Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Proper Squats to prevent injury

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Just did my first few sets (115x15x5) after 5 months off due to back surgery. I know form is critical but what else should I focus on to prevent re-injury? I will be staying very light on the weight. Would it be any less stressful on the back doing front squats versus having the bar behind my neck? Any info much appreciated

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Just did my first few sets (115x15x5) after 5 months off due to back surgery. I know form is critical but what else should I focus on to prevent re-injury? I will be staying very light on the weight. Would it be any less stressful on the back doing front squats versus having the bar behind my neck? Any info much appreciated

I'd still do back squats if possible.... My best suggestion is to pyramid your weight and use control and weight you can handle.

scotchindn

scotchindn

VIP Member
May 10, 2012
Form form form! I agree with pyramiding. Ain't no room for ego coming back from a bad back, stay light and focus on form.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Very light good mornings. Start with just the bar and a lot of reps. Build up muscle and strength in the back to prevent injury!

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I would mix in back and front squats and like POB said some very light good mornings (super light). I would also do some ball pass abs and some work on the GHR if you can, prior to your squat and deadlifts just to get things warmed up.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And don't forget reverse hyperextensions...

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Good mornings are planned for the near future. I'm a lil scared of dead lifting again as my form was never that great. I think I would def need some coaching to attempt those again without risk of injury. I've been doin seated rotational ab work, I never truly realized what a important role a strong core plays in all aspects of lifting. I sure know now. Thanks for the input guys!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Maybe it's time for you to switch to sumo pulls or at least semi sumo pulls. Less back and more legs.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Front squats again today...
Bar x 15
95x15
115x15
135x10x3
115x10
95x10
Not impressive numbers but Im working on healing still. Reps felt great, solid form and past parallel every time. Used a semi-sumo stance and felt very comfortable and solid thru full range of motion. Really focused on some of the points from another squating thread from last wk and it helped much. 135x20x5 for calf raises also. Thanks for the knowledge and support!

Good mornings and dl's last wk.
Bar x 10 x 4 for each

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Abs abs and more abs.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Make SURE each time you squat your tighten your abdominals!

Take in some air before you unrack the squat bar, and before you descend.

And wear a belt.

Tighten your abs right before you unrack the squat bar and keep them tightened throughout the whole squat. Don't loosen them until the bar is back on the rack.

Wearing a belt and tightening your abs will support your whole low back and everything and help to keep direct pressure off the back.

Do a bunch of lower back and ab work, nothing heavy, real light, high repetitions.

Use the same breathing air in and tightening the abs for dead lifts and any compound lift you do.

If you don't mind me asking, did you go home the same day as your surgery?

How much pain were you in post op?

What were your limitations ?

Are you pain free now?

I'm about to head in for the same surgery. :(

Last edited:

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I was in hospital 3 days post op. pain after surgery nothing compared to before surgery, it was still pretty intense thou. I'd say a month before I could do anything more than just get around the house. Still have a little stiffness/soreness but nothin I'm going to complain about. I can def tell a day or two before its going to rain now! As far as the abs I constantly am keeping them tight. Walking, sitting, standing, opening doors, anything! I said it before, I never truly realized what a important role having a strong core plays in every aspect of day to day life. Good luck with surgery brotha and keep me posted on how your doing.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic