowly down. Reps of 20. So I do think you can grow a muscle minus straps and minus heavy weight..

However certain muscle groups I do think can benefit from rotating using straps and not using. That was kind of the purpose of discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9vJKA_h7m0

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Best trap builder is tren, no doubt about it, straps or not.

please don't be too hard on Ghb, he is at least posting in an actual lifting thread. No mention of flesh lights, tender buttholes, or anti black sentiment.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I got my traps doing 45lb plate shrugs. My own variation. Squeeze at top and pause at top also, lower the weight slowly down. Reps of 20. So I do think you can grow a muscle minus straps and minus heavy weight..

Yes those Wesley shrugs do work well, traps blow up quick and with only 45lb plates! Post back op this was all I could for traps and it worked fantastic

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic