Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Side delt lateral raises

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I wouldn't even waste my time with raises. Presses and variations of those presses.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
try the machine for these, it makes you do them properly...tons of people don't do them right using dumbbells :)

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Lay down on your left side on a flat bench and grab your dumbbell on the floor to do the right delt raise. Lay on the right side and do the left. This is how the "delt challenged" do it at westside barbell. I learned it when I visited. I have done them this way ever since.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Use a low cable and cross your body at the bottom. Focus on the bottom of the movement where the trap is less likely to activate.

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Lay down on your left side on a flat bench and grab your dumbbell on the floor to do the right delt raise. Lay on the right side and do the left. This is how the "delt challenged" do it at westside barbell. I learned it when I visited. I have done them this way ever since.

I like this as a variation. Throwing it in next week.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

Looks like he's doing the middle half of an Arnold press at the start there.

I was reading the comments and came across this one

"The guys who moderately big delts with the oversized traps are genetic naturals on roids"

Da fuq das that even mean!?

I have some neck issues. Mostly nerve issues, perhaps a herniation, but regardless, feels like an impinged nerve. If I do mine at moderate intensity, straight up, I feel it through my neck. So, what I usually make sure to do is, do all other shoulder exercises before doing my lateral raises. That means, if I want to do bent lateral raises too, they are always before reg lateral raises. Then I make sure to focus on time under tension, so mostly slower movements than what I do on bent.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Raises for warmup or for a potential burn out at the end of a session.

The real work for shoulder density and size is predominately going to come from a pressing movement.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Raises for warmup or for a potential burn out at the end of a session.

The real work for shoulder density and size is predominately going to come from a pressing movement.

Not necessarily - in fact upright dumbell rows are the best multi joint exercise for side /medial head . MRI studies have shown to be true . More than the exercise it's the way in which a set is performed . You may initially start with good form straight sets but it's when the average Joe quits. To make progress after you exhaust a strict set one can either extend the set with partials or strip sets . That's actually how most serous people / pros train and studies prove that you grow faster and in shorter time if one practices some method if extending sets ie; xreps . Dumbell uprights after 8-10 strict reps one could do partials but note every body part has a like what is called a sweet spot along the arc of motion where you do partial Reps within that node . For medial delts on rows it's like midway to almost above waist about 6-10 inches out from the torso . Almost looks like a cheating lateral raise . You want to isolate the delts only and eliminate most traps by staying in that small area . Journal of physicAl Ed and Japanese have verified this methodology cause more fast twitch fiber recruitment and hyperplasia . So if you are using aas eating well add this type of concept to few exercises and new growth will happen . I've done it seen it and now actual studies are being done .

Press can be extended too to enhance medial and front delt by extending with constant tension by not locking out and stopping short of full stretch for few pulsation reps after full set of exhaustion . People need to look at how the perform the Reps of a given exercise / ironically these methods are old use different names over years- but principle same. Straight sets always just don't cut it.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I wouldn't even waste my time with raises. Presses and variations of those presses.

Then you are losing out . Consider that every major pro does . Yes they have genetics but they have proved that methodology is a factor . MRI studies have proven too.

I don't blame ya for doubting as I've trained long too 30 years. Masters degree and got my cscs but no fitness or conditioning certification really spend a lot of time on pure bodybuildung . Bodybuilders have always for 70 years been ahead if every paradigm shift. Even the pro bb have grown more freaky due to new drugs new methods etc. . Ya can't shun the new just cuz you don't understand. . My recommend is check out xrep dot com or email me I'll share some stuff

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Bodybuilding / building size / growth goes way beyond an exercise and how much weight you lift . If it were that simple more people would be freaky huge . You need to hit each area from variety of angles using varied methods. . It's a science not just brute effort

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I am not going to sit here and say lateral raises guarantee huge delts, but I think they add an important exercise to your regiment. I think you're missing out if you don't have them added at all too. They work the delts and RC in ways that can benefit other lifts. Again, I also don't believe lateral raises should be done heavy. In the 12-15 rep range, IMO, is more optimal over anything under 10

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I am not going to sit here and say lateral raises guarantee huge delts, but I think they add an important exercise to your regiment. I think you're missing out if you don't have them added at all too. They work the delts and RC in ways that can benefit other lifts. Again, I also don't believe lateral raises should be done heavy. In the 12-15 rep range, IMO, is more optimal over anything under 10

Shortz...trust me...I'm not missing out on not doing lateral raises.
I see people doing those movements in the gym and their delts have looked the same
for years. I'll stand there doing overhead presses next to some girl or guy that's
trying to hit their rear delts with a rear db swing movement. They've been doing
this same shit for years and I stand there with striations and veins popping
out of my shoulders while they crouch over and swing this db around with hardly
anything to show for it. Now, I can appreciate hitting those areas with DBs or cables.
I do once a week but it's typically either a warm up exercise or a cool down.
It seems to me the most muscle fiber recruitment exercises are compound movements.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic