Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Side delt lateral raises

A

Augerdog

Mar 12, 2014
I've set an incline bench at 30-45 degrees and sit sideways one arm holding bench and other arm doing side laterals

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I will suggest focusing on the negative. Alot of people and myself in the past, hurry through the movement pulling up and out while letting the weight fall on the negative not controlling it. In the upward postive part of movement, bicep can take over more than you want because of the pulling movement as bicep engages when you pull, therefore taking contraction and tension off the delt somewhat. This easily happens when the weight is too heavy. Since the negative part is essentially the weakest part of excersize, you will want to focus on the weak part, not strongest part. I had to drop from 40lb dumbells all the way to 20s and when i did, i focused on letting the weight down slower, allow for more time under tension. My delts also responded and developed better when i made the adjustment. Hope this helps.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Larry was my first trainer and his knowledge is worth its weight in gold! RIP my friend...
try the lateral raise his way, make sure you can see your rear delt flex in front of mirror.

Yeah, Larry definitely earned every ounce of muscle he packed on through persistence and intelligence. His knowledge and work ethic were amazing. He was no overdrugged genetic mutant like a Dillet or Wheeler who grew like weeds from doing next to nothing.

Fanofiron

Fanofiron

May 11, 2014
Larry was my first trainer and his knowledge is worth its weight in gold! RIP my friend...
try the lateral raise his way, make sure you can see your rear delt flex in front of mirror.

Lucky! Larry forgot more then many will ever know. I spoke with him on the phone a few yrs ago about his ring of fire ab circuit. He was a gentlemen and very happy to teach and share!

A legend is gone but never forgotten!

RIP 1st mr O! They better pay him tribute at the Olympia this yr or I will be pissed!

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I'm very trap dominant. I have to hold on to something, like the back of the leg press, and lean side ways. I have to use really light weight - like a 20lb db, pause when my wrist is parallel to my shoulder, and do a really slow negative or my traps take over everything. I can stand up and do bro reps with 40's but it's pointless for what I'm trying to do with side lats.

I've tried every way, bands, L raises, you name it, but this is the only way I can really isolate side delts. I just superset sets of 15 back and forth between each arm until I'm gased.

J

Jacko0510

Jul 12, 2014
Have you tried them while leaning away from a piece of equipment? Hanging on with they other hand? Focus on the peak contraction of the delt. If you are trap dominant, you could pre exhaust the delt.. with presses. I know that's not the answer you wanted lol, but any time I've ever had a muscle overpowering another I have used pre exhaustion for several weeks to bring the weaker muscle up to par.

Yeah I agree. I found hanging from the inside of a machine staring with my arm straight down to resist the temptation to swing the weight isolated the muscle really well. For an extra burn, try hiding the weight at the top

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Great exercise and it's posts like this that make a difference in training !!

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Another reason great exercise is from a position of flexion standpoint - one needs to always his each muscle from 3 angles - medium, stretched, contracted. This is medium to stretch . Some research and many pros have shown that generating of force during the stretch portion of a rep angle not the contracted causes most hyperplasia . However good to use all three. The top of this would be contracts and create occlusion where blood flow initially inhibited by taute contracting that causes major rush of blood file when finished. Variety right down to how each rep is performed creates an envirinment to grow more muscle fibers. People who just do straight full range sets miss out . Full reps as much as can with partials at end around the semi stretched sweet spot . Many pros old and new do this ie tom platz trained thighs this way , Arnold chest , Ronny Coleman back and cutler does every part this way. Website demo xrep dot com check it - past year been training all my clients with this and really crazy less injury more progress

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
Your arms should be nearly but not quite straight, and your thumbs should point forward and slightly down, as though you are pouring a bottle of beer onto the ground. As you raise your arms you should bring them slightly to the front of your body, not perfectly straight to the sides, but just a little in front of your head so your pinkies line up with your ears. Raise the weight and pause briefly at the top. You should be able to do them with 20 to 30 lbs if you have some real training experience, and maybe 10 to 15 lbs if you are not well conditioned. If you do them like this I guarantee you'll feel them in your side delts.

Bump ^^^
I was going to say the same thing !
Another option which I have at my gym , maybe u do as well , a Lateral Raise machine !!!
U can do lateral raises standing up and it basically fixes ur form so u don't have to work quite so hard at it. There's also one where u can sit down and to side lateral raises !!!

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Bump ^^^
I was going to say the same thing !
Another option which I have at my gym , maybe u do as well , a Lateral Raise machine !!!
U can do lateral raises standing up and it basically fixes ur form so u don't have to work quite so hard at it. There's also one where u can sit down and to side lateral raises !!!

Good machine for contractive but horrible fir stretch portion of rep, nullifying effects significantly. God way around is to go heavy partials with dumbells only ten inches so with heavy weight then after 8-10 partials jump on machine . This method is how one increase hyperplasia in delt. All serious about size use partials and staggered hitching and xreps

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Straight sets archaic and why so many fail at reaching potential . Watch freaky pros workout all use partials . People on forums try all these idiotic aas cycle ideas but never try advanced repetition methodology or sets. Try some this type of intensity you will see cut your progress time in half .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic