Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Smith machine for pec development ... Your Thoughts ?

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Ever seen Markus Ruhl's video? Wide incline smith is what he loves to do.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I just started using smith flat bench because I'm tired of dumb bells and hammer machines. Let me tell you the smith is a great way to get back under a barbell if you have shoulder issues like most older guys. Narrow grip smith flat bench almost takes your delt completely out of the lift.

If you're older / injured shoulder try the smith fellas you will not be disappointed I promise you.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I like to do explosions on the smith where I let go of the bar at the top like I'm throwing the weight. Can't do that on free weights. Otherwise its barbells and dumbells. I find if I try to do flatbench on the smith I'm almost always using lower chest like a decline.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I like to do explosions on the smith where I let go of the bar at the top like I'm throwing the weight. Can't do that on free weights. Otherwise its barbells and dumbells. I find if I try to do flatbench on the smith I'm almost always using lower chest like a decline.
What are the benefits to doing this? I'd imagine there's plenty of room for injury doing it like that.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
smith is cool if u dont have a spotter.If u got a spotter free bar all day

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013

I guess I'd argue you aren't using enough weight if you throwing the bar up and out of your hands

Hero Swole

Hero Swole

Apr 18, 2013
Smith is good for incline every once in a while. But imo barbell should be your foundation. Unless youve had injuries in the past and your an old man.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I guess I'd argue you aren't using enough weight if you throwing the bar up and out of your hands

I have actually seen a kid doing this with very little weight at my gym. I thought they were just tards screwing around. I have never seen this before or heard of it being done by experienced lifters. Pretty damn dangerous if you asked me.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
LOL. It's not about the weight with explosions. It's about contracting as hard and as fast as you can. Its not dangerous. Use about 95 lbs. There is more than one way to create force. And don't assume I never go heavy. This was an example of what I use a smith for.

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
The 'explosions' are for power development. The speed that you can move the bar becomes more important than the weight. It can be a useful exercise for those involved in power sports where horizontal pressing is a primary movement. Depending on various factors I might use it for an athlete such as a boxer.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I used to think that using a smith was horrible and stupid. I used to think that using any machine would put me at a great disadvantage. After sustaining some injuries over the years that have forced me in to doing some things that I wouldn't have done before, I have come to a conclusion; the biggest difference in using a machine vs free weights, is the effort you put in to it. THere are times that I think I might have an advantage if I could do a BB flat bench, but, based on my gains in size, I don't feel that it has effected me as much as I thought it would.

If something hurts, don't do it. If something feels good, do it. Experiment with everything and form your own conclusion. Besides, I still see lots of pros using machines from time to time too. Not all the time, but they have their place, IMO

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
LOL. It's not about the weight with explosions. It's about contracting as hard and as fast as you can. Its not dangerous. Use about 95 lbs. There is more than one way to create force. And don't assume I never go heavy. This was an example of what I use a smith for.

I wasn't saying it's dangerous.... I think I'll stick to bands and chains to work on explosiveness, lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic