Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Reverse grip bench press

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
If I'm not mistaken Anthony Clark was a WR bencher and he used to hit sick numbers from reverse bench. I used to perform them way back but don't remember why I removed them.

Yeah, I remember him doing those WR presses with the reverse grip. He was a great squatter as well.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I used to toss them in occasionally, but haven't done them in a while. I might toss em back in now that Ive read this. Crazy to see what was said about the WR guy tossing up reverse.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
The Barbarian brothers used to favour them along with Anthony Clark of course , I've seen pictures of the Barbarians using 500 lb's and David did 550 lb on a T.V. show .

Personally it's one exercise I prefer on the smith machine as I like to push the bar in a straight line , my best is 405 x 2 .

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Anyone do this? Thoughts?

I started doing this about 6 months ago and fukking love it! Im currently pushing 160lbs for about 15 reps, im very cautious with the weight as I feel my thumb grip needs to improve so I wont be so skeered to eventually up the weight, aiming for 225 eventually. Really love the way it nails my triceps.

To anyone who has never done it, start light weight and keep your thumbs locked around that fukking bar!!
I've done RGs for a couple years now. I like the RGs with dumbbells even better.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I've done RGs for a couple years now. I like the RGs with dumbbells even better.

I've never done them with DB's but that sounds awesome. I feel like I would love the ROM with those. Thanks for sharing II

F

flex22

May 3, 2012
I actually do like this excerise a lot because its one of the chest pressing excerises I feel most in my chest. I have very strong shoulders and triceps so they tend to take over a lot when im benching. So when I read about this and tried it out, it definetly felt odd and took some getting used too. But once4 I got my technique down I was improving on it every week. So now speed up to present day. I just added this excerise back into my routine as one of my chest excerises yesterday. And after just a lift off I got 275lb for 9 reps on my last set. So I impressed myself more than anything because I didn't expect to just get back to using this press and doing that much for that many reps

cotton2012

cotton2012

Oct 8, 2013
I like to throw them in from time to time, I have to go with a really wide grip tho, as my arm just wont twist out very much. I've done reps with 225lb next chance i get I'm gonna try it with dumb bells, never considered that way

Z

zedhed

Oct 4, 2010
I have a "repaired" right shoulder. Cannot do conventional flat bench at all anymore. But for some reason the reverse grip works for me, so thats what I use. I do it with a slight incline.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Well today i hit 225 for 8 reps, no lift off or spot. Felt pretty good. I think i've had 225 in me for awhile, just been skeered to push myself.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I can't even turn my wrist that way. Nice job brotha.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Nice lift. I like the reverse grips a lot. Except I opt for doing them with incline bench.

MuscleAddict83

MuscleAddict83

Jan 16, 2012
Reverse grips are a regular in my chest routine and since they activate 30% more upper pec than regular grip inclines, my upper chest has improved considerably with them. I've gone up to 275x8 with them before and have hit 225x15, but I've never done them with a weight I can hit for less than 8. Since I'm lifting with a hernia now though, I'm keeping the weight lighter and my rest periods below 30s. I actually did 145x5x12 (sets, reps) this morning. An improvement of 10 lbs and one more set over last week. I can really feel the stretch in my upper pecs at the bottom. So, I'm excited to see what the extra volume produces.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic