What's New?

Pop Under Bottom Rib/Abdominal Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
If you tore some cartilage, you would know that shit hurts like a mofo.
I tore the cartilage btw two ribs a few months back. Dude that shit hurts like a motherfucker. i think you would know, bc i thought it was broken before i went to the ortho. there were only 2 ways i could find to position myself that hurt less. took me 6 weeks to truly recover. the anti inflammatory steroids really helped. too bad i was pig headed for 2 weeks before i went...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've done this a few times. You popped a rib most likely and if it's "out" you'll want to roll on a tennis ball to put it back in place. Ice, aleeve, and rest the area.

This is a common occurrence when pulling.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
With the intercostal pull I mentioned, I had acute pain that was triggered by anything that raised the pressure in my abdomen. (Flexing ab muscles, bending over, or god help you if you sneezed!). I have suffered a few muscle tears in my life....and all of them I heard very loud...even when there was a bunch of outside noise. (one time on a dirt bike). I think it is the same effect as eating corn flakes....the noise is traveling through your body, so you can hear it well.

There are different stages of tears. I think they grade them 1,2 and 3. 1 being minor, 2 being moderate and 3 complete separation. I have only done 1 and 2 stage tears and luckily I have never suffered a full stage three tear. It is possible you only did a stage 1 tear.

Here is a link for info on that:
Injuries - Muscle Strains

Here is a link with some info on all kinds of rib injuries including pulls.
Rib Injury, The Annoying Pain presented in Medicine section

Bruised Ribs
A blow to an unprotected rib cage can bruise the ribs. The treatment for bruised ribs is to rest them and apply ice until the pain is gone. You can continue activities if you use a pad to protect the ribs. This pad, made of strong plastic with an absorbent material underneath, looks like a flak jacket; it hangs on the shoulders and wraps around the rib cage. Several varieties are available in sporting goods stores.

Separated Rib
A severe blow can cause a rib separation, in which the rib tears loose from the cartilage in the front.

You will feel severe pain, usually toward the front of the rib cage, and it will hurt to breathe. When you bend over or rotate your body, you may feel a “pop.” It will be particularly painful to go from a lying to a sitting position, so you may have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. If someone puts one hand on your back and the other on your breastbone and squeezes, you will feel tremendous pain.

The treatment is to use a rib belt. This is a strap of elastic, about eight inches wide, that goes around the rib cage. It stretches tight and closes in front. This compresses the rib cage so that it can’t expand too far. The belt holds the rib end in place until it heals and lessens the pain of everyday movements.

No matter how much you may want to, you can’t participate in sports when you have separated ribs. The resulting pain will be too much to allow you to continue.

Broken Rib
The ultimate injury from a blow to the rib cage is a broken rib. The pain may occur anywhere in the rib cage depending on where the rib is broken. It may be that more than one rib is broken.

You will feel the same pain as with bruised or separated ribs, only more severe. You should be concerned about sharp ends of broken ribs and should have an x-ray. Any excessive strain or movement, or another blow, can cause a sharp end to puncture a lung, sending you to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Again, the treatment is to rest (for about six weeks) and to wear a rib belt until the pain is gone. An x-ray must show that the ribs have healed before you can return to activity.

Pulled Rib Muscle
The muscle between each pair of ribs, the intercostal muscle, which is the muscle used in respiration, may pull or tear due to overstress. This can happen to a tennis or football player who makes a sudden, violent lateral motion or suddenly rotates the rib cage.

As a result, you will feel tenderness between the ribs, not on them. Again, rest the ribs and ice them until the pain disappears, and use a rib belt until you can move about freely.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This thing hurts like a bitch today! Got a doc appt so they can poke me and the nurse says they'll want an X-ray to start...

Dammit. I fought thru all sorts of aches and pains and put every bit of effort into this Sheiko program for the last four weeks. I had one more workout to go and then I could say "I did that." One for god damn workout to go...

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
This thing hurts like a bitch today! Got a doc appt so they can poke me and the nurse says they'll want an X-ray to start...

Dammit. I fought thru all sorts of aches and pains and put every bit of effort into this Sheiko program for the last four weeks. I had one more workout to go and then I could say "I did that." One for god damn workout to go...

Brother good luck with that. I had an injury in a similar location, made a pop too. Mine was from excessive coughing if you can believe that, but at the time I was 300+ in bodyweight and could produce some force, I was coughing badly and I felt a snap/pop, and it hurt like hell, I iced it and alternated with heat, the next day it really hurt (and I was still coughing and agrivating it) I took some IGF and inj directly into the area, as well as continued to ice and take ibuprofen so I could function at work.
I though I would be done training for months, in a matter of one week it was healed...so I hope your prognosis is good and you can get back in the game quickly.
Good luck.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Yeah, I think I said that allready.

Since you're the newly appointed grammar king, I thought you should know that you don't know how to spell already.

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Clearly this post has wandered off topic and needs no further discussion.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.