Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Smith machine for pec development ... Your Thoughts ?

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Read an article that hypothesized due to the fact that there was 60% less muscle activity on the middle deltoid during a smith bench vs a flat bench it could be used to optimally develop the pectoral muscles. The article went on further to describe that one can lift more on the flat bench due to the more natural path the bar is allowed to follow ... Is there any legitimacy behind this? I almost never use smith but used to when training DC style ... Slight incline smith bench ... Wide grip too

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I know the bar travels in a slight arc when doing flat bench and the smith machine locks you in one direct path. I have only used barbel and dumbel free weights. There is really no substitute IMO. I have from time to time used the smith for low incline work in the past but at the end of the workout. But at the end of the day what ever works for you bro.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Yea that's the point th study was making ... Less deltoid involvement ultimately leading to more pec growth.... It makes sense but it goes against my grain... I guess it probably has a place but certainly not it place of flat, incline or decline bb/db movements and more as a supplemental

Last edited:
big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
Yea that's the point th study wa making ... Less deltoid involvement ultimately leading to more pec growth.... It makes sense but it goes against my grain... I guess it probably has a plac but certainly not it place of flat, incline or decline bb/db movements and more as a supplemental

The smith may work well for you. You could give it a try. I have NEVER used smith for flat but will from time to time on inclines. I would give it a shot. I don't get caught up in scientific numbers on muscle recruitment on lifts.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
I've used it for incline but thats it. I still prefer DB incline over anything

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Can't accept the fixed travel, it's not natural for me. But the only for sure thing is everyones different and if you don't try different methods you may be passing up something that works well for you. I'm more and more of a dumbell guy, so i am told

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Free weights is the way to go.

L

lennoxchi

Nov 20, 2012
I train alone so it's either a smith, db or hammer strength. i use the smith for inclines as i get a great stretch at the bottom, i also use the smith for reverse grip bench presses

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
A long time friend of mine in his late 50's has benched on a smith machine eversince I have known him. Just have to get the set up right for you. I tried it and it wasnt for me. He never had any problems either transitioning to a standard free weight bench for the few local comps he did. He did everything in that damn smith machine, squats, shoulder presses, close grips etc. If he could have figured out a way to curl in the damn thing he would have.

Gloves78

Gloves78

Mar 2, 2013
Smith machine for pec development ... Thoughts ?

They only have a smith machine where I work out (no bench) so I hope your right about being better for your pecs.

Should i do dumbbell presses to work they stabilising muscles? I should really, thinking about it

And yeah that does make sense what your saying

B

Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
A guy at my gym only used smith for his bench presses. I got him to try a normal flat bench and he couldn't come close to his normal weight....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic