Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

RAIDENS' 12 week program

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I don't prescribe actual weight to my clients in most cases. Even for squat bench and dead.

Instead I use an Rpe value - rate of perceived exertion.

Scale of 1 to 10. RPE 10 is max effort. Can't possibly do another rep. 9 is one left in the tank. 8 is 2 left in the tank and so on.

PoB summed it up. A lot of variables go in to RPE

Interesting! In contrast, my coach has me working a certain volume of work that is determined by what percentage of 1 rep max the weight we are using for the current workout, is.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Interesting! In contrast, my coach has me working a certain volume of work that is determined by what percentage of 1 rep max the weight we are using for the current workout, is.
I say it all the time - work hard and you will get stronger. I rarely ever criticize another coaches methods and when I do its generally in my own head.

I have written plenty of training plans based on volume calculations as a way to manage fatigue. Hell Sheiko does it like that.

So to compare the two in regards to managing fatigue:

A common issue I would run into with clients was the sudden and immediate need for a deload. It's tough to predict when each individual starts to burn out. At the same time you don't want to go with a deload scheduled at certain intervals because maybe they don't need it and now you lose progress.

With RPE you can still TRACK the volume like you always have, but the deload is almost built in by the auto regulation of fatigue.

Now this isn't to day it is a perfect system. The coach or athlete should still keep a log and patterns may develop.

Say you notice the deadlift in week 1 thru three was always in excess of 600 for triples and sets of 5. Then suddenly you start seeing 500's and chronic complaints from the athlete in the notes about "just didn't have it today." That would mean a deload would be prudent.

In other cases the deload should be stuffed in when transitioning. For example I have _3M_ starting a run up to a November meet. He was making insane progress as you can see in his log. But I just wanted to keep him fresh and healthy.

I guess my point is rather than using volume alone to bring about them gains what if you just kept bringing the athlete shy of the brink and had them ride that out while slowing down when they need to?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I say it all the time - work hard and you will get stronger. I rarely ever criticize another coaches methods and when I do its generally in my own head.

I have written plenty of training plans based on volume calculations as a way to manage fatigue. Hell Sheiko does it like that.

So to compare the two in regards to managing fatigue:

A common issue I would run into with clients was the sudden and immediate need for a deload. It's tough to predict when each individual starts to burn out. At the same time you don't want to go with a deload scheduled at certain intervals because maybe they don't need it and now you lose progress.

With RPE you can still TRACK the volume like you always have, but the deload is almost built in by the auto regulation of fatigue.

Now this isn't to day it is a perfect system. The coach or athlete should still keep a log and patterns may develop.

Say you notice the deadlift in week 1 thru three was always in excess of 600 for triples and sets of 5. Then suddenly you start seeing 500's and chronic complaints from the athlete in the notes about "just didn't have it today." That would mean a deload would be prudent.

In other cases the deload should be stuffed in when transitioning. For example I have @_3M_ starting a run up to a November meet. He was making insane progress as you can see in his log. But I just wanted to keep him fresh and healthy.

I guess my point is rather than using volume alone to bring about them gains what if you just kept bringing the athlete shy of the brink and had them ride that out while slowing down when they need to?

Thanks for explaining Pillar! I love understanding the theories behind how we train. I expect the RPE system can be somewhat subjective, depending on your energy level on a given day. But so long as you are meeting your goals (push hard for a hard day, go easier for a deload day, etc.) I bet it is just as effective as a more objective training syste!

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Well, had to get my ass to the gym and move some shit. Nothing crazy, but worked slow and steady.

BOX SQUATS warm ups 1x10 bar only

135 1x10
185 1x8
225 1x8
275 1x6
315 1x3 1x2 1x2

FRONT SQUATS

135 3x8

LEG EXTENSIONS

75 4x10

HAMMY CURLS

75 4x10

Done.

Felt ok, for the most part. Back started messing with me towards the end, but I managed.

Went back tonight and did cardio.

20 min stair master

10 min treadmill incline at 9

As you can see, nothing to write home about here.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This is something to write home about! It's yours and it's important!

You did well brother!

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Looking good bro. Good to see you feeling better, try to take it easy. I try not to mess around if I ever have any issues with my back just because you never know exactly how serious they can be. Glad you got it checked out though. Progress is looking great regardless.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
How are you feeling brother?

Not too bad Bull. Went to gym today and got some work in. Surprisingly no back flare ups which is a good thing.

BOX SQUATS

bar 1x10
135 1x10
185 1x 8
225 1x8
275 1x6
315 1x3 x5
275 1x4
225 1x6 (explode off the box)

LAT PULL DOWN UNDERHAND

50 1x15
75 1x12
100 1x12
125 1x10
150 3x8

HYPER EXTENSIONS

Body weight 1x12
25lb plate 3x8

All in all it was a good session, no pain anywhere. Hoping I can continue the pain free workouts. Next session is friday, bench day, then Sunday hopefully deadlifts.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Wow!!! Very strong work RAIDEN!!!

Glad things are better!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
It is just as strong. You will see :)

Who is viewing this thread?