Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

MOST PEOPLE lift way TOO HEAVY!!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I've been doing this long enough to know that there is no ONE WAY that works best for everyone. When someone says "this is the way you have to do it." It screams one thing to me: novice.

B

BikerTrash

Rottens cookie dealer
Mar 19, 2011
Most bodybuilders lift way too heavy for OPTIMAL MUSCLE GROWTH! I see it everyday! Bodybuilders are NOT powerlifters, and although there is indeed a direct correlation between strength and muscle mass, you still need to be able perform the proper amount of REPETITIONS!

It's NOT about how strong you are; it's about how strong you are IN THE 8-12 REP RANGE! It doesn't matter how much weight you can do 3 times! Listen, if you need a SPOT just for a "lift-off", chances are you are too heavy(there are exceptions). If you can only do 3, 4, or even just 5 reps, YOU ARE GOING TOO HEAVY! Trust me, you will grow MUCH BETTER from a SOLID, CLEAN 8-12 repetitions than you will from a SLOPPY 4-6. Heck, even a perfect 4-6 will not build as much muscle as 8-12, but going very heavy occasionally does have it's benefits as well. For instace, the stronger you are, the more weight you can do in the 8-12 rep rage!

Give it a try, I guarantee you wiill realize that you've been lifting too heavy and it is actually holding you back. So, take all of that STRENGTH that you have built-up, and start REPPING THAT SHIT OUT!! LOTS OF SETS TOO! At least 15-20 for all muscles! :)

This post above^^^ makes me think your that 140 lb small little puke in my gym this morning walking around with a tank top on with your little chest all puffed up that was watching me Flat bench heavy as Phuk and making animal noises while doing heavy ass incline Db's with the 150's .....Lol.....

NEMESIS

NEMESIS

Feb 23, 2013
I used to do 1RMs that are heavier then what i can handle. Of course i have a spotter, but the result is it shocks my body in a way that the next set (for repitition) the reps now feel lighter due to the jolt. This method was borrowed from a Flex magazine that taught lifters to break plateaus. It did wonderd for my chest development but thats just me.

R

regular

MuscleHead
May 31, 2012
Muscular adaptations in response to three different resistance-training regimens: specificity of repetition maximum training zones.

Source
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University, Irvine Hall, rm 430, Athens, OH 45701, USA.

Abstract
Thirty-two untrained men [mean (SD) age 22.5 (5.8) years, height 178.3 (7.2) cm, body mass 77.8 (11.9) kg] participated in an 8-week progressive resistance-training program to investigate the "strength-endurance continuum". Subjects were divided into four groups: a low repetition group (Low Rep, n = 9) performing 3-5 repetitions maximum (RM) for four sets of each exercise with 3 min rest between sets and exercises, an intermediate repetition group (Int Rep, n = 11) performing 9-11 RM for three sets with 2 min rest, a high repetition group (High Rep, n = 7) performing 20-28 RM for two sets with 1 min rest, and a non-exercising control group (Con, n = 5). Three exercises (leg press, squat, and knee extension) were performed 2 days/week for the first 4 weeks and 3 days/week for the final 4 weeks. Maximal strength [one repetition maximum, 1RM), local muscular endurance (maximal number of repetitions performed with 60% of 1RM), and various cardiorespiratory parameters (e.g., maximum oxygen consumption, pulmonary ventilation, maximal aerobic power, time to exhaustion) were assessed at the beginning and end of the study. In addition, pre- and post-training muscle biopsy samples were analyzed for fiber-type composition, cross-sectional area, myosin heavy chain (MHC) content, and capillarization. Maximal strength improved significantly more for the Low Rep group compared to the other training groups, and the maximal number of repetitions at 60% 1RM improved the most for the High Rep group. In addition, maximal aerobic power and time to exhaustion significantly increased at the end of the study for only the High Rep group. All three major fiber types (types I, IIA, and IIB) hypertrophied for the Low Rep and Int Rep groups, whereas no significant increases were demonstrated for either the High Rep or Con groups. However, the percentage of type IIB fibers decreased, with a concomitant increase in IIAB fibers for all three resistance-trained groups. These fiber-type conversions were supported by a significant decrease in MHCIIb accompanied by a significant increase in MHCIIa. No significant changes in fiber-type composition were found in the control samples. Although all three training regimens resulted in similar fiber-type transformations (IIB to IIA), the low to intermediate repetition resistance-training programs induced a greater hypertrophic effect compared to the high repetition regimen. The High Rep group, however, appeared better adapted for submaximal, prolonged contractions, with significant increases after training in aerobic power and time to exhaustion. Thus, low and intermediate RM training appears to induce similar muscular adaptations, at least after short-term training in previously untrained subjects. Overall, however, these data demonstrate that both physical performance and the associated physiological adaptations are linked to the intensity and number of repetitions performed, and thus lend support to the "strength-endurance continuum".

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
I've been doing this long enough to know that there is no ONE WAY that works best for everyone. When someone says "this is the way you have to do it." It screams one thing to me: novice.
LOL, I was thinking the same thing when I read this! If you are going to say "trust me" and then basically tell half the board they are doing it wrong you better at least back it up with some real pictures of yourself. What have you accomplished that we should trust you and change the way most of us lift? Did you read an article in Muscle and Fitness magazine and now you are an expert? :)

Last edited:
B

biggunz

Dec 3, 2012
I completely agree I have lifed like a powerlifter for all my years lifting and yet I do look like a bodybuilder I regret it after tearing my distal bicep tendon slow controled negative lifting is way better for muscle growth. Heavy lifting leads to injury always at one time or another.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
People get hurt walking all the time so is it safe to say walking leads to injury at one point or another ?

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
People get hurt walking all the time so is it safe to say walking leads to injury at one point or another ?

I agree RR. I want to add that if you train to be the best you can be injuries are going to happen from time to time regardless of form etc. this is true in any sport. The key is to try to keep the injuries to the minimum. But they will happen.

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011

This is one of the better post I have read in a long time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic