Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Overcoming injuries at 41

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is yesterday's entry for shoulders.

Warm up for this is the same as every upper body warm up routine, including rotators.

----------------------------------

First exercise- Smith Machine Shoulder Press

This exercise pyramids up in weight and ends in a drop set. It's also done with a 4 second slow negative.

Total number of sets- 5

Set #1-
65lbs @ 10 reps

Set #2-
75lbs @ 10 reps

Set #3
95lbs @ 10

set #4
115lbs @ 6 reps

set #5
135lb drop set
135 @ 4 reps / 85 @ 8 / 65 @ 6 / 45 @ 4-4 (second 4 is moderate speed)

-----------------------------------

Exercise #2 Rear Delts On Adjustable Incline Bench With 25 and 20lb Dumbbells

On this exercise I'm on my stomach, on the incline bench starting with the 25lb DB then switching to the 20lb DBs.

I start with arms hanging to the ground, then lift them up slightly higher than my back, arms stay to the side, not out like you would expect a rear delt exercise to be. It almost looks like a variation of a back exercise. I do a 2 second iso hold at the top and a 3 second drop.

Total number of sets- 3

Set #1
25lb/20lb - 8/7

Set #2
25lb/20lb - 7/4-2 (on 20lb- 4 reps, 2 hold and 3 drop, 2 reps no hold regular drop)

Set #3
25lb/20lb - 7/4-3 (on 20lb- 4 reps, 2 hold and 3 drop, 3 reps no hold regular drop)
--------------------------

Exercise #3 Side Delts On Cybex Side Lateral Machine

I pyramid up on this exercise and use a 4 sec drop. I've been going up a little each week, same this week as well.

Set #1
85lbs- 12

Set #2
90lbs- 12

Set #3
95lbs- 12

--------------------------

Exercise #4 Wide/Close - Front/Back Shrugs On the Smith

I use two plates on each side of the smith (205). I went up from last week but had to use rest pause this week.

Total number of sets- 3

Set #1
205lbs @ Back Wide- 8 / Back Close- 8 / Front Wide- 8 / Front Close- 8

Set #2
205lbs @ Back Wide- 8 / Back Close- 8 / Front Wide- 8 / Front Close- 8

Set #3
205lbs @ Back Wide- 8 / Back Close- 6/2 / Front Wide- 8 / Front Close-4/4 (second numbers for both close grip were rest pause)

----------------------------------------

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is yesterday's entry for quads.

I did usual tread and leg press warm up.

-----------------------------

Exercise #1- 1 Legged Machine Hack Squats

Slow up, slow down. Went up slightly in weight for each set.

Set #1
240lbs@ 10/10 (first number represents right leg, second number, left)

Set #2
240lbs@ 10/10

Set #3
250lbs@ 10/10

Set #4
260lbs@ 10/10

Set #5
270lbs@ 8-2 / 8-2 (2 is rest pause for left and right legs)

---------------------------------------

Exercise #2- 1.5 Back Squats on the Smith

They are all the way down, half way up, back down then all the way up.

Slow down, slow up.

This was my second week of these. I came in warmed up better at the beginning this week.

I decided to go with lower reps so I wouldn't burn out so quickly. These will have your teardrops crying. LOL

Set #1
115 @ 6

Set #2
135 @ 6

Set #3
165 @ 6

Set #4
185 @ 5

Set #5
205 @ 5 (up 1 rep)

Set #6
115 @ 8 (This last set was a moderate pace, down 2 reps)

--------------------------------

Exercise #3- Leg Extensions

Up 5lbs per set, down 2 reps sets 2 -4. I'll stay at this weight until I get 15 across the board.

Set #1
135@ 15

Set #2
140@ 13

Set #3
145@ 13

Set #4
150@ 13

-------------------------

HDH

Last edited:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Thanks for the response. I want to be a competitive bodybuilder. It's what drives me so hard at age 41. It's really the only thing I care about and without it, my drive is nothing. I would just be another American sitting on the couch every nite or getting tanked up in a bar somewhere. This keeps me off the couch and away from the bad things that used to plague my life.

That's awesome HDH. Good luck with the goal. The 40s can be a great decade. I don't know why so many fold it up and get old at that age. The body and mind are still capable of great things. Do you have a target date to compete?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Do you alternate between doing squats on the smith and free squats HDH? Do you have a preference?

Nice workout anyway, good weight on all of them for the reps you are knocking out. You usually get much DOMS in your legs after training them or not anymore?

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
That's awesome HDH. Good luck with the goal. The 40s can be a great decade. I don't know why so many fold it up and get old at that age. The body and mind are still capable of great things. Do you have a target date to compete?

Thanks man. I spent the first half of my life on the couch and in the bars. The second half will be quite the opposite.

I wish I would have done this years earlier but I believe we go through what we go through to become the people we are.

I just wasn't ready.

Not sure on a set date. I've got some loose skin I need to fill in. I'm to small at this point and when I cut down, it becomes apparent.

I'd say at least a year minimum hitting it hard the whole time but I'll just have to see.

At least at my age, I won't have to compete with the young bucks. LOL

Just have to see about that skin.

Gains are fantastic at this point.

I'll post another pic in a few weeks before start trying to drop a little body fat.

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Do you alternate between doing squats on the smith and free squats HDH? Do you have a preference?

Nice workout anyway, good weight on all of them for the reps you are knocking out. You usually get much DOMS in your legs after training them or not anymore?

Actually, I rotate em in and out.

Yes on the DOMS, every week :)

HDH

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Haha well that's good to hear. I hardly ever get any DOMS except after training legs. Always brutal but to me it's usually a rewarding workout when I train them, probably my favourite bodypart to train even though they've never been anything special.

What's on for your weekend, much planned?

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Haha well that's good to hear. I hardly ever get any DOMS except after training legs. Always brutal but to me it's usually a rewarding workout when I train them, probably my favourite bodypart to train even though they've never been anything special.

What's on for your weekend, much planned?

I like to rotate a squat in and out every few weeks. Nothing crazy or to soon but it helps to keep from going stale. I like to switch exercises up like that. I don't care for a whole routine change.

Work and then twiddling my thumbs since I'm not going to the gym :((

HDH

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Box squats are a great exercise to rotate in and out as well HDH, I know a lot of raw lifters that have told me box squats have added heaps to their squat.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I wish I could just do em all. LOL

HDH

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Haha, I hear you. But rotation is good.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Just checking in HDH, noticed you hadn't posted anything in here for a week or so.

All okay with you, have you still been training?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic