Samson0692
What's New?

May be going under the knife

T

Therealkiller

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2019
Yo,

Do you mean your shoulder muscles as in your deltoids (but really the rotator cuff underneath) or the shoulder blade (scapular) muscles?
The ache in your scapular muscles will start to dramatically decrease at around 4 weeks post-op.
When was have a shoulder injury or obviously surgery, or body "locks down" the affected side via the neck, traps, and to some extent the scapular muscles. Basically saying, "Hey there dumbass, do not move your arm, ok!"

If you have someone to do some soft tissue work, have them start with light pressure and then go deeper on knots with thumb and/or elbow.
You can use a tennis ball to start then progress to a golf or lacrosse ball and lean against the wall and work you scapular muscles.

I never have anyone told me that they regretted shoulder or knee surgery, just regretting waiting to get it down.

I am actually 6 weeks post-op rotator cuff and long head of biceps tendon repair. I really have not lifted since January and loose skin is just not an issue with people who lose weight, but also who loose muscle mass. :confused:

Keep positive and it will get better! Hey, at least it is football season.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Yo,

Do you mean your shoulder muscles as in your deltoids (but really the rotator cuff underneath) or the shoulder blade (scapular) muscles?
The ache in your scapular muscles will start to dramatically decrease at around 4 weeks post-op.
When was have a shoulder injury or obviously surgery, or body "locks down" the affected side via the neck, traps, and to some extent the scapular muscles. Basically saying, "Hey there dumbass, do not move your arm, ok!"

If you have someone to do some soft tissue work, have them start with light pressure and then go deeper on knots with thumb and/or elbow.
You can use a tennis ball to start then progress to a golf or lacrosse ball and lean against the wall and work you scapular muscles.

I never have anyone told me that they regretted shoulder or knee surgery, just regretting waiting to get it down.

I am actually 6 weeks post-op rotator cuff and long head of biceps tendon repair. I really have not lifted since January and loose skin is just not an issue with people who lose weight, but also who loose muscle mass. :confused:

Keep positive and it will get better! Hey, at least it is football season.

You got it exactly. It's the constant fatigue from the protective mechanism. You can even see the effected shoulder riding higher in the mirror. For the record, I no longer like mirrors. lol

I'm glad to hear that no one regrets having the surgery long term. I know where I was and I painfully know what it's going to take to get back there.

I do have my lovely bride dig in my shoulder but just lightly. I still feel some odd pain that I never experienced before when she pushes deep.

I could not conceive not lifting for that length of time. I hope you can soon start filling out that loose skin. The only thing I found more difficult then lifting is not lifting.

Thanks for the information. Makes me feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel with regard to the pain.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
I told my doctor to scheduled my shoulder surgeries in December so I could hunt most of the season and hunt the rut. I bowhunted this morning and watched two nice mature 8 pointers fight while an even larger buck stood by and watched them. None of them came within bow range. I did have a six pointer walk by me at 10yds that I let walk. Overall it was good morning to be in a treestand even though I didn't bring any meat home.

T

Therealkiller

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2019
Jake The other Snake,

If you find a knot, you can have your bride apply pressure, hold as you breath in and out, then go a little deeper on the spot as you exhale. It will eventually release due to the ischemic pressure. But, obviously you go lighter in the beginning after surgery.

Yes, it has been one big shit show. I also run from mirrors, like a werewolf from silver. Lifting has been the mainstay in my life for a very long time... I had a SLAP repair about 8 years ago (about 4 weeks after competing, the rear dble bi pose was excruciating), my long head of bicep's was damaged, but the ortho did not doing anything as it would impact my bicep's shape. This time, there was no option not to cut the remaining tendon and re-attach it.

They use what is called a bicep's button. Sound cute? https://www.arthrex.com/resources/a...toral-biceps-tenodesis-using-cortical-buttons

It takes 12 weeks or so for bone to form over your anchors. Until then, you will be performing ROM.

Anabolic Beast, I will be sharing the knife with you in December. Yea, that is right, I am not done yet... I am having a 2nd surgery on my quad, or pre-patellar tendon.

Looking forward to 2020!!!!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I told my doctor to scheduled my shoulder surgeries in December so I could hunt most of the season and hunt the rut. I bowhunted this morning and watched two nice mature 8 pointers fight while an even larger buck stood by and watched them. None of them came within bow range. I did have a six pointer walk by me at 10yds that I let walk. Overall it was good morning to be in a treestand even though I didn't bring any meat home.

Damn, looks like your odds on giving a nice buck a dirt nap is pretty good. Biggest one I have on a trail-cam is a 8 with about an 18" outside spread. He's a shooter in my area of PA. He went stealth for a week, no visual or trail-cam pics. Showed up last night. Walked in and never turned. He knew something was awry because he never browsed and it took him 10 min to close from 30 yds to 25 yds.

He'll make a mistake and I'll be there. Just need to put the time in.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Jake The other Snake,

They use what is called a bicep's button. Sound cute? https://www.arthrex.com/resources/a...toral-biceps-tenodesis-using-cortical-buttons

It takes 12 weeks or so for bone to form over your anchors. Until then, you will be performing ROM.

Anabolic Beast, I will be sharing the knife with you in December. Yea, that is right, I am not done yet... I am having a 2nd surgery on my quad, or pre-patellar tendon.

Looking forward to 2020!!!!

I had that done for my complete pec. rupture. Damn Dr.s are just body handymen; drill and screw.

What are you having done to your quad?

T

Therealkiller

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2019
Doc will see when he goes in. I guess it could be a slight trim up, or he may have to anchor the tendon back in. I did not have it done when it first happened as it was not as severe when I injured it 10 years earlier and had to have it operated on. It has gotten worse over the past several years and a successful leg workout was one with no pain. I even irritated it doing bodywieght squats during warm-up! Needless to say, no more barbell squats for me. That is what initially got me twice.

How did the pec surgery turn out?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Doc will see when he goes in. I guess it could be a slight trim up, or he may have to anchor the tendon back in. I did not have it done when it first happened as it was not as severe when I injured it 10 years earlier and had to have it operated on. It has gotten worse over the past several years and a successful leg workout was one with no pain. I even irritated it doing bodywieght squats during warm-up! Needless to say, no more barbell squats for me. That is what initially got me twice.

How did the pec surgery turn out?

Hope it works out for ya! I squatted some good weight in my day and up to my recent layoff, could pop a 550 single on a bad day if I had too. Couldn't picture not being able to squat.

Pec was done at 47 y.o. at 49 I singled 390 in a meet at 215 lbs so I'm calling that a successful surgery. Hoping for the same results this time also.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
5 weeks post op and had a Dr. visit yesterday. Well a P.A. appointment since I never really saw the Dr. Yeah I was pissed about that.

Long story short. She said I COULD have pain for a few more month. I just would like to get up at 3 AM to take a piss and not have a throbbing shoulder. Back in the gym maybe another month.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
My unsolicited advice would be to not get into any kind of a rush to get back to lifting. I’ve seen guys try to come back too soon and re- injure themselves. It’s hard watching your hard earned muscle disappear, but muscle memory is awesome and it does come back pretty quick.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
My unsolicited advice would be to not get into any kind of a rush to get back to lifting. I’ve seen guys try to come back too soon and re- injure themselves. It’s hard watching your hard earned muscle disappear, but muscle memory is awesome and it does come back pretty quick.
Thanks AB and I couldn't agree with you any more. I could be doing some leg work and maybe a few other things now but it's not in my DNA to 1/2 ass things. That being said, when the Dr. cuts me loose, I will slowly work back into it and not be stupid. I have a goal and re-injuring this is not in the equation.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Been working back into the gym. Did the bar on bench 4 weeks ago and felt it in the shoulder and oddly enough, in my tri. Don't know what's up with the tricep BS.

Yesterday I finished with 85x15. First few reps was a little odd feeling but by the 2nd set, it felt real good. It is only 85 lbs though.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic