Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Monster Traps

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Never seen anybody use the smith for shrugs?

I've got a hell of a smith routine for shrugs. Makes me want to drop after a set...

wide/close back, wide/close front then pick up plates and hit those till I can hardly breath. But I use that same intensity with all my lifts ;)

Most progress I've made with them since my back problems limit my heavy lifting.

HDH

Azog

Azog

Sep 9, 2012
That has me thinking about how I've been thinking for a week about throwing hi-pulls into the mix somehow. I have no effin clue how to execute one though. My training partner started in Oly lifting until he tore a trap so I suppose I'll bug him about it.

I used to hit lots of high pulls. They hit the upper back/traps well. They are hard to explain. Basically just load the bar heavy and yank the ****er as if you were cleaning it. Focus more on an upper back/trap contraction tho. The bar should explode and move quickly to the neck area. You got bumper plates and/or boxes? Boxes are the greatest thing ever for oly lifting.

Azog

Azog

Sep 9, 2012
Forgot to mention, do not go under the bar. Just continue the pull in a fashion similar to upright rows.

B

Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
I have, and I don't pay those 'lifters' any attention.

Usually the same type of muppets that like to take up the squat rack just so they can text and browse Facebook.

So if its not done the same way you do it, the guys are muppets?

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Deads or pulls of some variation ie power cleans, high pulls etc and imo a shrug is a shrug no matter if it is db, bb, smith machine in front close wide or levitating.

L

lennoxchi

Nov 20, 2012
Are you joking or being serious here... I can't tell, lol.

Never seen anybody use the smith for shrugs?

I use the SM for reverse shrugs which is the only way i normally do them on a regular basis. stand up right and squeeze the shit out of every rep, no stupid heavy weight is needed. i have a hard time doing shrugs in front because i have bend forward a bit to get the range of motion and i dont care for that.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That has me thinking about how I've been thinking for a week about throwing hi-pulls into the mix somehow. I have no effin clue how to execute one though. My training partner started in Oly lifting until he tore a trap so I suppose I'll bug him about it.

I have a thread on here with a vid to illustrate what I wrote on how to perform a snatch high pull (I believe). Snatch and clean high pulls are a lot harder to perform than most think. You don't pull the bar up with your arms. If you're doing it this than you're doing it wrong. For starters POB, I'd recommend you perform just snatch pulls and not snatch high pulls. And yes there is a difference.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
heavy deads for me. I have tried the reverse shrugs in the Smith..bout the only thing I have found good for that setup myself..hate the smith machine!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
For those looking for something new for traps, try overhead shrugs on the smith. I started these a couple years ago due to an injury and loved them.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic