Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
Shoulder day, BB shrugs on the smith machine

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I must be hitting mine with the heavy deads and some of the rope pulls, other than that I don't do any direct trap work.

Heavy deads. I have pretty decent traps for a female and do no direct trap work.

Seriously. Show me someone who pulls in the 5's or higher and I'll show you someone with thick, solid traps.

Last edited:
HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
You guys are teasing me with the heavy deads :p

HDH

S

strongishsteve

Apr 29, 2013
Traps have always been a weak spot for me.

I’ve always done the 'strict with a squeeze' on all my shrugs (once a week BB and DB once a week behind the back and DB) since throwing that out the window and sticking about 10-20% over my max dead on a bar and spending 20 mins doing as many reps as possible, often with form that makes onlookers cry and vomit simultaneously, they've started growing like mad. Albeit only from "shit" to "he might lift weights"
reps tend to start in the 5-7 range and end in the 2-3

I also do a fair bit of cleaning and a lot of overhead work (presses and jerks mainly) which probably helps.

Azog

Azog

Sep 9, 2012
When I lifted at a dedicated Oly lifting gym, we would have shrug contests after our workouts. We would just go stupid heavy and as long as the bar was moving, it counted. Didn't really get a good squeeze or slow up/down. Worked great for me at the time.

On the flipside of that, I now do slow, strict lower weight reps and my traps are improving and are one of my stronger points (for a skinny shit). Both ways work!

S

strongishsteve

Apr 29, 2013
that sounds hellishly good fun!!

ever heard the old bodybuilding mantra "you cant flex bone"? I think that stands for traps (and legs but that's not the subject) more than most bodyparts, I had weak small traps, all the "stretch and squeeze" stuff made no difference, once there's some meat and strength the traps I think you can get a lot more out of that style training. given that you O lifted and did crazy/awesome shrug competitions I'd hazard that it set you up for success in that style of training.

just like concentration curls aint gonna help my bony arms but someone who's put in their time with heavy BB curls and stuck some size on could reach that level of development with them.

just my £0.02

Bubbagump

Bubbagump

Feb 28, 2013
Deadlifts seem to have put the most on my traps. Shrugs help. I have added upright BB rows lately but I cant tell any change yet.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Never seen anybody use the smith for shrugs?
I have, and I don't pay those 'lifters' any attention.

Usually the same type of muppets that like to take up the squat rack just so they can text and browse Facebook.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When I lifted at a dedicated Oly lifting gym, we would have shrug contests after our workouts. We would just go stupid heavy and as long as the bar was moving, it counted. Didn't really get a good squeeze or slow up/down. Worked great for me at the time.

On the flipside of that, I now do slow, strict lower weight reps and my traps are improving and are one of my stronger points (for a skinny shit). Both ways work!

That has me thinking about how I've been thinking for a week about throwing hi-pulls into the mix somehow. I have no effin clue how to execute one though. My training partner started in Oly lifting until he tore a trap so I suppose I'll bug him about it.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I have, and I don't pay those 'lifters' any attention.

Usually the same type of muppets that like to take up the squat rack just so they can text and browse Facebook.

EPIC.....you, sir, are alright. Lol.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic