What's New?

Pop Under Bottom Rib/Abdominal Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Tonight while I was deadlifting I felt a pop or tear... Like something let go. The feeling came from a spot on or just below or maybe even behind my bottom rib. It wasn't really painful, but it was noticed for sure. Its about 4 or 5 inches left of center.

Anyone got a clue?

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Are you having any trouble breathing, any swelling in the area? Did it sound like a knuckle popping or like something tearing? At some point in time I broke my sternum and after that I would stretch my chest and it would snap like a knuckle, I never even knew I broke the shit till they did an xray possibly years later. I think if you can breath ok, no swelling and or pain that is still being felt you're probably ok.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Are you having any trouble breathing, any swelling in the area? Did it sound like a knuckle popping or like something tearing? At some point in time I broke my sternum and after that I would stretch my chest and it would snap like a knuckle, I never even knew I broke the shit till they did an xray possibly years later. I think if you can breath ok, no swelling and or pain that is still being felt you're probably ok.

not really painful... It kinda hurts if I stretch it out and I tried to cut one and when I pushed for dramatic effect that hurt...Its too far off center to be my sternum I think. I don't remember a sound but it felt like a pop. No swelling or bruising. I only had like 315 on the bar so I doubt I snapped a bone.

Project

Project

Jun 22, 2011
on the way down or on the way up?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Up (10characters rule)

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
maybe you twisted a rib........i have done that before but it usually requires some impact....like someone falling on top of you or getting thrown on the ground......the rib basically will shift around causing sharp pain....all it requires is some rest and light rehab to strengthen the area again

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
maybe you twisted a rib........i have done that before but it usually requires some impact....like someone falling on top of you or getting thrown on the ground......the rib basically will shift around causing sharp pain....all it requires is some rest and light rehab to strengthen the area again

I think that might actually be possible... I was right about to pull (sumo) so I was kinda hunched over... I'm new to pulling sumo so if I wasn't lined up at the bar right there would be some twisting to bring the bar in and up... I'm not bleeding so it cant be that bad!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
you might have tore some of the cartilage that is at the end of your bottom rib. the bone stops short of the sternum and a fibrous joint goes from the end of the bone attaching up to the last of the sternum. it would attach to the bone right about where you are describing the pain.

106373ec.jpg

the floating rib part. the connection between it and the real rib bone is not that difficult to pop.

Last edited:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
What about an intercoatal pull? I did that one time doing romainian DL's. Sounded like a rubberband snapped and felt a pop.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
What about an intercoatal pull? I did that one time doing romainian DL's. Sounded like a rubberband snapped and felt a pop.

Queue up :50

So what did you do about it???

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
you might have tore some of the cartilage that is at the end of your bottom rib. the bone stops short of the sternum and a fibrous joint goes from the end of the bone attaching up to the last of the sternum. it would attach to the bone right about where you are describing the pain.

106373ec.jpg

the floating rib part. the connection between it and the real rib bone is not that difficult to pop.

That is the exact location (floating ribs)! And the feeling is like what Macgyver described...

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I very much doubt you really have torn any cartilage POB, ribs can be 'adjusted' like vertebra.
It is very likely that your breathing and pulling on the bar simultaneously 'adjusted' a rib, I have done this umteen times, and it will feel sore.
Its like the first time you got to the chiropracter and you are sore the next day.
Any theory is plausible and an MRI is really the only way to nail it down.

ICE the shit out of the area dont do anything for the time that would aggrivate it, if you want alternate ice with heat but for now I would be thinking less about etiology and precise prognosis and more about first aid.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.