Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

MOST PEOPLE lift way TOO HEAVY!!

N

Nate2010

Sep 15, 2010
Most bodybuilders lift way too heavy for OPTIMAL MUSCLE GROWTH! I see it everyday! Bodybuilders are NOT powerlifters, and although there is indeed a direct correlation between strength and muscle mass, you still need to be able perform the proper amount of REPETITIONS!

It's NOT about how strong you are; it's about how strong you are IN THE 8-12 REP RANGE! It doesn't matter how much weight you can do 3 times! Listen, if you need a SPOT just for a "lift-off", chances are you are too heavy(there are exceptions). If you can only do 3, 4, or even just 5 reps, YOU ARE GOING TOO HEAVY! Trust me, you will grow MUCH BETTER from a SOLID, CLEAN 8-12 repetitions than you will from a SLOPPY 4-6. Heck, even a perfect 4-6 will not build as much muscle as 8-12, but going very heavy occasionally does have it's benefits as well. For instace, the stronger you are, the more weight you can do in the 8-12 rep rage!

Give it a try, I guarantee you wiill realize that you've been lifting too heavy and it is actually holding you back. So, take all of that STRENGTH that you have built-up, and start REPPING THAT SHIT OUT!! LOTS OF SETS TOO! At least 15-20 for all muscles! :)

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
That's how I train. As heavy as possible in the 8-12 rep range. It has treated me very well. I do know a few that grow really good in the 6 rep range but it's just not for me.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I don't agree with the if you need a spot or lift off your going to heavy. I use a lift off when I do 315 or 405 to keep me from flattening out and to keep my shoulders back. 15-20 sets is way too much for biceps. It's a very small muscle.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I consider myself a hybrid lifter as I'm gaining mass but I love throwing up bigger weight....currently bulking now and only 4-5 sets out of 20 are higher than 8 reps and most of the time, two of those sets are warmups and not "working" sets.

My optimal growth has been (while natty too) in the 4-8 rep range but I also superset accessory lifts for high volume so there is constant confusion.

Staying in the 8-12 rep range for longer than 3 weeks for me allows comfort for my muscles. I'm always shocking the shit out of them.

5x5's
Reverse pyramids (4, 6, 8, 10)
pyramids (10, 8, 6, 4)
5/3/1

They've all been worked in and out of routines over the past few months....SST by brotheriron has a pretty good format too. Check out his log.

Overall, for bodybuilders though, I feel you're about 80% accurate as about 10% will be jaded due to genetics and the other 10% for shit form and not working focused with proper rest between sets. (diet being taken out of the equation).

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Good point. Mine stay sore no matter if it's heavy w/low rep or light w/medium to high rep. Recovery seems slow.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I use all kinds of rep ranges.

Big three I never do more than 6 reps and do lots of triples & singles, most other compound movements I do 6-8 and sometimes will go as low as 5, and isolation stuff is 8-12.

There's no such thing as "too heavy" as long as you are using good form.

sjb1962

sjb1962

Aug 21, 2012
Leave your ego at the door. I see guys that are stick skinny doing some of the weight I do. I don't care!

I agree with that. Also, it's what works for you. I've been lifting for almost 40 years. Some years more than others. But having said that, I have found what works for me and what I'm comfortable with. I don't claim to be an expert. There are too many of them walking around anyway. Just my 2 cents...

L

lennoxchi

Nov 20, 2012
periodization calls for switching up the reps ranges from time to time. as you guys know, the body is smart, too smart imo.

having said that, i normally lift as you in the 8-12 for as heavy as i can go, but from time to time i go as low as 6 reps to boost strength and confuse my body.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Everybody wants to be big but they don't want to lift these heavy ass weights.....isn't that what Ronnie Coleman used to say.

Ill stick to lifting heavy and growing rapidly, I can firmly and confidently say there is no way I grow better lifting in that high of a rep range. Never feeli get a good solid workout using high reps and light weight.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I didn't start growing as rapidly as I did until I started hitting my compound lifts in the 2 to 7 rep range. Mostly 3 to 5. But I would do a lot of sets to build up the volume. It just takes real heavy weight to cause my body to adapt.

Although maybe BP is right and that I just wasn't strong IN THAT REP RANGE.

Either way a one size fits all lifting routine doesn't work. Otherwise we'd all be using Jay Cutler's alleged routine from whatever muscle mag.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic