Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Power lifting for body building

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
Thats cool man, shoot me a pm. For powerlifting which is what the 5/3/1 was designed for it is too slow for any significant gains there are much better options out there. Yeah, if you agree to a log just hit me up in my inbox. I can take care of your diet/food/training/cardio/cycle/ and everything else in between heading up to a show. The only thing I do not do is posing routines. I could use to PR I've been trying to start a training business online and would be happy to go at it for free with you no matter the outcome as long as you're honest about the results with me good or bad. I think you are a much better candidate than KBD for PR reasons expecially. I've got extensive peptide knowledge save for insulin I won't touch on that if someone chooses to use it that's perfectly fine but I do not advocate it. I know how anabolic it is but I also know a few guys who didn't take it seriously and have been on the brink of an er trip due to hypoglycemia.

Great SM lets talk. Im always up for something new and id be glad to log it. i dont need personal info but regarding wanting to start up a training biz whats your background or experience? I can definitely help you in that area as im in contact with the health and fitness field daily based on my business. This might be fun for the both of us. We can put together not only a training program to lab rat me on but a gameplan for your business as well. i have people ask me daily who they should talk to about working with.

Forklift PM me your email and your stats to make sure were in the right ball park to start and we can add from there as we introduce foods to your body and see how it responds.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
I was a personal trainer, I was NASM CPT, and NASM PES. I had 30 active real life clients, 11 I wrote out programs for, and another handful that I trained sporadically and did fitness assessments for. I no longer do it actively due to life changes (fiance was one of my clients she didn't want me to train anymore). My PES is still active as it never expires but I did end up not paying the money to recertify for my CPT. I was financially strapped at the time and wasn't using it. I worked for ballys for 2 years, was offered a job at a hardcore athletic training gym but declined ended up being a sales manager at the ballys and then quit when they wouldn't move into the fitness manager position as I was tired of sales. You can ref check me with some of my old clients via facebook if you like, I don't mind giving you my personal info I have heard you are a very solid guy so I know it won't end up anywhere else.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
I've sent you a couple PM's and an email Crow. Just give me a shout man. Looking forward to it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Forklift PM me your email and your stats to make sure were in the right ball park to start and we can add from there as we introduce foods to your body and see how it responds.
Hey Crow, easiest if you can contact me straight through my website:

http://jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size#!contact/ServicesPage-bmmaq7o0

Just curious to hear what you recommend ~ you might have a few ideas or an approach that could be different to how I have done things up until now. FWIW I've been a Personal Trainer for 10+yrs and I'm looking at studying clinical nutrition under Dr. Robert Buist next year. It's always been something that has interested me.

Last edited:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have been running 5/3/1 going into my 4th cycle. I have made steady progress. (added 5lbs to upper body and 10 to lower ON EVERY CYCLE as prescribed. I am hitting the same reps on my 1+ sets so there is definite progress!).

FOR ME that is awesome. I am 5'9 200lbs 10-12% bf with only recent mild anabolic use. Life time natty until HRT a year ago. My deads are pushing 630 (pulled 620 last month in a meet and the 630 is my computed 1rm from the heavier weights I am now working) my bench went from computed 405 to now 420. Squat is a scratch. (been working around an hip flexor injury for months). Last week went back up to 475x1 (close stance). I have had to adopt close stance squatting or I aggravate my hip BAD. I expect to get back over 500 soon (even doing it close), but it is far from ideal for power since I have a great PC I am not making use of squatting close.

I am doing the big but boring variant except I switch up the accessory work so I hit my body twice a week. (one heavy and one light). Eg on OHP day, my accessory work is light bench and on bench day my accessory work is OHP...etc. I kept the accessory work 'standard' for squats and deads as it was too much to do them twice a week for me.

Anyway.....I am making what I consider GREAT progress on 5/3/1. I have never really considered myself a 'powerlifter', but it looks like I might be becoming one. My workouts were always based around heavy compounds with very little iso work. I used to only workout 3 days a week but with 5/3/1 I bumped it to 4. Really enjoying it.

Last edited:
DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I love 5/3/1 myself. I'm in my 5th cycle. You can play with your "assistance work" to suit your goals. The gains are a bit slower then some other programs, but for me, being a bit older, this program lets you lift heavy without completely killing yourself.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
Hey Crow, easiest if you can contact me straight through my website:

http://jimsty.wix.com/strength-vs-size#!contact/ServicesPage-bmmaq7o0

Just curious to hear what you recommend ~ you might have a few ideas or an approach that could be different to how I have done things up until now. FWIW I've been a Personal Trainer for 10+yrs and I'm looking at studying clinical nutrition under Dr. Robert Buist next year. It's always been something that has interested me.

Hmmm just noticed your a Vegan. My Diet definitely will not work for you sorry bro.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
SM and Crow-very cool.

Props to SM for extending his hand.

Myself personally, I'm considered a powerbuilder as I like to look good and throw bigger weights around and hit PR's.....I respond well to heavy fukkin weight but I always throw in a burn out set or a few slow supersets and squeeze the **** out of that muscle that I'm training...it's a staple in my routines and also helps with my main lifts to burnout the accessory lifts....both compliment the other for how I respond. It's not black and white IMO

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
I'm using Wendler's 5-3-1 boring but big program. It's simple and I can get it done. I am making some nice gains even at my age. Of course..not a BBer by any stretch of the imagination. I think I look like I'm a lifter and better yet been told by some people that I do...so a plus.

I'm always looking for new routines but for now..this routine has been one of the best for me. Interested to see what you have in mind for Crowman..Superman. Although, I realize it's how you make a living so not wanting to disrespect this.

Keep up the good work Crowman...for me..adjusting 5-3-1 and tweaking accessory work has helped keep it more interesting for me.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
What Super saying about 5/3/1 is an accurate portrayal.... it's slow, very slow gains. Wendler has it set up to be a marathon and not a sprint which adds longevity to any lifter's career but it's molasses slow. I think it's great for a beginner but as lifters progress from a beginner to an intermediate lifter it's time to severely tweak it or change things up completely.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
What Super saying about 5/3/1 is an accurate portrayal.... it's slow, very slow gains. Wendler has it set up to be a marathon and not a sprint which adds longevity to any lifter's career but it's molasses slow. I think it's great for a beginner but as lifters progress from a beginner to an intermediate lifter it's time to severely tweak it or change things up completely.

I think beginner and intermediate will make the fastest gains so yes it might be too slow for them....but for a guy like me making ANY gains are great! Adding 10lbs a month to my deads is crazy progress. 5 to my bench.... I'll take it! For guys who have been at this a while and already fairly well developed strength wise, those gains are really good and to make them 3-4 months in a row is just outstanding. (at least for me they are.....maybe I am missing something)

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Hmmm just noticed your a Vegan. My Diet definitely will not work for you sorry bro.
No probs at all, you got my PM? Thanks and all the best with the training, interested to see how it all comes along MF

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic