Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Straps or Not?

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
My thoughts on why Straps "can" be beneficial to your training.

Feel free to debate. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I agree. allows you to focus more on the target muscle rather than grip.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I keep a pair in my gym bag but almost never use them anymore.

Grip strength is typically not an issue for me. Can't recall ever failing on a deadlift PR due to grip strength.

I did use them for barbell shrugs but I haven't done that exercise in years. And once in a blue moon I might use them on the Hammer Strength row machine, just because it has those shitty plastic handles that are hard to grip, but even now I use 6 plates a side and grip is not the issue when I fail.

Pulldowns and cable rows grip is never an issue either.

That said I think they are a tool in your gym bag like anything else, and if it helps you move more weight while still using good form then go for it.

If they just allow you to hang onto a lot of weight that you can't actually row or pull or whatever, then ditch them and get a handle on your form.

U

uncxrt

MuscleHead
Sep 7, 2015
After my deadlift sets, I use straps for everything back related. Doesn't make my grip weak in any way. Not once have I ever dropped a deadlift.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Several things. I use straps the other way. (the strap runs with the thumb). I should say "used to" as now I use versa grips.

Yes I am a big believer in straps and any dead training over 2 reps, I use straps. Several reasons. First and foremost, I like to do most of my deadlifting DOH as it activates both lats equally. It also takes away the risk of bicep rupture on the underhand grip arm. I have a decent deadlift for a smaller guy and never have a problem switching to mixed and pulling when I want to do a "real" deadlift. Not being purely a power lifter though, I dont want miss the benefits of a DOH deadlift in my back fullness.

I also use them (at times) where grip would never be an issue. Eg lat pulldns or pullups when I am really wanting to target the lats. Reason is when you flex you hand to grip, you are inadvertently activating muscles in the forearm and bicep which assist in pulling. With straps, the relaxation of the hand allows one to focus more on pulling with the lats. So those times I am looking to do that, I use straps. I also do them without when I am looking to move max weight for the tension stimulation it gives. All different tools in the shed and for me, straps are a great one.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I used Oly straps (short, thin straps) at times when I'm pulling. I pull using a hook grip and when you perform a ton of reps/sets my thumb gets torn up... tear calluses, etc. So... I'll use them after at times for example, I used them on RDL's after my conventional deads. My thumbs were spent and in a lot of pain so I strapped up. The big difference with Oly straps is that since they're thin and short if you begin to open your hand, the bar will drop so you still work your grip.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
snatch grip deadlifts, bb rows and db rows every time.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I love them! I just got a new pair of nice ones from Santa. I wear them for a lot of movements even if I don't snug them down tight. I've probably got 6 pairs scattered here and there.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
Everyone I know who is 100% anti-straps has tiny ass traps. No human can grip the proper amount of weight to shrug appropriately.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Everyone I know who is 100% anti-straps has tiny ass traps. No human can grip the proper amount of weight to shrug appropriately.

I do shrugs on the standing calf raise machine. No grip necessary. :D

Also I can grip 600lbs no problem. Not sure how many times I could shrug that though....

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
I have used straps only when needed and still have an old pair I got from bb.com in my bag. Chalk is what I now use and lucky my gym doesn't frown on chalk (I clean up the chalk when done)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic