Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Power lifting for body building

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I have also been an advocate of less volume, higher intensity. Do not train more than an hour a day, 4 days a week (other 3 are cardio).
Less volume but still training 7 days a week? No rest day(s)?

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
For everyone that thinks 5/3/1 is too slow, doesn't have enough high % work (of 1rm), or is otherwise not suited for the advanced trainee; I urge you to pick up a copy of Wendler's new ebook "Beyond 5/3/1". I think you'll change your mind.

There are some brutally intense additions and modifications.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
For everyone that thinks 5/3/1 is too slow, doesn't have enough high % work (of 1rm), or is otherwise not suited for the advanced trainee; I urge you to pick up a copy of Wendler's new ebook "Beyond 5/3/1". I think you'll change your mind.

There are some brutally intense additions and modifications.
Are you able to elaborate at all?

I'll definately pick up this book at some point to add to the collection.

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
Are you able to elaborate at all?

I'll definately pick up this book at some point to add to the collection.

Some of his methods are tough to explain, and there are MANY different versions of 5/3/1 in the book now.

However, the jist of it is heavy (90-100% 1 rep training max) and hypermaximal singles, down sets and pyramiding to increase volume, and overall just heavier (think Bulgarian) programming.

Wendler seems to have an aversion to Westside methods to some degree, but he does include some speed work options based on Prilepin's Chart. I realize this isn't unique to WSB, but it was popularized by Louie.

S

stone14

Apr 17, 2013
I would add a few light weight shoulder exercises to your bench day and try face pulls between sets, benching and dips will fry em and adding a few front raises, pull aparts etc... will go along way to keeping them healthy, I would also consider throwing in a row of some sort on your bench day. Just my 2 cents... I like this program and can't overstate how important to your bench having OHP on it's own day is!

I done this wo this week and by the time I done my ohp on shoulder day they were fookd, pumpd and burning to the joint, so think I will add ohp into chest day like you say, or leave them to rest longer.

Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu

Apr 21, 2013
Less volume but still training 7 days a week? No rest day(s)?

Correct. Volume is volume of exercises. Once I am completely warmed up I do only 2-3 sets of each exorcize. These sets are very high intensity. 3 days a week I do 30 minutes of cardio and superset abs w/ in those 30 minutes. If my performance is enhanced, I will do a more volume and then do cardio 5-6 days a week.

So, if natural or on trt, I will do 1 hour of training 4 days a week. Cardio/abs are 30 minutes 3 days a week. Total time training=5.5 hours.

If I get 7.5 hours of sleep I don't need days off. About once a month I will take a day off, usually because I did not get enough sleep.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
IN a certain way, yes I did gravitate away from bodybuilding, after 25 years of mega set weightlifting I was forced to come up with a plan that would allow me to go to the gym 3xs per week(no gas money).I was skeptical as hell but I went with the 5x5.The single best move, weightlifting wise, I have ever made besides my desire to start lifting in the first place.While not quite a powerlifting routine it does demand maximum weight at a mid-low rep scheme,Which has allowed me to get stronger and the added strength on the basics put more muscle on my frame that I ever could have imagined.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic