schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
Two does sound better than one! LMAO.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Personally in 23 years I've never spotted another and never requested. I'm there for me, i tell people I'm here for me not you. The gym reauires being selfish . During workouts.
However- I'm also a trainer - then I will spot, I tell people get a workout partner if you need spots. To me you can never expect anyone to be there. So get a workout partner or when benching work in with another benching. If not use power rack or smith machine .

Like DLTH said too- most people don't care that you are a girl or what you look like so that means nothing . Working out always on many levels requires creativity.

Last edited:
Janie

Janie

TID Lady Member
May 8, 2014
Honestly I don't think in this day an age anyone would be bothered that your female, fat, thin, strong, weak, new, old, big chested or small chested! I think as been said if you just shout out for someone enough times you might get more of a response regardless of anything else. And hopefully after a few shout outs they will click you're not an alien or something to be afraid of and you will just become like the rest of them and include you a bit more. Don't be worried about been a woman or if you look right because that's not going to be the reason I'm sure!

dallas

dallas

May 23, 2014
I second ketsugo/Janie. I've never spotted anyone or been spotted other than when I had a training partner and I personally don't want to spot anyone. When I'm in a public gym I don't notice anyone in the their unless they get in my face. Every weight I lift is for my own personal gain. Use the power cage so you can put it down anytime you fail. Or are you using to much weight and its scaring you.

Idea ???

Change to an all female gym or get a full time training partner that wants to watch you train.

I personally think the men don't care about you or even notice you. If they were power lifters then they might spot (from what I've seen). But most bodybuilders are all about themselves.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
I often say to people, if they need a spot just yell out. Its not going to change my genetics and make my arms shrink if I spend 30 seconds spotting some one.
It doesn't happen very often that some one needs a spot. I enjoy giving them some encouragement as they lift to get a couple or few more reps. After training for 25 years I know that its not going to have any effect on my size to do something small like that for somebody else occasionally.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
yea, not understanding really as I never have an issue but i'm going to say this and I hope you are not offended...yes, it could be the way you are dressed...you are not being taken serious. I see this all of the time at my gym..women in short shorts, tank tops etc..just don't look like they are there to train but to get attention. You might want to consider dressing down a bit..I know it sucks that that might be the issue but it's reality. :)

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
People actually say "no" when you ask them???

In all my years of lifting I've never refused a spot when asked nor have I ever had someone refuse to spot me when asked.

All I can say is make sure you wait until they are resting between sets. Try and time your request so you don't interrupt their workout.

Other than that I got nothing. Seems bizarre to me...but this whole world is going crazy so it shouldn't surprise me...

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Just a bunch of pricks most likely that are afraid you will make them look bad, most guys in the gym are insecure douche bags and don't really train just load up a ton of weight and stand around acting like they will lift it.
I usually do 5 sets to their one...lol and theirs is half assed at best thus their impressive physiques haha

I trained forever without spots or training partners though so they really are not needed a vast majority of the time.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
People actually say "no" when you ask them???

In all my years of lifting I've never refused a spot when asked nor have I ever had someone refuse to spot me when asked.

All I can say is make sure you wait until they are resting between sets. Try and time your request so you don't interrupt their workout.

Other than that I got nothing. Seems bizarre to me...but this whole world is going crazy so it shouldn't surprise me...

Same here in fact I have given people shit for not asking and then getting pinned.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I hate asking for a spot but when I do, I have to chose the person out as they look reliable to spot and won't drop shit on me since it's almost always bench or OHP.

Bunch of dicks at your gym is what it sounds like, no other reason not to assist. I actually offer my help to some people as I would rather help them from the start and be set to help them as opposed to pulling weight off of them.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I'd do it? When? Where? Just keep trying. In all things that matter no giving up.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I think there is something else at play here. I don't know why someone would refuse to spot you. Perhaps it's like Jen said and you are just so darn sexy that they can't trust themselves around you. I train at home so it's not really an issue for me, but when I did train in a commercial gym I don't remember having issues other than off peak times, less people around or the people who were there maybe being inexperienced.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic