Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Side delt lateral raises

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Shortz...trust me...I'm not missing out on not doing lateral raises.
I see people doing those movements in the gym and their delts have looked the same
for years. I'll stand there doing overhead presses next to some girl or guy that's
trying to hit their rear delts with a rear db swing movement. They've been doing
this same shit for years and I stand there with striations and veins popping
out of my shoulders while they crouch over and swing this db around with hardly
anything to show for it. Now, I can appreciate hitting those areas with DBs or cables.
I do once a week but it's typically either a warm up exercise or a cool down.
It seems to me the most muscle fiber recruitment exercises are compound movements.

You can't gauge off of someone elses progress unless you are watching their diet and routine. Striatons\cuts veins popping are 70% diet related imo. Sit down and mimic the motion and you can feel the muscle activated.

Samson

Samson

MuscleHead
Dec 8, 2013
I will suggest focusing on the negative. Alot of people and myself in the past, hurry through the movement pulling up and out while letting the weight fall on the negative not controlling it. In the upward postive part of movement, bicep can take over more than you want because of the pulling movement as bicep engages when you pull, therefore taking contraction and tension off the delt somewhat. This easily happens when the weight is too heavy. Since the negative part is essentially the weakest part of excersize, you will want to focus on the weak part, not strongest part. I had to drop from 40lb dumbells all the way to 20s and when i did, i focused on letting the weight down slower, allow for more time under tension. My delts also responded and developed better when i made the adjustment. Hope this helps.

Good point R
i only does these with 20lb weights very low up and very slow down. You try to get 20 of these without any body sway at all and you will feel it for sure.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Shortz...trust me...I'm not missing out on not doing lateral raises.
I see people doing those movements in the gym and their delts have looked the same
for years. I'll stand there doing overhead presses next to some girl or guy that's
trying to hit their rear delts with a rear db swing movement. They've been doing
this same shit for years and I stand there with striations and veins popping
out of my shoulders while they crouch over and swing this db around with hardly
anything to show for it. Now, I can appreciate hitting those areas with DBs or cables.
I do once a week but it's typically either a warm up exercise or a cool down.
It seems to me the most muscle fiber recruitment exercises are compound movements.

Bump totally agree ! Most people don't change . Yes typically compound exercises more fiber recruitment but also the way one performs a set was my point as one can extend the set and make optimal use of doing laterals . Again I totally agree with you presses are mandate for shoulders .

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Another point is once in awhile try shocker where I do heavy partials but then I do what's calked strip set. Like it may do 60-70 pound DB partial only going ten-15 inches away - heavy without rest after I can't move I go 10 pounds lighter and so fourth. Very popular and now proven method to shock muscle . People do same routine day in out. Need to shock it once in awhile . If your delts are stubborn then your routine could be stale .
Also try pre-exhaust where do isolation exercise first (lateral ) to exhaustion then without a seconds of rest set it up to do compound like press . Now your tris are fresh to help further tire your delts. There are endless ways to add intensity to grow size that have nothing to do with heavy weight. Try them research them . Hey anyone really intersted pm me send email I got shit loads of really cutting edge ebooks that will add variety and I'm dying to share with my Bros here

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
As bodybuilders trying to grow or even maintain size - you need both heavy compound which apparently thicken myofibrillAr strands and higher reps and extended sets create tension / occlusion for sarcoplasmic fluid expansion / hyperplasia . Lately more research around bodybuilder methods are confirming many principles that have been used over past decades. To transcend beyond normal you need to do more than just lift heavy straight sets. Especially is you dabble with aas and hgh you want to get your money's worth . However even off cycle one can mAke progress if you take a scientific approach . The info is easily available now too.
Hitting each muscle from different angles is more than just couple of exercises - compound , stretch position and contracted angle . That's why all variation with even so cAlled lateral raise is relevant . The press of some kind will always be the main shoulder builder . Even incline Bench hits frontal total delts, dips etc. depending on our own individual shapes we mAy need variations if lateral raises. Much research is showing potential for stimulating growth can be emphasized during the partially stretched portion of a repetition . Different exercises can emphasize this too. Such as the incline lateral , cable lateral . Most machine or nautilus more contracted position of flexion emphasized but still vital . Pretty much midrange compound exercises like squats or bench press etc can help trigger testosterone release , the stretch exercises helps produce hormones in the muscle and hyperplasia and contracted exercises like machine laterals , leg extend etc- temp block or obstruct blood thereby producing a floods of it after sending nutrients . Variety of stimulus is needed to hire beyond normal . Not just heavy weight. Not just low reps . Longer sets time under tension will actually bring deeper fibers into play than a compound exercise alone . In some cases more practical to employ with isolation exersize as the weight is lighter overall . Strip sets like I referred too going down the dumbell rack I do heavy initially but as I go to lighter dumbells I'm extending my set and time under tension. I've hit the deep fast twitch fibers with heavier weight , but as time expires I'm actually splitting fibers and recruiting more due to time it takes to complete my set while I maintain constant tension .
We can also go to individuals exercise itself - full Reps, then partial pulses . Ever see Ronnie Coleman do shrugs ? He does shit loads of pulses at end to extend his set. After full then only stop before full stretch or contracting . And/ or find sweet spot which scientist have decided that each exercise does have a so called sweet spot that if after you complete a full set don't stop do pulses on the sweet spot with constant tension. One Japanese study found the subjects could increase hyperplasia 8 times faster in a two week period . Just meaning you can really boost gains with these bizarre adjustments to a set. None of it is new either- Arthur jones who invented nautilus had similiar ideas. Larry Scott a BB from the 60s performed his preacher curls like this and it was his forte. Arnold again did stuff like it, not that we all can be pros but they want to be the best of the best and do what works . We too want results - I say try every thing . Staleness and boredom will never help

Last edited:
GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I guess it all depends on your goals but I wouldn't ignore one exercise just because another is more effective. There are a million ways to train every body part and that is the beauty of lifting. For the record, I always do side lats of some variation in every shoulders workout.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Bump totally agree ! Most people don't change . Yes typically compound exercises more fiber recruitment but also the way one performs a set was my point as one can extend the set and make optimal use of doing laterals . Again I totally agree with you presses are mandate for shoulders .

I never once said to skip presses. :)

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I used to do the standard bodybuilding shoulder protocol for years or variations of it.
vary your exercises to hit every angle - start with a press,
maybe hit a machine, then front raises, and finish with some posterior delt action.
3-5 sets each and anywhere from 7-12 reps.

I stopped doing that a while ago and have only done oh press,
behind the neck press and cleans or variations of a clean and
my shoulders look better and are bigger than they've ever been.

But as mentioned, we have different goals and everyone responds
differently to each movement.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Lateral raises is good therapy to enhance healing in the deltoid region, either side, frontal, reward, incline, or decline. Whether cable or BD. It's a natural movement of the body.

Iron Sand

Iron Sand

Apr 18, 2015
I did them for the first time today with the Landmine. Liked that option.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Actually the declines can be a little tricky.

E

Eup

Mar 13, 2015
I think one of the most over looked areas is the rear delt while presses are needed a lot of work on the rear delt gives you a fuller rounder shoulder with not just being big. I think for many bbers we focus on aesthetics and the illusion you are bigger sometimes looks better and that's were rear delts come in, you can focus on them occasionally and you will see a much better look. And to not bust people's balls but throwing around names of pros and how they workout doesn't apply to 99% of us because they have genetics we don't and never will while many of us can get large my stats 225lbs 8-10% bf at 6'1 bigger than average it will be very difficult to have the work ethic, time, drugs and money to look like them so while I do enjoy getting tips from many pros and advice, my favorite being milo Sarcev for his straight no nonsense diet and training it's not practical for many of us normal bodybuilders and enthusiasts to attempt to always mimic them and how they train.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic