What's New?

Proper Squats to prevent injury

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the information.

For sure will keep updates.

I didn't understand until last year how important tightening the abs are before performing a lift.

3 days post op, did you get a fusion? Or just a microdiscectomy?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I had a fusion. As far as the belt goes I don't wear one, I've got a molded brace I wear they made for me. I had to wear it for 4 months post op except when I slept and I wear it every time I lift now. Hope you have a good recovery

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
There are some pretty good suggestions here. One thing that helped me out besides things already mentioned were front squats on the smith machine. They helped me build some strength and confidence back without worry of losing form.

I never really cared for back squats on the smith. I prefer to do them in a max rack to help with form as well.

I have problems with my back too and use the shit out of that at my gym. Here's what it is (and no, I'm not a salesman)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djgpiByeKKQ

HDH

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I have to agree with HDH... there are several good suggestions here... but for what you are going through Front Squats on the smith will be what you want.

I have never had any surgery on my back... but my lower back has it moments... i try to rep it out myself... and while I go much heavier than 135... i say that is pushing the limits of what i would do in your situation...

I know pride stings you every set when you see the weight... but remind yourself how bad you hurt when your back was funked up...

Do be foolish and rush this... give yourself time to heal properly.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
^^^What IC said, I've had back (compressed\bulging discs), shoulder injuries and after many re-injuries I have finally come around to the fact you have to re-hab. Go light til you're healed up and add when you're healed. Go light and don't get mental on the weight, it ain't worth it. Just think about what you just went thru. I finally got past the wienie weight syndrome and it's worth it, I'm healing and getting stronger. Pride is a sumbitch, injuries are usually from it

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I have actually turned the front smith squats into jump squats. If you want some attention at the gym without going heavy, ass to heals and explode up. No stopping, straight up to straight down.

Its a part of my routine now. I go light and pyramid up and end with a drop set. All I can do when I'm finished is hit the floor, pull my hat over my face and wait till I can move. LOL

Its the only way I'm satisfied :)

Of course get used to the front squats first ;)

HDH

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I have actually turned the front smith squats into jump squats. If you want some attention at the gym without going heavy, ass to heals and explode up. No stopping, straight up to straight down.

Its a part of my routine now. I go light and pyramid up and end with a drop set. All I can do when I'm finished is hit the floor, pull my hat over my face and wait till I can move. LOL

Its the only way I'm satisfied :)

Of course get used to the front squats first ;)

HDH

Lol HDH, I don't think jump squats are a good way to come off a back surgery, this poor guy will be back on the operatin table

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I agree, that's why my last sentence says "Of course get used to the front squats first ;)".

So we agree to agree :)

That's what the front squats evolved to for me because of back issues. First I had to build strength and confidence :dbells:

HDH

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Yea, jump squats will never happen. My surgeon told me to never even run/jog again. It's too high impact. Especially when I can bike or swim instead. Love my bike, getn 60+ miles a wk in on it. I ride to work In the mornins (12miles) and occasionally home too. I'm stayin focused on form and rehabbing my back, not getn crazy with it

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I hear ya man. Mine told me not to squat or do deads (no surgeries) anymore. That's why I had to come up with ways to do them light and still tear em down for rebuild.

Not running or jogging sounds pretty serious.

HDH

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Well I had X-rays done and a final visit with the surgeon last wk. didn't realize I had 2 cages installed! X-rays looked great, cages stayed well aligned and no haloing. Ben steadily increasing my squat while keeping form tight. Started with just the bar and added dimes on for each set. Glad to say I comfortably got up to 3 sets of 5 reps @ 175lbs. I know these are not big #'s but considering what I went thru I'm very pleased with my progress. Heels aren't coming off the floor, knees not passing my toes, and just bout ass to ankles.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
dont rush the numbers, as i have done in a hurry to get back to my former self and wound up in trouble very quick, now i can't squat at all my friend..slow and steady.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic