Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Power lifting for body building

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think beginner and intermediate will make the fastest gains so yes it might be too slow for them....but for a guy like me making ANY gains are great! Adding 10lbs a month to my deads is crazy progress. 5 to my bench.... I'll take it! For guys who have been at this a while and already fairly well developed strength wise, those gains are really good and to make them 3-4 months in a row is just outstanding. (at least for me they are.....maybe I am missing something)

The reason why I say it's to slow for Crow is b/c he's talking about training with it for a couple of months and not a year. Wendler's program works over the long haul and not the short term. The %'s you use are low so you can continue to hit bigger numbers (relatively) each month.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
i gained quite a bit of size by switching to a powerlifting focused routine. first it was 5/3/1 then SST(BrotherIron's routine) but it seemed the lower volume and higher intensity was what i needed.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
SM and Crow-very cool.

Props to SM for extending his hand.

Myself personally, I'm considered a powerbuilder as I like to look good and throw bigger weights around and hit PR's.....I respond well to heavy fukkin weight but I always throw in a burn out set or a few slow supersets and squeeze the **** out of that muscle that I'm training...it's a staple in my routines and also helps with my main lifts to burnout the accessory lifts....both compliment the other for how I respond. It's not black and white IMO

There is no black and white and we are not all the same, I've scrapped program after program for clients, until I realized something. We're all different, and we all respond different to stimuli. Finding that is the key to being succesful.

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
Im a fat PLer, anything over three reps is cardio...lol

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
There is no black and white and we are not all the same, I've scrapped program after program for clients, until I realized something. We're all different, and we all respond different to stimuli. Finding that is the key to being succesful.

Agree. You need to get to know your client. Training is just manipulating a bunch of fitness principles to obtain the best outcome for each person.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I have to agree as well, and that's one of the reasons I stopped training people online a few years back. I want to be physically one-on-one working with people, not just be going off emails and photos.

I know plenty of people work that way so I don't want to seem like I'm disrespecting anybody that has 'online clients', but I ended up building my buisness up to the point where I had just over 100 active people that I was training. I always felt that I needed to be there for them, I became their honest, second set of eyes to guide them whenever the scales or the mirror gave them a false perception of themselves. Hard to do that if you're not there in person to observe the results you have helped create for them.

S

stone14

Apr 17, 2013
Iv just started a 5/3/1 variation routine which is.

Wo1
Bench press 5/3/1 layout
Bench press 5x10
Full bw deep dips 5x15 or 75total reps as long as it takes.

Wo2
Squat 5/3/1 layout
Squat 5x10
leg curl 5x10
Leg ex 5x10
Calve raises 5x15
Leg press 5x15

Wo3
Ohp 5/3/1 layout
Ohp 5x10
Upright row 5x15
Bb shrugs 5x10-15
Cgbp 5x5-8

Wo4
Deadlift 5/3/1 layout
Deadlift 5x10

Pullups 5/3/1 layout
Pull downs 5x10
Rows 5x10
Bb curls 5x5-8

I cant deadlift of squat anymore because of back injury/ surgery so iv just replaced squats with more leg press and just changed deadlifts to back-bi day only.

So that's sort of a 5/3/1&bodybuilding routine hybrid, I'm liking it so far.

Last edited:
oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
years of bodybuilding fried my adrenal glands, took away my hope of getting huge(like the pros) and if it weren't for a certain life issue that forced me to clamp down on my spending, I may have dropped out of any weightlifting venture by now...I chose out of necessity the 5x5 crow, very similar to the 5/3/1.. it breathed new life into my workouts and got me growing and even more important, motivated again!! im not knocking bodybuilding in anyway, but after years of 6 days a week, balls to the wall training, somethings gonna give!! good luck crowman..take the 5/3/1 and give it youe all bro..you will not be disappointed!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
There are so many good programs out there, I think success largely comes down to the application of the individual; that and also the fact that a lot of lifters simply don't give the program a long enough run, strength takes time and effort to build and it's not something you should expect in 8 or 12 weeks IMO.

Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu

Apr 21, 2013
I am a big power-bodybuilding advocate, lift big, eat big, rest big. I typically recommend at least 5 years of focusing on heavy weights. However, I advocate that trainers should do more accessory work in addition to a basic pwl routine. I have also been an advocate of less volume, higher intensity. Do not train more than an hour a day, 4 days a week (other 3 are cardio).

Extensive accessory work will help make sure muscles are developed in balance, which will prevent injury. I actually trained that way until I had shoulder surgery a few years ago, and keep my reps up at 10 or more. If I did it all again, I would have made the shift to lighter weight/higher reps about 10 years earlier.

But BBs should also be strong. I always recomend Dorian Yates program

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Iv just started a 5/3/1 variation routine which is.

Wo1
Bench press 5/3/1 layout
Bench press 5x10
Full bw deep dips 5x15 or 75total reps as long as it takes.

Wo2
Squat 5/3/1 layout
Squat 5x10
leg curl 5x10
Leg ex 5x10
Calve raises 5x15
Leg press 5x15

Wo3
Ohp 5/3/1 layout
Ohp 5x10
Upright row 5x15
Bb shrugs 5x10-15
Cgbp 5x5-8

Wo4
Deadlift 5/3/1 layout
Deadlift 5x10

Pullups 5/3/1 layout
Pull downs 5x10
Rows 5x10
Bb curls 5x5-8

I cant deadlift of squat anymore because of back injury/ surgery so iv just replaced squats with more leg press and just changed deadlifts to back-bi day only.

So that's sort of a 5/3/1&bodybuilding routine hybrid, I'm liking it so far.

I would add a few light weight shoulder exercises to your bench day and try face pulls between sets, benching and dips will fry em and adding a few front raises, pull aparts etc... will go along way to keeping them healthy, I would also consider throwing in a row of some sort on your bench day. Just my 2 cents... I like this program and can't overstate how important to your bench having OHP on it's own day is!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic