Latest Member
AKC83
What's New?

Need some insight into the male psyche

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
I am having a real hard time getting someone to commit to spotting me. I am a reg in the gym and I do all my lifts alone however I am doing wendler 531 right now and I need a spotter for my last sets of just my core lifts, squat, bench, overhead press when I'm lifting 90 and 95% of my max. It's not a lot of time that I'm asking for. And I try to get someone to agree to help prior to getting into the gym. I feel like then I'm not just jumping into their routine breaking up their focus. But it seems I can get someone to agree once and that's it. If I ask again they either say they can't or don't answer. I don't understand. Is spotting a girl just not manly?

1 I'm not a double bagger, lol. 5ft 100lbs
2. I'm not a novice lifter, in fact in many lifts my form is better than most
3. I'm not a talker, I don't talk their ear off or anything
4 I smile and am appreciative when they help
5 gym clothes? short shorts and a tank but I'm a 32D so it's not like my chest is hidden. Maybe I should wear a Baggie t shirt?
6 I'm not lifting extremely light. Not one of those 10lb dumbell girls going through the motions.

So why is it I can't find help? What am I doing wrong?

I just want help so I can increase my core lifts but I can't do that comfortably without help.

dallas

dallas

May 23, 2014
Just not nice men at your gym. Are their no staff that can help ? or any other women ?.

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
The staff is always training. And when their not I feel funny asking. I feel like should pay them. No women that lift like I do.

dallas

dallas

May 23, 2014
Just arrogant men at your gym I would think. A lot of them about. Sorry I don't have an answer :^(

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
Thanks Dallas. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something offensive that was making people not want to help. Maybe since most are younger maybe they are just not comfortable with women in the gym. Maybe they think it's some sort of come on or maybe they think I will think that they are coming on to me. I don't know. I'm just frustrated because I need help to progress.

texas boy

texas boy

May 28, 2014
Probably intimidated by a hot chic lifting more than them. I wish you luck in the future though. That wouldn't happen here in my gym.......or all of Texas for that matter.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Must be you are in New York City. . . or LA.

Anywhere else and common courtesy would result in someone helping you.

I would approach someone in the room where you are training a few minutes ahead of time and tell them you will need a spot for 3 sets and ask them if they can do it. If that doesn't work after asking a couple people, ask out loud: will someone give me a spot??? That ought to embarass the guys into being gentlemen. If that doesn't work you can ask the staff or you are SOL.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
Sounds like a gay gym. The guys at my gym would be lining up to spot you.

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
Ha! I'm definitely not lifting more than them. I thought it might be that they felt stupid helping with my 65lb OHP. Which is 65% of my weight. Lol. But I can't progress without assistance.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I train in a gym for PL and strongmen. I have been asked to spot a woman before and on squats there is the thought that I might accidentally grab some boob. But if it's a serious lifter I think they would gladly trade a handful of boob for not getting stapled.

What might help is actually having two side spotters instead.

sounds like you need to find a more serious training facility.

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Umm because you are interrupting their workout? That was a tough one. Nobody cares that you are a girl.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Come to me I will help you:eek:

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic