Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Need some insight into the male psyche

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
I'm willing to bet the OP has gotten turned down once, at most twice for a spot. This thread is just dramatic. Do you really need insight into the "male psyche" because of this traumatic experience? You'll be ok, I promise.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
just look at someone and say "Hey... come give me a spot real quick... just don't touch it until I say so!" and make sure your tone sounds like you mean business... It will work... That's what I do... BUT, I am not super cool like kets and have super human powers in which I don't ever need a spot or offer a spot. I may not be much on conversation at the gym... but I will help others if they request , spot or form changes, whatever... We are all human, and at some point will need help from others... and... If I were at your gym I would spot you all the way home... just to make sure you made it safely ;)

Last edited:

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
you guys are too funny....yea..I'm sure her gym is the only one with a bunch of dicks that are opposed to helping women...lmao :)

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I think there is something else at play here. I don't know why someone would refuse to spot you. Perhaps it's like Jen said and you are just so darn sexy that they can't trust themselves around you. I train at home so it's not really an issue for me, but when I did train in a commercial gym I don't remember having issues other than off peak times, less people around or the people who were there maybe being inexperienced.

lol, that's not quite what I said ;)

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
So I paraphrased a little, same idea though.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Why do all the chicks who powerlift have beautiful, supple breastesses? Coincidence? I think not! haha

But in all seriousness you should probably seek out another facility like POB had mentioned. Next time you are at the gym pay careful attention to who is PLing and who is just effing around. Try to make friends with some powerlifting guys. Make your intentions very clear, that you are all business (unless you are looking for some action, never a bad thing, haha) and really need help in the spot department.

You have to be clear with guys because a lot of them are intimidated by the 3 B's of women.... Beauty, boobs*, and brains ;)

*No, this is not the same thing as beauty!!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
. I am doing wendler 531 right now and I need a spotter for my last sets of just my core lifts, squat, bench, overhead press .

I have done 5/3/1 and I dont ever need a spotter. The last sets (Your "+" sets), you should be able to tell if you have another rep or not in you. If not, you have not been training a while. On 5/3/1, it is not about going to 'failure', it is trying to improve. I can feel if I have another rep in me or not.

Hell I have trained alone most all my life with no spotters ever.

On bench, if you are worried, drag a flat bench in the power rack and set the safeties to catch you if you cant get it up.

On squat, the safeties should catch you as well. Dump the weight if you have to...and learn to feel if you have another rep in you or not.

Dont know why in hell you would need a spotter on OHP....if you cant get it, just lower it back down.

Deads.....no spotter obviously.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I'm sorry to hear about your spotting issue schmidt.

It's nothing you are doing. I think it's kinda flattering when someone asks me for a spot. That means they're entrusting me with their workout.

It would be great if you could find a workout partner, but again, it's hard to. I think you should try networking with other ladies or even dudes in the gym. Start telling people hey, how are you and you might hit it off with someone that you can train with.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Hell I got people offering to spot when I don't need it.

But seriously why not ask another gal if it's 65 lbs another gal could handle it

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
not really......we meant two different things :)

You have to remember my acerbic wit when reading my posts. It was your comment that it could possibly be related to her choice of dress and the prejudice suffered resulting.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
Perhaps its a Muslim gym. Try wearing a Burqa

burqa workout.jpg

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic