Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Power lifting for body building

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
Some food for thought here. I have recently switched over to the 5/3/1 PL routine frankly cause I was burned out on BB training and looking for something fun after tearing my bicep only my second strong man training day ever...apparently that sports not for me. Now i realize how much I lift doesnt mean shit when it comes to my build but here is where Im trying to actually change that a bit.

For example my squat sets for working weight were usually around 315lbs for various rep schemes. Yesterday I hit 430x10 and hit 500Lbs for a single a couple days before that. at the end of my PL training that day I switch over back to my BB routine which is usually drop sets, holds, partials etc etc to focus on the muscle at hand.

If I can increase my working weights from say 315 on squats to 405 then surely increased size will come with that assuming proper form, technique, and diet are incorporated. Im about 5 weeks into this and so far enjoying it. We shall see if it worked in a few months when I can look back and reflect.

Has anyone else taken this approach or thought of doing so?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
That's awesome man.

This program CAN be used for body building.

It all depends on how you set up the workout.

It makes sense that doing more reps and increasing the weight would add size. Along with diet being right.

Would love to hear progress updates.

Hope you enjoy the routine.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
That's awesome man.

This program CAN be used for body building.

It all depends on how you set up the workout.

It makes sense that doing more reps and increasing the weight would add size. Along with diet being right.

Would love to hear progress updates.

Hope you enjoy the routine.

If it does not end up working, at least I got out of my boredom rut from HIT BB Training. Plus I've set all sorts of new PR's. As long as I dont over due it to the point of injury I think pushing the body with both weight and reps, at different lengths of time, will in the end yield the results needed to keep a workout from becoming stagnant and the body constantly guessing. Ill save my real HIIT shit for contest prep again because I didnt find that to be a great size builder as much as a hardening training and separation/ connective tissue work. Now, to tackle the Calves issue...

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Crow I'm a powerlifter, with that being said I use to be into bodybuilding until I started getting big and realized I don't have the symmetry/aesthetics of a great body builder. I've never been an advocate of the 5/3/1 I personally think it's no good. There are faster ways to get stronger and there are also much better ways to get bigger. If you want I can write you a work with rep times/tempo/rest intervals, down to the nitty gritty. PM me if interested and you want to try it out, I've never had anyone say my bodybuilder workouts are busy and I trained a slew of them.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
Crow I'm a powerlifter, with that being said I use to be into bodybuilding until I started getting big and realized I don't have the symmetry/aesthetics of a great body builder. I've never been an advocate of the 5/3/1 I personally think it's no good. There are faster ways to get stronger and there are also much better ways to get bigger. If you want I can write you a work with rep times/tempo/rest intervals, down to the nitty gritty. PM me if interested and you want to try it out, I've never had anyone say my bodybuilder workouts are busy and I trained a slew of them.

SM, thank you for the offer. What do you not like about 5/3/1? I dont know shit about PL im just scratching the surface but enjoying furthering my knowledge and training arsenal. I would be very interested to see what you have come up with and give it a shot. Im about 5 weeks or so into this routine and would like to give it a solid 8 week shot. Then Id be glad to give your program a shot if it make sense. I trained with Tony Raccanelli the last 2 years with good results but it was very light and very high reps and I feel like that is great for going into contests but putting on size it is not necessarily optimal for, at least for my body...while im young enough to recover from a heavier based program. Theres a time and place for every style so this switch up might be a good thing....actually it has to be because i was damn near ready to give up on it i was so burned out. Id be glad to give you my email if you want to chat and if we move forward ill keep a log of it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I believe it can be done, I've been a competitive PL'er for years but now I can't do that anymore. I'm thinking of taking a more BB'er approach with regards to how I look, but my emphasis on training will largely remain rooted in my PL'ing methodologies.

I just might have to have a play around with my calories/macros, because whilst I could always manage to significantly increase my strength and lifts, my muscle mass and bodyweight really didn't change that much. I'll have to figure out the reasoning behind that (I'm confident I can find out), but I have a feeling it was largely due to not taking in enough calories consistently.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Well lets think about this for a minute.

Whenever someone first starts working out, what is the first two things weight lifters with some experience tell them?

"You have to EAT and you have to lift HEAVY."

So when first starting out lifting heavy is really the recommendation that is made.

This will build your base.

However, once your foundation is built you may have to change this and increase reputations to grow.

Everyone responds different so I think each person might choose a different workout approach.

But I think when first starting to lift weights, that a powerlifting approach will give you good results.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
I believe it can be done, I've been a competitive PL'er for years but now I can't do that anymore. I'm thinking of taking a more BB'er approach with regards to how I look, but my emphasis on training will largely remain rooted in my PL'ing methodologies.

I just might have to have a play around with my calories/macros, because whilst I could always manage to significantly increase my strength and lifts, my muscle mass and bodyweight really didn't change that much. I'll have to figure out the reasoning behind that (I'm confident I can find out), but I have a feeling it was largely due to not taking in enough calories consistently.

Food is everything, if you want i can give you some good clean starting diets...they will take some getting used to though becuase its alot of food but after the first week to 10 days it gets easier

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Crow I almost want to say "DUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH" but its something a lot of people never seem to think about... I didn't start growing much until I switch to powerlifting. Just works for my body type I guess. I do like a lot of volume though. But anyway this is definitely something you should pursue. Take superman up on his offer of a training plan too. 5/3/1 is good for steady but slow gains, but there are much better methods IMO.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
i've always heard of it as powerbuilding and there are a lot of programs out there that promote exactly what your talking about. There's a trainer here locally that has something like 9 pro-BBers in his camp and they train a lot like power lifters when they first start with him

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
SM, thank you for the offer. What do you not like about 5/3/1? I dont know shit about PL im just scratching the surface but enjoying furthering my knowledge and training arsenal. I would be very interested to see what you have come up with and give it a shot. Im about 5 weeks or so into this routine and would like to give it a solid 8 week shot. Then Id be glad to give your program a shot if it make sense. I trained with Tony Raccanelli the last 2 years with good results but it was very light and very high reps and I feel like that is great for going into contests but putting on size it is not necessarily optimal for, at least for my body...while im young enough to recover from a heavier based program. Theres a time and place for every style so this switch up might be a good thing....actually it has to be because i was damn near ready to give up on it i was so burned out. Id be glad to give you my email if you want to chat and if we move forward ill keep a log of it.
Thats cool man, shoot me a pm. For powerlifting which is what the 5/3/1 was designed for it is too slow for any significant gains there are much better options out there. Yeah, if you agree to a log just hit me up in my inbox. I can take care of your diet/food/training/cardio/cycle/ and everything else in between heading up to a show. The only thing I do not do is posing routines. I could use to PR I've been trying to start a training business online and would be happy to go at it for free with you no matter the outcome as long as you're honest about the results with me good or bad. I think you are a much better candidate than KBD for PR reasons expecially. I've got extensive peptide knowledge save for insulin I won't touch on that if someone chooses to use it that's perfectly fine but I do not advocate it. I know how anabolic it is but I also know a few guys who didn't take it seriously and have been on the brink of an er trip due to hypoglycemia.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Food is everything, if you want i can give you some good clean starting diets...they will take some getting used to though becuase its alot of food but after the first week to 10 days it gets easier
Fire away :p

5/3/1 is a great program, Wendler really knows his stuff and I like the fact that he doesn't overcomplicate anything; I personally made the best gains from running BL's "The Cube Method".

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic