Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Overcoming injuries at 41

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Awesome stuff HDH! I'm a competitive bodybuilder of more than 10 years and lifting more than 30 years, but some joint injuries and foot issues took me out of the game 2 years ago and its just taken the fun out of the one thing in my life I had passion for. I'm working an excellent chiropractor to start rectifying the issues, but more generally, my overall structural integrity so I can actually correct the joint issues I've got and get my body working the way it is supposed to instead of trying to support the way I've ended up. I'm paying attention to your journal - I appreciate the detail you're including and the why's for your choices. I'm not especially limited in what I can do in the gym - just feel like I've lost my "purpose" and focus there so I've mostly just gone sporadically and not really sure what I should be doing when I get there. I'm working w/ my chiro & PT to identify what I need to do, and I'm putting together a program that makes me do the right warm ups (which I have never been very good about doing because I wanted to get to the weights...) but still give me the exercises in the gym that have always been what brought me in every day. Definitely a huge mental shift from "lifting big" to lifting "smart". Not as exciting but if it means I can do it longer w/o further falling apart, that seems like a worthwhile trade.

Because such a big part of what I'm trying to change in my approach is about overall push/pull balance & structural integrity, I was curious if you have incorporated anything like yoga or other sort of holistic components to your protocol? BTW I struggle w/ stuff like this because yoga is sort of boring, but mostly I can't stand going to classes and I'm never motivated enough to do stuff at home.

Thanks for the response. I want to be a competitive bodybuilder. It's what drives me so hard at age 41. It's really the only thing I care about and without it, my drive is nothing. I would just be another American sitting on the couch every nite or getting tanked up in a bar somewhere. This keeps me off the couch and away from the bad things that used to plague my life.

I've never really paid attention to warmups until this last year and a half. After all the troubles with injuries, I was willing to do whatever it took to keep me in the gym and moving forward. My warmup time is at least 20mins before any routine. The gym is where I find my peace so I don't mind spending the extra time now. I really can't think of any place else I'd rather be. I'm hooked.

Never thought about yoga or any classes. I do stretching while I'm working out though. Mostly legs during training and DC type shoulder stretching during upper body routines. I do the shoulder stretches as part of warm up but don't stretch while totally cold. I always warm up rotators as well.

All the stretching, warmups, negatives, lighter weights, more reps, partials, iso holds, drop sets, pyramiding weights up, etc... I believe, have all contributed in their own little ways to keep me healthy, injury free and moving forward.

It took me a year to get to the point I'm at. It's been a slow go with a lot of trial and error. But, now I'm confident that I can enter a gym and tear myself down without worry.

One of the biggest things for me was strengthening around the troubled areas and training smart.

I've done well and I'm ready to move onto heavier weight in some areas. Not sure if I'm ready on shoulder yet but I have made awesome progress and continue to do so.

Damn, didn't mean for it to be this long. LOL

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is Fri's entry for BIs and TRIs

Last night was Cardio.

------------------------------------

Usual warmup and rotator cuffs.

First Exercise- Cybex 1 arm BI and DB Overhead extensions.

This exercise is a superset. I train one arm at a time. I start with with the Cy BIs, slow up and slow down for this one.

OHE stays the same weight. I went up on weight this week. Slow up and slow down as well.

Set #1
Bi @40lbs / Tri @ 35= 10/10

Set #2
Bi @45lbs / Tri @ 35= 10/10

Set #3
Bi @50lbs / Tri @ 35= 10/10

----------------------------------

Exercise #2- Cybex 1 arm Tri and DB Concentration Curls

This exercise is done the same as the first, one arm at a time, only starting with machine triceps and ending with DB concentration and curls, slow up, slow down for both.

I went up on weight this week for TRIs.

Set #1
Tri @45lbs / Bi @ 30= 12/10

Set #2
Tri @50lbs / Bi @ 30= 12/10

Set #3
Tri @55lbs / Bi @ 30= 12/10

--------------------------------

Exercise #3 Fixed Cambered Bar BB Curls and Wide Underhand w/Close Grip BB Bench

This exercise is a triset. I start with a fixed BB for curls. Then I immediately lye down on the bench and start wide underhanded pressing then immediately switch to close regular grip. This is one of my favorite BI and TRI exercises.

Slow up and slow down for both BIs and TRIs on this one.

Stayed the same weight this week but TRIs were beat from going up on exercise #2 and keeping the same reps. I had to lower the weight for set 2 and 3. It felt to heavy and was making my shoulder hurt. It was fine after the weight reduction.

Set #1-
60lb BB (fixed) @ 10
115lb BB (oly) W 5/CL 5

Set #2-
60lb BB (fixed) @ 10
95lb BB (oly) W 6/CL 6

Set #3-
60lb BB (fixed) @ 10
95lb BB (oly) W 6/CL 6

I'll stay at the same weight next week for exercises 1 & 2 until I don't have to reduce the weight on exercise #3.

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is yesterday's entry for shoulders. Gym was busy again so I ended up following the same order as the week before and changing an exercise. It's actually a nice little change.

Definitely getting stronger.

Warm up for this is the same as every upper body warm up routine.

Exercise #1 Cybex Shoulder Press

This exercise is done with a 4 sec slow negative.

Went up on each set of reps again this week.

Set #1-
85lbs- 10

Set #2-
90lbs- 10

Set #3-
95lbs- 10

Set #4-
100lbs- 10

Set #5-
105lbs- 10

------------------------

Exercise #2 Cybex Rear Delts

This exercise is slow back and slow forward.

Set #1-
90 @ 15

Set #2-
100 @ 15

Set #3-
110 @ 12

Set #4-
120 @ 10

--------------------------

Exercise #3 Side Delts On Cybex Side Lateral Machine

I pyramid up on this exercise and use a 4 sec drop. I've been going up a little each week, same this week as well.

Set #1
75lbs- 12

Set #2
80lbs- 12

Set #3
85lbs- 12

Exercise #4 Wide/Close - Front/Back Shrugs On the Smith

I use a plate and 35lbs on each side of the smith (185). I didn't go up on weight this week but eliminated the rest pause from last week. I'll go up in weight next week.
Total number of sets- 3

Set #1
185lbs @ Back Wide- 8 / Back Close- 8 / Front Wide- 8 / Front Close- 8

Set #2

Set #3

----------------------------------------

Exercise #5- Smith Machine Shoulder Press

This exercise pyramids up in weight and ends in a drop set. It's also done with a 4 second slow negative.

Total number of sets- 4

Set #1-
85lbs @ 10 reps

Set #2-
95lbs @ 10 reps

Set #3
105lbs @ 8

set #4
135lb drop set
135 @ 4 reps / 115 @ 4 / 95 @ 3 / 75 @ 4

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Decided to switch things around this week since I had a hard time with the 1.5 back squats last week. I did 1 legged hacks first to get a better warm up.

I did usual tread and leg press warm ups for quads.

-----------------------------

Exercise #1- 1 Legged Machine Hack Squats

Slow up, slow down. Felt pretty strong this week and went up (pyramid) in weight on the last three sets.

Set #1
235lbs@ 10/10 (first number represents right leg, second number, left)

Set #2
235lbs@ 10/10

Set #3
245lbs@ 10/10

Set #4
255lbs@ 10/10

Set #5
265lbs@ 10/10

---------------------------------------

Exercise #2- 1.5 Back Squats on the Smith

They are all the way down, half way up, back down then all the way up.

Slow down, slow up.

This was my second week of these. I came in warmed up better at the beginning this week.

I decided to go with lower reps so I wouldn't burn out so quickly. These will have your teardrops crying. LOL

Set #1
115 @ 6

Set #2
135 @ 6

Set #3
165 @ 6

Set #4
185 @ 5

Set #5
205 @ 4

Set #6
115 @ 10 (This last set was a moderate pace)

Exercise #3- Leg Extensions

I went up weight this week and stayed with a consistent 15 reps per set instead of dropping below.

Set #1
130@ 15

Set #2
135@ 15

Set #3
140@ 15

Set #4
145@ 15

Getting stronger each week.

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is yesterday's entry for back and chest. Did cardio the day before.

Usual warm up and rotators.

Exercise #1 Machine Assisted Pull Up / Dip (triset)

My elbow has been giving me more problems since I started deads. I switched it up a little this week and started with two lighter sets to give my elbow a little more warm up time. Unfortunately, it took away from the heavier sets but I did figure out that a very tight grip is making it hurt even more.

I didn't realize it because it wasn't that bad. The worse it gets, the more apparent it becomes.

This exercise is a triset. I start with wide overhand pullups to neutral close grip pullups to dips. On both pullups, I do a 2 second hold at the top followed by a 3 sec negative unless otherwise specified. The dips are a 3 sec drop as well.

Set #1-
Pullups @ 95lbs- 5 wide / 5 Close
Dips @ 78lbs- 10

Set #2-
Pullups @ 95lbs- 5 wide / 5 Close
Dips @ 78lbs- 8

Set #3-
Pullups @ 69.5lbs- 8 wide / 5 Close
Dips @ 52.5lbs- 10

Set #4-
Pullups @ 61lbs- 5 wide / 4 Close
Dips @ 44lbs- 10

Set #5-
Pullups @ 52.5lbs- 5 wide / 3 Close
Dips @ 35.5lbs- 8

Elbow really affected this exercise.

----------------

Exercise #2 Cybex Flat Bench / Cambered Bar Rows (superset)

One rep bench is 2 partials which are 1/3 of a full extension followed by a full extension (not locking out) followed by a 4 sec negative. I pyramid up on this part of the exercise. Then I immediately grab the cambered bar and do normal speed for reps on the rows.

Set #1-
Cybex @ 90lbs 10reps
Rows @ 155 15 reps

Set #2-
Cybex @ 100lbs 9reps
Rows @ 155 15 reps

Set #3-
Cybex @ 110lbs 7reps
Rows @ 155 15 reps

Set #4- (benching is par only)
Cybex @ 130lbs 20 partials
Rows @ 155 15 reps

---------------------------

Exercise #3 Dumbbell Pullovers / Cybex Independent Arm Row (superset)

On this exercise I start with the pullovers on the seat that is slightly angled on the cybex row. I place my feet on the top of where the foot rests are for rowing. It's a good position for the pull overs. The pullovers stay at the same weight but it is a 4 sec negative.

On the rows, I pull low towards my hips and twist my wrists. My hand positioning starts at palms facing down and ends with palms facing up at my hips then back to the original position. No negatives on this one but weight pyramids up.

Set #1-
Pullover @60lbs- 10 reps
Row @ 150lbs- 15 reps

Set #2-
Pullover @60lbs- 10 reps
Row @ 165lbs- 12 reps

Set #3-
Pullover @60lbs- 10 reps
Row @ 180lbs- 11-1 (1 is rest pause)

----------------------

Exercise #4 Cybex Incline Bench

I did partials again for incline since my shoulder has been bothering me with it. I decided on the partials because most of the pain occurs at the top half of the movement.

Went up 10lbs per set but went down a little on reps.

Set #1
100lbs @ 30 par

Set #2
120lbs @ 25 par

Set #3
140lbs @ 17 par

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Yesterday was hammies. Usual warm up.

Last week when I was doing deads, it really effected my elbow. What I did learn though is that a tight grip while training is keeping it messed up. I didn't realize it until it was bad enough to hurt when I was making a tight fist with a straight arm.

What I decided to do was pick up some lifting straps and just use one on the injured arm. The result was no pain. Now I can be on the road to getting this shit healed without taking time off. I was a little worried about it all this week. I'm making excellent progress and gains.

Exercise #1- Deads

I switched to sumo this week I decided to stay at the same weight and reps since it was my first time doing them like this. Form got sloppy at 255 and 305. I'll probably go down next week till I get used to the new movement. I felt strong at the beginning but that changed in the middle.

Insert ego into back pocket. LOL

Set #1
105 @ 12

Set #2
105 @ 12

Set #3
155 @ 10

Set #4
205 @ 10

Set #5
255 @ 4 (last 2 sloppy)

Set #6
305 @ 1 (very sloppy)

Set #7
205 @ 10

Set #8
205 @ 10

Set #9
155 @ 12

Exercise #2- Lying Leg Curls

Set #1
75lbs @ 10 (slow up, slow down for first 2 sets)

Set #2
80lbs @ 10

Set #3
85lbs @ 15 (fast for sets 3 & 4)

Set #4
90lbs @ 15

-----------------------------

Exercise #3- Good Mornings

I couldn't get to the max rack on this one. I hit the fixed BBs and started light. I went for reps. Anything over 80lbs screws with my elbow getting it over the top of my head and back over. I'm just not taking any chances.

Slow down, slow up.

Set #1-
40 @ 15

Set #2-
50 @ 15

Set #3-
60 @ 15

Set #4-
70 @ 15

Set #5-
80 @ 20

-------------------

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Yesterday was Calves, Cardio and Abs.

Usual cardio.

Usual abs.

Standing calf raises.

I won't bore you with the details. LOL

HDH

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
Keep up the great work, youll get back. Im 41 as well with my share of ailments that are becoming a royal pain. The daily struggle that we endure friend.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Really like reading through your log HDH, 41 isn't really that old. I think our lives are really just beginning because we have had 30 or 40yrs to figure out how the world works :D

Just out of interest, have you ever tried seated GM's? If not, they are a nice alternative to the usual standing ones that normally get done on hammy or back day.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Keep up the great work, youll get back. Im 41 as well with my share of ailments that are becoming a royal pain. The daily struggle that we endure friend.
LOL, most mornings I wake up feeling like I got hit by a truck. LOL

Only a couple more weeks till I slow down a bit though.

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Really like reading through your log HDH, 41 isn't really that old. I think our lives are really just beginning because we have had 30 or 40yrs to figure out how the world works :D

Just out of interest, have you ever tried seated GM's? If not, they are a nice alternative to the usual standing ones that normally get done on hammy or back day.

Thanks bro. I agree on not being that old. I really feel like my life is just getting started in many ways.

I like reading other's logs but barely have the time to keep up on my own. I'm coming up on a little time here shortly so I can catch back up with everyone.

Never tried seated. I do like a little variety though so I might give them a try.

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is yesterday's entry for BIs and TRIs.

Next week I'm not going to have a BIs and TRIs day. My elbow is giving me to much trouble. It's taking almost all the way through the second exercise to get warmed up good.

I'm going to do BIs on back day and TRIs on shoulder day. That will eliminate having to go through the pain of warming it up twice.

------------------------------------

Usual warmup and rotator cuffs.

First Exercise- Cybex 1 arm BI and DB Overhead extensions.

This exercise is a superset. I train one arm at a time. I start with with the Cy BIs, slow up and slow down for this one.

OHE stays the same weight. Slow up and slow down as well.

Set #1
Bi @40lbs / Tri @ 35= 10/10

Set #2
Bi @45lbs / Tri @ 35= 10/10

Set #3
Bi @50lbs / Tri @ 35= 10/10

Exercise #2- Cybex 1 arm Tri and DB Concentration Curls

This exercise is done the same as the first, one arm at a time, only starting with machine triceps and ending with DB concentration and curls, slow up, slow down for both.

Set #1
Tri @45lbs / Bi @ 30= 12/10

Set #2
Tri @50lbs / Bi @ 30= 12/10

Set #3
Tri @55lbs / Bi @ 30= 12/10

Exercise #3 Fixed Cambered Bar BB Curls and Wide Underhand w/Close Grip BB Bench

This exercise is a triset. I start with a fixed BB for curls. Then I immediately lye down on the bench and start wide underhanded pressing then immediately switch to close regular grip.

Slow up and slow down for both BIs and TRIs on this one.

Set #1-
60lb BB (fixed) @ 10
115lb BB (oly) W 5/CL 5

Set #2-
60lb BB (fixed) @ 10
115lb BB (oly) W 4/CL 4

Set #3-
60lb BB (fixed) @ 10
115lb BB (oly) W 4/CL 4/'[

HDH

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic