Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Smith machine for pec development ... Your Thoughts ?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
BTN Mil Press and Glute Bridges are about all I do in the Smith. That being said I have freinds with much more pec development than I who swear by Wide Grip Low Incline Smith Bench for best pec builder. I say if you fit the machine comfortably use it.

E

Ed Green

Jun 4, 2013
I usually only use the smith when I'm working around an injury (good for squats when you have an arm in plaster) - if you're training alone its also good for safety, your best bet imho is always to go with free weights for the core of your sessions whenever possible - if you want lots of dynamic work then Kettlebells, heavy clubs and plyo offer alternatives. The smith beats most machines - but it still doesn't develop fully rounded strength because you aren't balancing the weight just pushing it.

the-duke

the-duke

Nov 7, 2012
Depends and your goals as ketsugo said. I personally mix the smith in quiet a bit with my bodybuilding routines as planned out by mountaindog. I think they give you the opportunity to really feel out the muscle you're working rather then heaving weight up.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
I train at home so it is machine pressing mostly for me, my chest grows fairly easy mayb a little weaker on higher chest muscles, but the machine presses seem ok for me i seem to like the fixed path more now.

Also i have just started incline cross overs to see if i can build the higher chest muscles abit more.

Last edited:
Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Best pec developmental I ever got was laying on a decline, reversing my hands (thumbs facing out) and doing declines.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
never ever have i relied on the smith, in my younger days i bought one thinking since i trained alone i could max my bench out, i tried a few heavy sets, and couldn't move my shoulders the next day. Not doms mind you, my shoulders hurt so bad i would never do flat benches on a smith again. I can't stand the fixed plane.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic